Checklist: Things to look out for when buying a place

therock

On 7/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, Throttle2 said:

Of course not.

Its not for the masses.

I love the love of off form concrete that Tadao revolutionized as well as the strIaght lines with light play

I love it so much, did it for my own Punggol HDB

image.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 12/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, therock said:

I read the article, I am only convince with the first reason which she says is a lie. That's true and I encountered it a lot. Some agents just like to waste time by saying they have ready buyers/tenants for the hope of getting an exclusive.  Please stick to your own trusted agents and don;t be sway by all these claims from agents you do not know.

The 2nd and 3rd one is really her own personal opinion and assumption. 

2nd lie: A bad layout for somebody could be a good layout for someone else. Just because she doesn't like the layout of the unit does not mean it is a lie.  It just mean it is not suitable for her purposes. 

3rd lie : I encountered this a lot when I first started and I initially thought it was a lie, until I faced it myself. Some sellers are really adamant about the selling price, and even an offer of slightly less than what the seller wants will not be accepted. So a buyer cannot assume that the agent is lying simply because the buyer thinks that the house is crap so how can such an $xxx offer is not accepted?  That's the buyer own assumption.....it is not necessary a lie.

Edited by Icedbs

@therock @Icedbs

If you're planning to purchase a resale HDB or second hand private property, these are the things to check. These are my personal experiences and I wished someone had forewarned me about this. The agony and anguish caused by all these problems were unnecessary and really caused major inconvenience to my family especially since we had already moved into the new house. For each of the malfunctions, I contacted about 5 different companies to seek for their quotations. From there, I shortlisted to the 3 cheapest ones and looked for online reviews on their services/workmanship. That's how I decided on who to finally engage for the task.

1) I engaged Rodex Movers @ 93639053. They were very professional in their duties, secured the boxes with good amount of tape, boundwrap fragile items without me having to ask them to do so and no boxes were missing or damaged when they delivered it to the new house.

2) aircons, aircon compressor, piping that leads to the toilet. For me, I engaged Noris Engineering @ 91552555. They've been in business for 35 years. I subsequently signed their 4 servicing per year package. 

3) some of the air con remote controls were spoilt so I bought it from Jack @ 92311123 from Shopee. 

4) all doors to check if the lock mechanism is working. Mine needed replacements so I engaged a handyman. Azim @ 83553124

5) all sinks to ensure there is no choke or delay in draining away the water. Put the stopper in the sink, fill the sink with water to the brim and then remove the stopper. Mine was choked so I engaged Michael @ 94898090

6) get a certified electrician to check if the circuit box, wiring in the house, plugs and switches etc is in working condition and meets the safety standards. I engaged a HDB certified electrician. Azim @ 83553124

7) check the stove, hob and hood to ensure no corroded or burnt wires. Mine was an electrical stove which you can pull up. The wires were in a mess so I got Azim @ 83553124 to rectify it.

😎 the fibre optic cable was close to being damaged. A week into moving into our new house and the cable died on us. Starhub quoted  me $40 for the replacement plus any other additional repairs to be done if the technician deems fit + $14 for transportation cost. I declined, headed down to Courts, bought the replacement cable for $13 and replaced the wire myself.

9 ) the hinges for the existing cabinets and cupboards were not in good working condition. So I engaged Ken @ 96286630 from Xing Hwa Carpentry. In the end, I engaged him to change the hinges, design and install new cabinets, cupboards and other minor works.

The property agent may not tell you to perform any of these checks. The onus is on you and you alone to conduct these checks. If you fail to do so then the repercussions can be very cumbersome. 

• Praise 2

Given the number of floods in SG, it pays to check if the place you're looking at is flood prone:

https://www.99.co/singapore/insider/the-most-flood-prone-housing-estates-in-singapore-according-to-pub/

Here’s a rundown of all flood prone areas in Singapore, according to PUB, as at May 2020:

