EHS Moment

Carbon82

Safety Moment is a tool, used by some companies, to maintain a high level of awareness towards Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) issues, often in relation to the company operations.

It involve the sharing of an EHS topic, usually by safety representative within the team, prior to the start of a work shift and/or meeting. To make it effective, such briefing / discussion are kept short and sharp (typically lasting just 1 - 3 minutes), with the aim of recognizing hazards and risks, reinforcing the importance of health and safety, and get everyone gearing towards a positive safety culture.

I think it will be useful for MCF to have one, and let me start the ball rolling. Topic for today:

Do not leave the engine of your vehicle running when it is stationary

image.jpg

In accordance to section 21 of Environmental Protection and Management (Vehicular Emissions) Regulations, vehicle driver shall stop the engine, when the vehicle is stationary for reasons other than traffic conditions. Failing to do so shall constitute to an offence under the said regulations.

While it might look like the authority (NEA) is finding fault with motorist, but in reality, leaving the engine on for an extended period have the following impact:

1) Polluting the environment (running engine emit harmful pollutants such as Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen Oxides, as well as Particulate Matter)

2) Create health issue for other road users and general public in the vicinity (prolong inhaling of pollutants stated above may have adverse health effect over an extended period of time)

3) Depleting natural resources (continuous burning of fuel)

So please do our part, switch off the engine when waiting, to protect the environment and people around us.

thank-you-1400x800-c-default.gif
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 23

You think possible? Just go to our airport and see the long queue of taxis. If it's during the day and temperature reaching near 40 degrees? Or on a hot night? Most are diesel engines.

NEA dont work 24/7. The so called enforcement is only during office hours. Sad to say it's wayang. Our govt dont even support EV yet want to pick on vehicles. What message do they want to put across?

• Praise 1

there was once i admonished a taxi driver that kept his diesel engine running and i pointed out the NEA guidelines to him. He LL switched it off.

Not that that i am a civic minded citizen, more like disgusted as he parked beside me while i was doing cool down stretching after my jog.

Would have ignored him if he parked further away from me.  [:/]

You think possible? Just go to our airport and see the long queue of taxis. If it's during the day and temperature reaching near 40 degrees? Or on a hot night? Most are diesel engines.

NEA dont work 24/7. The so called enforcement is only during office hours. Sad to say it's wayang. Our govt dont even support EV yet want to pick on vehicles. What message do they want to put across?

The law has already made provision for the scenario you quoted: "for reasons other than traffic conditions". Technically Queuing for passenger at airport and taxi stands are part of traffic conditions.

NEA / Environment ministry is going after those that left the engine idling while waiting in the car (e.g. parent waiting for their kids at school, delivery man leaving their van/lorry engine running while they load/unload their stuff at loading bay, bus driver waiting for tourists at designated parking lot - can be for >1 hour, etc.)

I for one dare to issue infraction to delivery guy and company when we found that they have violate the regulations, even while within our company premises, as I see the need to do more (and am fortunate that my employer support my tough stands).

Environmental Moment!

Many a time, one will realize that Environmental, Health and Safety are closely related or even inseparable. While the topic I shared today seems more environmental related, but it will affects the health and safety of people indirectly.

• Praise 5

Hypersonic

Safety Moment is a tool, used by some companies, to maintain a high level of awareness towards Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) issues, often in relation to the company operations.

It involve the sharing of an EHS topic, usually by safety representative within the team, prior to the start of a work shift and/or meeting. To make it effective, such briefing / discussion are kept short and sharp (typically lasting just 1 - 3 minutes), with the aim of recognizing hazards and risks, reinforcing the importance of health and safety, and get everyone gearing towards a positive safety culture.

I think it will be useful for MCF to have one, and let me start the ball rolling. Topic for today:

wah...i came to mcf to escape work stuff leh and you had to intro this here

now it feels like i am attending a working meeting

[dizzy]   :mellow: 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

I often see ppl in mscp... sleeping in the car with engine and aircon running...really knn....!

