Need Advice on Tyres Change

Gheeheng

simi tyre you using? 7k only 50% threadwear gone..

did you check your tyre pressure?

That was on my previous car. Scrap already. Bridgestone if I remember correctly. They weren't very good tyres and not exactly cheap either. At that 7k, 50% threadwear, the car was 9 years old, so a blessing in disguise although I liked the car. 

I top up nitrogen regularly at the shop. Once a month or so. My car can be parked for days in a row, so I tend to be more anal about tyre pressure because more air gets lost when the car isn't moving. Yes, I'm one of those lazy people who don't want to fill air at petrol stations. It's more of how I use the car that I prefer nitrogen so I get it done at the shop since it's free. 

After my bad experience with that shop, I now do my research and pop into different shops to see what tyre they offer for my car and at what price. I come home, read up online, then go back another day to get them changed. 

↡ Advertisement

scare tactics is common infact to every business .

so be a smart consumer or Driver here.

we can always ask for advice and ask Why do you recommend and show you at least visually .

nowaday Car authoried workshop started selling parts like battery and tires , Some SA also adopt scare tactic to promote them.(insider said they get some incentive for it ( i think is fair for this but be more professional).

• Praise 2

For people who don't know a lot about cars, especially for someone of her age, there is this fear the mechanic is lying to her.

I used to frequent this tyre shop in the Paya Ubi area. 

The final time I visited them was when I went in for my free nitrogen refill, the person said, "Your tyres botak already. Must change. Have safety issue." I said, "Never mind, I'm in a hurry. Just fill the air and I'll come back another day." 

Because I know most people change tyres at 2 years or 40k km. My tyres were only 1 year old and I clocked only 7k km, how can so fast botak especially when I rotate and align constantly?  

I booked in to AD for my regular servicing the following week. Asked the SA. He said no need to change, still have at least 50% of life left. 

I can understand where this lady is coming from. Lack of knowledge is one thing. Not having a trusted workshop makes it worse. 

tire condition should learn to check and visually by ourselve.

but curious can share what car was that 7000km 50% gone? 

and the shop provide you free Nitrogen refill  [thumbsup]

I always strongly recommend tire rotation and re balancing every 10k km , it does help to prolong the life of your tires and also at the same time the tire workshop can help or show you physically the full condition.

Just MHO 

if you are so worry just spend abit more to change all 4 which I believe it will be less than 300 for any korea branded tyres. a new tyre still better than > 5 yr old tyres...

• Praise 1

Tread depth isn’t the only factor to consider when to replace. Tyres contain moisture and oils that help keep them supple and assist in dispersing heat. As a tyre ages, it loses its suppleness as the oils evaporate out. Generally speaking, a tyre should be replaced after 5 years even if it still has sufficient tread depth.

• Praise 2

No need to loose sleep over this kind of thing bro, just get a fresh pair and put it at the front since your car is front wheel drive, the older one can swap to the real..next time repeat that to swap out the oldest tyre....this is quite common practice and I have done that all the time  [;)]

• Praise 1

No need to loose sleep over this kind of thing bro, just get a fresh pair and put it at the front since your car is front wheel drive, the older one can swap to the real..next time repeat that to swap out the oldest tyre....this is quite common practice and I have done that all the time [;)]

IMHO, new tyres should be installed at the rear.
  • Praise 1

4th Gear

That was on my previous car. Scrap already. Bridgestone if I remember correctly. They weren't very good tyres and not exactly cheap either. At that 7k, 50% threadwear, the car was 9 years old, so a blessing in disguise although I liked the car.

I top up nitrogen regularly at the shop. Once a month or so. My car can be parked for days in a row, so I tend to be more anal about tyre pressure because more air gets lost when the car isn't moving. Yes, I'm one of those lazy people who don't want to fill air at petrol stations. It's more of how I use the car that I prefer nitrogen so I get it done at the shop since it's free.

After my bad experience with that shop, I now do my research and pop into different shops to see what tyre they offer for my car and at what price. I come home, read up online, then go back another day to get them changed.

I can only think of Bridgestone RE050A with such threadwear...stock on cars such as WRX back then.

Turbocharged

I can only think of Bridgestone RE050A with such threadwear...stock on cars such as WRX back then.

