Need Advice on Tyres Change

Gheeheng

Supersonic

used tyres is = as old tyres.

anw his is 15' only i believe.

2 pcs of fresh non branded wont cost more then 200.

use for 1 year. very reasonable what .

some type of money cannot be stingy 1, like brakes n tyres.

I reckon below 70 to 100 can get a normal 15" new tyre. Falcon? Dunlop?
↡ Advertisement

Dear All –

Hope all is well. It has been a while since I start a new thread.

I need some advices on tyre change. I have sleepless nights.

I am currently driving a manual Avante 1.6L car.

Just this Saturday (4th May) I just changed my 2 old tyres (Kumho) installed in the front, to 2 new one (BFGoodRich Advantage T/A)

My previous Kumho was changed on 11 July 2015 at a Mileage or 39800km

Last Saturday 4th May 2019, I went to one workshop to request for a tyre rotation service because last November when I went to Komoco to service, they refuse to rotate for me because they told me my Kumho tyres are getting bald head (BOTAK), 2 words from them "NO POINT". In the end under Mechanic’s advice last Saturday (in Bukit Merah Lane), I changed Kumho to BFGoodRich. Kind of confused why need to change now and I cannot find any good review on BFGOODRICH!

Per last Saturday, my car Mileage read 79285km (Means my Kumho ran for 39485km approximately.

Now the configuration of my Avante is 2 Front tyres is a pair of BFGoodRich 2018 and 2 Back Tyres is a pair of Michelin 2012 (Changed before I change Kumho)

My Question now is

1. Is it necessary to change my Back Tyres to a pair of new one? Should I use back BFGoodRich? The threading still left a lot to use. Is Michelin brand. Hence I just want to confirm can we use a 7 years old Tyres?
  2. I went to Sin Ming one of the Motor shop to request to change BFGoodRich from front to back so that I want to wear off the Michelin pair when I put them in front, Uncle told me he refused to change because Michelin ones are 2012. He told me his has a strong principle being a professional car mechanic, what happen if after he changed and then my car got into accident?

May I know what are my options? I have sleepless nights after I changed to BFGoodRich.  Because I intend to change all four to GoodYear which I have been researching for months that Good Year are fuel efficient tyres.

Option1: Change Michelin to BFGoodRich?

Option2: remain same configuration under COE ends?

Option3: Change all 4 tyres to GoodYear?

Option4: Sell my car now and get a 7 seater?

My COE ending 2020 May next year. Mileage done is still less 80k. one Full Tank 45L I can clock 700km per 1 pump of 95. I only drive on Sat and Sun. Mine is a OPC.

Thank you.

When i send my vehicle to Bukit Merah to do rotation on 4th May (Saturday). They only advised me to change Kumho. (front 2). So i changed [to something i don't know good or not good - this lead me to stress]

Sin Ming Mechanic only told me (on 5th May, Sunday) that Michelin tyres was dated 2012 (i didn't keep track - my fault - my apology to those who feel that my car will hit others. "Whatever you think you visualise it will come. If we ask we get". So becareful of your thoughts). Mr Yap has advised me to change the Michelin one too and asked me why Mechanic in Bukit Merah lane didn't (strongly) advise me to change Michelin as well. Where is their professionalism blah blah? How come they didn't check? why why why? 

I went to Vicom Inspection centre on 27 April 2019 (saturday) they told me to change front is ok. Behind can use. Hence last Saturday I went to change at 119 Bukit Merah Lane. He asked his mechanic to get 2 such and start screw them in. I LL just pay. I sleepless because I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING about BEGOODRICH. Not because of money. If the tyre cost me $250 per piece and give me less noise and good fuel efficent. I will pay. i don't gamble i don't smoke i dont go JB massage and clear pipe and I save 60% of my take home pay. What is quality and got value I will pay no need installment.

I start this thread is because i just realised Michelin tyres dated 2012.  (i apologized on top)

Yes I did request Sin Ming mechanic to change New BFGoodRich to rear, but they refused. Reason I mentioned on my first thread.

My driving style is not like many who speed and zoom and cut anyhow at high speed. I am a careful driver who maintain at lower speed than the stated speed limit in expressway. If is 80, i cruise at 70km/h at left most lane (always). Sometime Big Truck (malaysia plate) also over take me.