• Praise 6

Supersonic

I often see ppl in mscp... sleeping in the car with engine and aircon running...really knn....!

Are you sure not suicide case? :D
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

The law has already made provision for the scenario you quoted: "for reasons other than traffic conditions". Technically Queuing for passenger at airport and taxi stands are part of traffic conditions.

NEA / Environment ministry is going after those that left the engine idling while waiting in the car (e.g. parent waiting for their kids at school, delivery man leaving their van/lorry engine running while they load/unload their stuff at loading bay, bus driver waiting for tourists at designated parking lot - can be for >1 hour, etc.)

I for one dare to issue infraction to delivery guy and company when we found that they have violate the regulations, even while within our company premises, as I see the need to do more (and am fortunate that my employer support my tough stands).

Many a time, one will realize that Environmental, Health and Safety are closely related or even inseparable. While the topic I shared today seems more environmental related, but it will affects the health and safety of people indirectly.

When I was at my work place, I would insist that all vehicles within the compound must have their engines turned off. SOs would do the job. I would approach some of the offending drivers personally. Once there was a delivery truck who refused to comply and purposely revved the engine before driving off, I reported him to him company! ( that was in 2001)

• Praise 3

Topic for today:

Take care of your tyre and your tyre will take care of you

Tips-on-Car-Tyre-Safety-730-x-430_2-Nov.

- Inflate your tyre to the correct pressure (refer to recommendation by auto manufacturer in the owner manual). Over or under inflated tyre have reduced contact with the road surface and will affect braking performance, as well as service life of the tyre.

- Tyre (made of rubber) have shelf life, and is subjected to degradation by sunlight (UV ray), heat (hot road surface and friction from usage), moisture (rain, water) and chemical (detergent, acid rain).

- Tyre will harden overtime, regardless of distance traveled. Hardened tyre will resulted in a bumpier ride, as well as poorer grip / longer braking distance.

- Degraded / hardened tyre are prone to cracking and bloating, both which will lead to failure (tyre give way in extreme case). Check your tyre regularly for any cracks / sign of bloating.

- If there are sign of uneven wear on the left and right tyre (provided both are inflated to the same pressure each time), the wheel alignment may be off.

• Praise 7

Supersonic

No animals, dogs, cats, babies, kids, in the car, windows up, doors locked, while you go shopping.

• Praise 4

Twincharged

theres a reason why cars comes with start stop motor.

I still think there is not enough done to curb this. Typical example is the heavy vehicles plying from Malaysia to SG.

When have SG restarted to clamp down on the exos emission. The last time it created a hooha in terms of jam. 

Twincharged

Do not leave the engine of your vehicle running when it is stationary

image.jpg

In accordance to section 21 of Environmental Protection and Management (Vehicular Emissions) Regulations, vehicle driver shall stop the engine, when the vehicle is stationary for reasons other than traffic conditions. Failing to do so shall constitute to an offence under the said regulations.

While it might look like the authority (NEA) is finding fault with motorist, but in reality, leaving the engine on for an extended period have the following impact:

1) Polluting the environment (running engine emit harmful pollutants such as Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen Oxides, as well as Particulate Matter)

2) Create health issue for other road users and general public in the vicinity (prolong inhaling of pollutants stated above may have adverse health effect over an extended period of time)

3) Depleting natural resources (continuous burning of fuel)

So please do our part, switch off the engine when waiting, to protect the environment and people around us.

thank-you-1400x800-c-default.gif

I used my Mazda 6 Start/Stop System to the Max,already clocked over 371 Hours of "Stopped" time...in 6 Years of use...mileage 78,500Km.

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

Yes checher @carbon82 I learn now from U n can proceed to PSLE finally (Preambree Safety Learning Exam)

• Praise 6

If you are a vehicle operator in the army, there are 3 types of checks to be done and recorded into a log book:

1. Pre-start up checks e.g. walk around the car to check the tires and open the bonnet to check the oil level.

2. Halt checks e.g. general check and record mileage.

3. Shut-down checks e.g. check coolant level when the engine has cooled down.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2