Need Advice on Tyres Change

Gheeheng

Don't even need to talk about jamming brake, on wet surface, especially those in shopping centers or MSCP, the car would feel like skidding around uncontrollably. I experienced that with poor tyre (used just ~10K km) and immediately change it even though thread are plentiful. I am not willing to trade safe for $$$.

what's considered a poor tyre?

any brand in particular?

or are they very cheap? 

I would think the usual brands... Mic, conti, BS, dunlop, yoko etc to be good tyre right?

↡ Advertisement

any brand in particular?

or are they very cheap? 

I would think the usual brands... Mic, conti, BS, dunlop, yoko etc to be good tyre right?

Come on lah. Tires only play a part. The car's brakes, suspension and the driver's attention all plays a part too.

Don't just focus on one thing and make it as though all responsibility falls on it. Some ppl do that so that they can put all the blame on tires when something bad happens.

If you look at the bigger picture for ppl like TS he only pays attention to his car and its parts once in a while compared to most of us here we drive daily so we know our car better and maintain it regularly to have everything working optimally. Bottom line is down to the driver who plays the biggest parts cos he's the one who decides. For someone like TS he seldom drives and he only worries at the very last moment...I dont want to comment further and you judge for yourself. He only knows how to remind ppl of karma but he dont seem to do himself the same favour.

Most of the taxis here 0 emphasis safety one. Look at the tyres, mostly are those Lakeview / Lakeside whatever unknown brand tyres on those Transcab. Tyres maybe 10 years old already, grooved tyres driven until become slick tyres. Combination of transcab typical gangster driver and these tyres = recipe for disaster.

Airbags maybe only 2 or 1 (driver only). Ironic thing is they transport people daily and clock high mileage. What a joke.

ya ... probably one of the funny brands and bald too, cos we skidded across the junction after he ebraked. And I was the only passenger in the car, i am heavy and contributed to the forward momentum but I am not bui bui mah ... [laugh]

anyways, I do notice a lot Transcab taxis having screeching brakes too. maybe brake pads also use until 5%.  [confused]

(edited)

All car the same when E brake.

Except Good car braking system and Good Tires you car stop at shorter distance.

I heard from some one who did a tire test personally (invited by Tire company)

The premium Quality brand against middle Quality brand the stopping distance is difference of around 1 meter at the speed of 85km/h

This is a average result of 20 persons

Can imagine the 1 meter difference?

More than 15 years ago, an Ah Beng tyre shop recommended me to use F**k** tyres, i had a near collision in rainy weather. I always do research when changing tyres these days. Never try to save money on rubber, it is your only contact with the tarmac when the vehicle is moving, can be life and death hor... Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

The premium Quality brand against middle Quality brand the stopping distance is difference of around 1 meter at the speed of 85km/h

Weight to wheelbase ratio also has an impact on braking distance.

sorry i am just need to clarify my meaning

i was just assuming  making all  car equal, but when they running on difference tire it makes the braking distance vary.

Hypersonic

any brand in particular?

or are they very cheap? 

Its very simple.

Brake hard in wet or dry, the good tyre will stop shorter.

It might only be 3 feet shorter but if you ever jam brake and

stop just one foot behind the car then you know what would 

happen if the lousy tyre stops just 2 feet longer.

:D

Of course other people define good in other ways to mine.

Good looking tyre, quiet, comfy, saves fuel etc.

• Praise 1

New to this thread. But I thk the mechanics are professional. They could hv jus rotated collect your $20 and leave u to your choice.

• Praise 1

(edited)

New to this thread. But I thk the mechanics are professional. They could hv jus rotated collect your $20 and leave u to your choice.

well said my forum Friend.

i always like to Listen to What your Mech say or advice, if it makes sence go for his advice , how much can 1 set of new tires cost ? most for $800 + - ? whch allow you to drive Safely for around 24 months.

to me personally looking at the tire Value = safety

Cost = price 

Edited by Roberttan
  • Praise 1

Regardless of how long you drive in a year in your car, your car tyres need to replace sooner or later. The more miles you spread, the quicker they should be changed. All things considered, there's no set time for when you do the change of your vehicle tires, however a progression of signs indicates that you need new ones.

• Praise 2

actually when we say we change tyres typically about every 2 or 3 yrs. do you guys take into consideration of the DOM of the tyres?

eg: DOM of tyres is 2016 and now is 2019. its 3 yrs old the tyres. If you use the tyres for 3 yrs than the tyre age is already 6 yrs.

because we are discussing about tyres here. So how do you guys determine? i know many people dont take note of the DOM of the tyres. 

I only know tyres typically have shelf life around 6 years. The spare tire in my car is already 6 years (fr datecode) so is expired. I either throw away the spare altogether or get a new one if I still want to use it as spare.

I think most of us here would check the DOM of tyres.

on average I reckon the tyres we get are 6 - 9 months from DOM, so 3 years of usage from purchase would still be quite alright for daily use.

I only know tyres typically have shelf life around 6 years. The spare tire in my car is already 6 years (fr datecode) so is expired. I either throw away the spare altogether or get a new one if I still want to use it as spare.

spare is a spare strictly for temporary use only.

Spare tire dont expose to Rain and Shine i will said is find to keep as spare , only problem is some Car owner dont  maintain the Spare tire pressue and Once it needs to be use but the tire is underinflated , it might burst along the way and they thought the Explosion is due to Expired tire.

actually the Burst spare tire is due to underinflated.

• Praise 1

I think most of us here would check the DOM of tyres.

on average I reckon the tyres we get are 6 - 9 months from DOM, so 3 years of usage from purchase would still be quite alright for daily use.

i should say not all people will check DOM and know it is important to check DOM of tyres?

Because to a layman car user, they just check what is recommended by the tyre shops.

sometimes these tyres were sitting in the shop for  1 year from the day the stock arrive at their shops and sold to owners when they happen to want to change tyres.

Not all people knows about cars, they will just pay and change.

spare is a spare strictly for temporary use only.

Spare tire dont expose to Rain and Shine i will said is find to keep as spare , only problem is some Car owner dont  maintain the Spare tire pressue and Once it needs to be use but the tire is underinflated , it might burst along the way and they thought the Explosion is due to Expired tire.

actually the Burst spare tire is due to underinflated.

nowadays new cars doesnt even come with spare tyres. having one or not in the car is not really matters, of cos if have is good. but who will bother to pump up the spare tyres? i am also thinking to remove my spare tyre to release weight add on to the car.

Are you saying new tyres that are more than 1 year old (from manufacture) are no good and shops should not sell them? Thats completely wrong. I don't know what is the guideline in the tyre shop industry. personally I feel if more than 2 years, the shop should at least inform buyer for his/her consideration. I only use any set of tyre for upto 2 years, so 1-2 year old tyre is acceptable for me, assuming lifespan is 6 years.

My new car came with >1 year old stock tyre. My last 2 set of tyres (goodyear f1a3) were all more than 1 year old (bought from a reputable tyre shop L**** S***) when changed. I knowingly accept them and didn't bargain. 

i should say not all people will check DOM and know it is important to check DOM of tyres?

Because to a layman car user, they just check what is recommended by the tyre shops.

sometimes these tyres were sitting in the shop for  1 year from the day the stock arrive at their shops and sold to owners when they happen to want to change tyres.

Not all people knows about cars, they will just pay and change.

nowadays new cars doesnt even come with spare tyres. having one or not in the car is not really matters, of cos if have is good. but who will bother to pump up the spare tyres? i am also thinking to remove my spare tyre to release weight add on to the car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1