Yes some of your words are harsh or too straight. Is ok for me because this is a forum, not an office email to your boss or stakeholder or to your clients who buy your service or product so tone you using is different..

Sometime before i reply anything i also will check if the user or driver are the first time owning car. Just like all seller and buyer in Carousell. before you accept offer, what you check? Their credibility review feedback, etc. correct?

Also one thing i want to state in this forum " If you are unable to say something nice or good, just keep quiet to earn (more) good karma for your yourself and family members".

Thank you.

The fact that VICOM ask you to change the front tyres is already a sign that your tyres are no longer safe to be used on the road. And your 1st post further reinforce my view.

As some have already mentioned, rubber material will degrade overtime (be it you use it or not) due to natural reaction with UV ray, heat, moisture, etc. It doesn't matter if you drive fast or slow, careful or not, but degraded rubber can get bloat and crack easily, without you knowing, and if that happen when you are driving, your vehicle may lost control and ... ... OK, even if none of the above happened, the braking performance, comfort level will still be affected, as harden rubber will be more bouncy and provide poorer grip (talking about this, it will also lead to extra wear and tear on your suspension)

Sorry to say, saving 60% of your pay, don't gamble or smoke does not add value to the discussion. As a car owner, as well as road user, we need to do our due diligence, ensuring that our car are road worthy, by sending our car for required preventive maintenance, and replacing critical component such as brake and tyres when needed (not when it started to show sign of failure). Again, I am making reference to your 1st post, that since last Nov, Komoco already highlighted to you that your front tyre cannot make it...

OK, back to the topic, if you have already make up your mind to continue driving the car beyond it COE expiry, you may give a serious consideration to replace all 4 tyres to GoodYear (I trusted that you have done your research and budget is not a concern for you). Else, just get the 2 rear tyres replaced in the interim - till you confirm you are extending the COE of your Avante (any brand, since it is only for short term). 

In a nutshell, any tyre, even BFGoodRich is way better and safer than your 7 years old Michelin... No sarcasm here.

• Praise 8

Supersonic

Option 1 or Option 3.

2012 tyre even if got thread the grip is gone.

Don't stinge on critical item like tyres lah .... 7yo tyre is just waiting for something to happen.

wet day pretty dangerous.

Actually we are kind of harsh here. TS you might want to spend 60 to 70 (one pcs should be around 30 to 40) get a reused newer tyres.

there are many tyre shop selling reuse tyre. take note of the YOM and safety thread level.

$100 should be able to get michelin energy saver (xm2)

I reckon below 70 to 100 can get a normal 15" new tyre. Falcon? Dunlop?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

@Gheeheng

Several options available

1) Renew Cat A COE now at $28K till May 2029 and replace the rear 7 yr old tyres with new ones

2) If you are undecided and want to save money, then replace the rear tyres with reasonably new used tyres. About $50 each

3) If you intend to get the MPV soon, then leave the rear tyres as is.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

(edited)

TS, just wondering. The replies here are based on what info you wrote. I believed you're the person who did research before committing. Some of the events that happened left myself with some questions.

1) Why did you proceed to replace your 2 tyres then? Were you in a situation (read burst tyre) where you are unable to go to a proper tyre shop?

2) Why did you change only 2 tyres and not 4 if money is not an issue to you?

3) Why are you having sleepless night over $200~$300 value(If money is not the issue)?

4) If you really are having second thoughts, why not just change all 4 tyres(Your preferred brand) NOW rather than having sleepless night?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Just to clear my doubts and not finding fault with you. Hopefully I can also learn something out of this situation. Cheers.

Edited by Cypher
  • Praise 5

Supercharged

TS, just wondering. The replies here are based on what info you wrote. I believed you're the person who did research before committing. Some of the events that happened left myself with some questions.

1) Why did you proceed to replace your 2 tyres then? Were you in a situation (read burst tyre) where you are unable to go to a proper tyre shop?

2) Why did you change only 2 tyres and not 4 if money is not an issue to you?

3) Why are you having sleepless night over $200~$300 value(If money is not the issue)?