I had a set of contiforce contact. Used it for B-road drives in Msia

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/ContiForceContact.htm

performed like a typical semislick - very very good grip in dry, a bit scary in wet (even when quite new)

worn off after 8k km

threadware rating was 80. Yes 80 not 180 [grin]

Bro, with this condition, just change the 4 tyres. Dont be penny wise and pound foolish. Since you are considering to renew COE, the 1 year time frame should not a consideration anymore.

Tyres are your only contact with the road, dont save on this one. Imagine yourself wearing a pair of slippers with no grip/friction and try to walk in chinatown wet market.... 

Sometimes even at low speed, you need to be able to stop in time ( jam brake) , especially with reckless PMD on the road.  It is not about how fast or how slow you drive on the road.

For your info, you car insurance can deny claim in the event of accident and they found that your tyres are worn or have less than 1.6mm in depth....

• Praise 4

(edited)

Tread depth isn’t the only factor to consider when to replace. Tyres contain moisture and oils that help keep them supple and assist in dispersing heat. As a tyre ages, it loses its suppleness as the oils evaporate out. Generally speaking, a tyre should be replaced after 5 years even if it still has sufficient tread depth.

ya not only tread depth.

tyres is rubber.

imagine our rubber band or condom, expose to sun and rain 6 years liao,

once u stretch it crack and break at once.

no amount of money = safety , not only for ownself but your passengers and other cars.

and ts is talking about using the car for 1 more year.

say 200/365 . 1 day not even 1 buks.

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

I used to have an od teva sandels. Keep it for too long and unused and one day, wore it. Even with the thread still well and good, the pair of sandels is damn slippery. I threw it away as it will be dangerous to continue wearing them.

I would say the same thing applies to tyres. The grip will deteriote once the rubber harden. So be safe.

• Praise 4

I had a set of contiforce contact. Used it for B-road drives in Msia

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/ContiForceContact.htm

performed like a typical semislick - very very good grip in dry, a bit scary in wet (even when quite new)

worn off after 8k km

threadware rating was 80. Yes 80 not 180 [grin]

once it classified as semi slick (not approved on the public road) is designed superb for Dry condition, when it comes to wet you have to be very careful and drive really slow on WET 

Turbocharged

once it classified as semi slick (not approved on the public road) is designed superb for Dry condition, when it comes to wet you have to be very careful and drive really slow on WET 

u referring to me?

I dunno what cave you have been living in but quite a lot of semi slicks are DOT approved.

And yes, I have driven in heavy thunderstorm on a well used set of R888s so I know how to handle. Thanks.

Hypersonic

Really cannot tahan those paying so much for a car here and refuse to change the tyre. Tyre is the only contact on the road, how much safety equipment in the car. But if the tyre is 5yrs and skid on wet road is useless.

Don't always think slow driving will be safe, if a kuku Grab or a E bike suddenly appear in front of you and can't stop on time due to skid.

My tyre mostly change at around 40k, even tread still good and that is less than 1.5yrs usage.

• Praise 2

Look around and I realized that it is not difficult to spot F1 wanna be drivers (using F1 style tyre) :D

mcJApQR.jpg

• Praise 7

Really cannot tahan those paying so much for a car here and refuse to change the tyre. Tyre is the only contact on the road, how much safety equipment in the car. But if the tyre is 5yrs and skid on wet road is useless.

Don't always think slow driving will be safe, if a kuku Grab or a E bike suddenly appear in front of you and can't stop on time due to skid.

My tyre mostly change at around 40k, even tread still good and that is less than 1.5yrs usage.

Don't even need to talk about jamming brake, on wet surface, especially those in shopping centers or MSCP, the car would feel like skidding around uncontrollably. I experienced that with poor tyre (used just ~10K km) and immediately change it even though thread are plentiful. I am not willing to trade safe for $$$.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)

Look around and I realized that it is not difficult to spot F1 wanna be drivers (using F1 style tyre) :D

mcJApQR.jpg

That is the driver dry tyre.

Don't worry h will change to wet tyre when rain.

I once put a A4 size note on a car with similar tyre condition.

Telling him don't drag others car into his stupid act of not changing tyre.

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4