1. Hong Kah area
2. Second Chin Bee Road
3. Commonwealth Ave / Commonwealth Drive / Queensway
4. Jalan Mat Jambol
5. Neo Pee Teck Lane/ Pasir Panjang Road
6. Admiralty Road West near Sembawang shipyard
7. Jalan Taman
8. Stevens Road/ Balmoral Road
9. Farrer Park Area (including Thomson Road / Derbyshire Road) / Farrer
Park Field
10. Waterloo St / Albert St / Bencoolen St / Prinsep St
11. Jalan Besar Area
12. King George’s Avenue (People’s Association HQ)
13. CTE near Slip Road to Moulmein Road
14. Jalan Mashor
15. Delta Road/ River Valley Road/ Delta Avenue
16. Alexandra Road / Jervois Road/ Bishopsgate Road
17. Lower Delta Road / Alexandra Road
18. Beach Road
19. Margaret Drive/ Tanglin Road
20. South Bridge Rd/ North Canal Rd/ Upp Hokien St/ Upp Pickering St
21. Indus Road
22. Zion Rd (Boys’ Brigade HQ)
23. Langsat Road Area
24. Rose Lane
25. Sennett Estate (Puay Hee Avenue, Siang Kuang Ave, Wan Tho Ave,
Jalan Kemboja, Mulberry Ave and Jalan Wangi)
26. Meyer Road / Fort Road / Arthur Road / Margate Road / Ramsgate Road
27. Jalan Seaview/ Tanjong Katong Road South
28. Jalan Gembira
29. Jalan Benaan Kapal
30. Service road off Tampines Road (near Jalan Teliti)
31. Lorong Buangkok
32. Mimosa Walk
33. Mindef’s Changi Camp off Farnborough Road
34. Bedok South Rd/ Bedok South Ave 1
35. Chin Cheng Ave
36. Lorong H Telok Kurau near Siglap Canal
37. Upp East Coast Road (junction with Parbury Avenue)
38. New Upper Changi Road (Chye Heng Garden)

And here’s the list of PUB hotspots specifically for the December 2020 to March 2021 monsoon season:

1. Jalan Boon Lay (near International Road)
2. Enterprise Road
3. Chin Bee Ave (near Third Chin Bee Road)
4. Jurong East Street 32
5. Mandai Road/ Woodlands Road junction
6. Woodlands Road /Mandai Estate Junction
7. Lorong Kismis
8. Bukit Timah Road between Wilby Road to Blackmore Drive
9. Dunearn Road (between Yarwood Ave and Binjai Park)
10. Yishun Ave 2/Yishun Ave 5 (Slip Road)
11. Upper Thomson Road/ Jalan Keli
12. Ang Mo Kio Ave 3/ Ang Mo Kio Ave 8 Junction
13. Yio Chu Kang Rd (near Wembley Residences)
14. Lorong 1/ Lorong 2 Toa Payoh junction
15. Upper Thomson Road /Jalan Lembah Thomson Junction
16. Eng Neo Avenue (near Vanda Link)
17. Dunearn Road (near Watten Estate Road)
18. Shenton Way/ Boon Tat Street/ Boon Tat Link
19. Craig Rd / Tg Pagar Rd junction
20. Cavenagh Road/ Kramat Lane
21. Kampong Ampat
22. Upper Paya Lebar Road
23. Arumugam Road
24. Paya Lebar Road
25. Marine Parade Central
26. Jalan Tari Zapin (near Jalan Kayu)
27. Hougang Ave 8
28. Seletar North Link
29. Jalan Nipah
30. Bedok North Avenue 4 and Upper Changi Road (Junction)
31. Upper Changi Road East

The areas in bold indicate newly-added locations by PUB. The “hotspot” list was last updated in October 2020.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for sharing this list of things to look out for when buying a place! Having some guidance when navigating the home buying process is always helpful.

Neutral Newbie
On 3/3/2023 at 10:30 PM, JackMullen said:

Thanks for sharing this list of things to look out for when buying a place! Having some guidance when navigating the home buying process is always helpful.

I would also like to mention the Continuum Thiam Siew Ave Residences, a newly launched project consisting of 22 freestanding residential plots. The project boasts a prime location on Thiam Siew Avenue and offers luxurious living with top-notch amenities. It's worth considering if you're looking for a new home.

Just added one more thing:

Nearness to F&B places -

Sounds good doesn't it?

However there may be more cockroaches especially if you stay on the lower floors, and there will be noise from delivery trucks in the wee hours... so do visit the potential home in the odd hours and check.

Fumes from the exhausts could also enter your home, and you get secondary smoke inhalation too. 

I would say air quality of the hood is number one.

gcb areas tend to have great air.

which hdb estates has the best air quality? Jalan kukoh 18 floor is wind tunnel…

Nea?

↡ Advertisement