4) If you really are having second thoughts, why not just change all 4 tyres(Your preferred brand) NOW rather than having sleepless night?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Just to clear my doubts and not finding fault with you. Hopefully I can also learn something out of this situation. Cheers.

exactly.

keeps saying money no issue but scrimp and save on basic wear and tear items.. 

when people call him road hazard he go curse people back.. 

4 tyres already so stressed.. i wonder what other things were not changed duly.

either a big troll or someone who i see that doesn't deserves to be on the road.

7 years old tire must change liao.... the thread probably harden to rock le under SG weather condition.

BFgoodrich quite popular in US.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Can save on modifications and leave the car stock and can pump 92RON to save.

But never save on tyres - each tyre's contact patch with the road is only the size of your palm

Personal experience - was running on Dunlops (Sportmaxx GT) which came with the car and I'd say they're pretty decent with good feedback. Lasted me almost 20k with around 3-4mm thread left when I aquaplaned along the expressway only slightly in excess of 90km/h. I immediately changed tyres the same week.

Even good tyres become almost unusable especially in wet weather nearing their EOL; what more can be said about old or low-end tyres?

Ironically with the new tyres (CSC6) I find the feedback isn't as good but the grip is stellar, haven't even heard them squeal (the Dunlops were very vocal at their threshold) yet under hard cornering other than at carparks with those shiny floors haha. Only complain is they wear pretty fast but it's a tradeoff and I can look forward to my next tyre change!

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

If drive car to scrap in May 2020, change out the 2 pcs of  2012 tyres, simi brand simi price also better than those 7 yrs old ones.  Put in front or put behind also makes no different, because the way you drive is sibei economical, no hard braking no fast wear. 

If going to renew COE for 10 yrs, just go change out all 4 tyre to whatever you have in your mind for the longest time, do your alignment, and have peace of mind for the next 2-3 yrs. 

If still cannot decide, at least go try find 2 pcs of used tyre with 70-80% tread left, mayb those yr 2016-2018. at least buy some time to plan again and most importantly get rid of the 2 time bomb.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

7 year old tyres are way too old. My tyres are already 3 years plus and I'm going to have them changed by end of this month. My mileage is low so I tend to drag it a bit more than the average person who changes at 2 years. 4 years is the max I will go.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

That day went to change car battery. While waiting, heard a mechanic tell an elderly female customer to change all her tyres because botak liao. She said where got botak, still can drive. Only 5 years old niah.

It's a wonder she managed to live to her early 60s.

(edited)

That day went to change car battery. While waiting, heard a mechanic tell an elderly female customer to change all her tyres because botak liao. She said where got botak, still can drive. Only 5 years old niah.

It's a wonder she managed to live to her early 60s.

For people who don't know a lot about cars, especially for someone of her age, there is this fear the mechanic is lying to her.

I used to frequent this tyre shop in the Paya Ubi area. 

The final time I visited them was when I went in for my free nitrogen refill, the person said, "Your tyres botak already. Must change. Have safety issue." I said, "Never mind, I'm in a hurry. Just fill the air and I'll come back another day." 

Because I know most people change tyres at 2 years or 40k km. My tyres were only 1 year old and I clocked only 7k km, how can so fast botak especially when I rotate and align constantly?  

I booked in to AD for my regular servicing the following week. Asked the SA. He said no need to change, still have at least 50% of life left. 

I can understand where this lady is coming from. Lack of knowledge is one thing. Not having a trusted workshop makes it worse. 

Edited by Lovemyride
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

For people who don't know a lot about cars, especially for someone of her age, there is this fear the mechanic is lying to her.

The final time I visited them was when I went in for my free nitrogen refill, the person said, "Your tyres botak already. Must change. Have safety issue." I said, "Never mind, I'm in a hurry. Just fill the air and I'll come back another day." 

Because I know most people change tyres at 2 years or 40k km. My tyres were only 1 year old and I clocked only 7k km, how can so fast botak especially when I rotate and align constantly?  

I booked in to AD for my regular servicing the following week. Asked the SA. He said no need to change, still have at least 50% of life left. 

I can understand where this lady is coming from. Lack of knowledge is one thing. Not having a trusted workshop makes it worse. 

simi tyre you using? 7k only 50% threadwear gone..

did you check your tyre pressure?

• Praise 1

Twincharged

many many con shops out there. scare tactics.

↡ Advertisement