Need Advice on Tyres Change

Gheeheng

Are you saying new tyres that are more than 1 year old (from manufacture) are no good and shops should not sell them? Thats completely wrong. I don't know what is the guideline in the tyre shop industry. personally I feel if more than 2 years, the shop should at least inform buyer for his/her consideration. I only use any set of tyre for upto 2 years, so 1-2 year old tyre is acceptable for me, assuming lifespan is 6 years.

My new car came with >1 year old stock tyre. My last 2 set of tyres (goodyear f1a3) were all more than 1 year old (bought from a reputable tyre shop L**** S***) when changed. I knowingly accept them and didn't bargain. 

you are a Wise  man

that IS already a Guide line ( correct me if i am wrong) almost all tire manufacturers tires are Safe to Use them within 5 years from DOM except Michelin IS 6 years Officially for Agent stock .

if One read the Content of Michelin Warranty Booklet , it stated clearly and officially If the product purchased DOM less them 3 years it starts Fresh 6 years from Date of Installation (you got almost 9 years in total if the Tire is 2.99 years old DOM)

be a wise consumers ., any unsold or aged but before expired tire  to dispose is such waste and  environment unfriendly.

just MHO 

↡ Advertisement

When I changed tyres last month, I managed to get early 2019 stock, which to me is very good. The person told me he still has 2018 YOM around, not that cannot sell but when he orders the 2018 YOM comes, because the manufacturers make the tyres in batches, so if the demand is low for a particular size, there might not be a 2019 run. He said YOM 2017 and 18 are still good to be sold and used. 

I guess people who are particular about YOM would go for another brand which has a newer YOM for their size and I admit I'm one of them - I prioritise YOM more and as long as it's one of the big brands, I will get it. 

(edited)

Are you saying new tyres that are more than 1 year old (from manufacture) are no good and shops should not sell them? Thats completely wrong. I don't know what is the guideline in the tyre shop industry. personally I feel if more than 2 years, the shop should at least inform buyer for his/her consideration. I only use any set of tyre for upto 2 years, so 1-2 year old tyre is acceptable for me, assuming lifespan is 6 years.

My new car came with >1 year old stock tyre. My last 2 set of tyres (goodyear f1a3) were all more than 1 year old (bought from a reputable tyre shop L**** S***) when changed. I knowingly accept them and didn't bargain. 

i am not saying that tyres more than 1 year old cannot be put on sales by the shop. 

what i meant is that DOM of the tyres need to be considered as well when using them.

This contribute the age of the tyres. 

Edited by StreamRSZ

spare is a spare strictly for temporary use only.

Spare tire dont expose to Rain and Shine i will said is find to keep as spare , only problem is some Car owner dont  maintain the Spare tire pressue and Once it needs to be use but the tire is underinflated , it might burst along the way and they thought the Explosion is due to Expired tire.

actually the Burst spare tire is due to underinflated.

As a spare tyre is usually stored at the back and below,  it will be exposed to heat from the road and exhaust.

Usually the compartment is top insulated and there is no air movement unlike mounted tyres. 

If it doesn't cost too much,  change when necessary. 

(edited)

When I changed tyres last month, I managed to get early 2019 stock, which to me is very good. The person told me he still has 2018 YOM around, not that cannot sell but when he orders the 2018 YOM comes, because the manufacturers make the tyres in batches, so if the demand is low for a particular size, there might not be a 2019 run. He said YOM 2017 and 18 are still good to be sold and used. 

I guess people who are particular about YOM would go for another brand which has a newer YOM for their size and I admit I'm one of them - I prioritise YOM more and as long as it's one of the big brands, I will get it. 

Like you, I prioritize YOM because while my tyre shop usually gets the stock from the distributor,  if the YOM is very early, I won't know if that is left over stock from other tyre shop or petrol station.

My tyre shop stores tyres in fully enclosed area.  I've seen some tyre shop store them in the open or under shade in the open.

I heard UV will degrade tyres.  I would think under shade is not exactly "safe" because UV can be reflected?  

P.S.  I know of some folks who carry umbrella to prevent UV.  I told them that UV can be reflected.   [laugh]

Edited by Kklee

Hi Gurus! Asking on behalf of my Dad.
His car tyre profile states 175/70/r14
Will changing to the tyre profile 175/65/14 have any implication?

Question is why would you want to do that.

The thing is I do not want to.

But my Dad's Hyundai Accent is a bread and butter car and he does not want to spend so much.

Because 175/70/r14 is a very rare size, the difference in price between this and 175/65/14 is about 30% different.

For 4 wheels, the amount is quite substantial.

The overall diameter of the wheel and tyre will become smaller which look kind of cartoon. Not to mention the speedo will be out. There is no pros but only cons in doing so.

14inch tyre how ex can it be?

Turbocharged

The overall diameter of the wheel and tyre will become smaller which look kind of cartoon. Not to mention the speedo will be out. There is no pros but only cons in doing so.

14inch tyre how ex can it be?

effective gearing will be shorter.

pick up faster, lower top speed

FC might also be affected, depending on how the car is driven

• Praise 2

Hi Gurus! Asking on behalf of my Dad.

His car tyre profile states 175/70/r14

Will changing to the tyre profile 175/65/14 have any implication?

Go for 185/65R14. Head to JB where 14" sizes are aplenty and cheap.
  • Praise 2

But why 185?

Because if you are changing the aspect ratio from 70 to 65 , you need to increase the width of the tyre by one up, otherwise the over all diameter of the tyre will be messed up.

IMHO,  perhaps there is no need for discussion on the performance of tyres when, sometimes,  there will be no full benefits from better tyres if there is a tendency to over inflate for probably better FC.  [cool]

• Praise 1

(edited)

The thing is I do not want to.

But my Dad's Hyundai Accent is a bread and butter car and he does not want to spend so much.

Because 175/70/r14 is a very rare size, the difference in price between this and 175/65/14 is about 30% different.

For 4 wheels, the amount is quite substantial.

i am sure there few tire available for size 175/70/14 

if you really wants to Upgrade for better tire , i recon you go for 185/65/14 is 99% better over 175/65/14(583mm)

overall height of size 185/65/14(596mm) is closer to 175/70/14 (601mm)

should you worry and confuse for mnay suggestions , please stick to 175/70/14 and go for Better Quailty tire.

Edited by Roberttan

Turbocharged

Bro and experts, need advise.... current ride stock tyre is 205/60R16.... was told either to go 225/55R16 if want to stay 16 or upsize to 205/55/R17..... what's your advise, balance between comfort vs stability... also for rubber.... Yokohama Advan series V551 good? Thanks

Bro and experts, need advise.... current ride stock tyre is 205/60R16.... was told either to go 225/55R16 if want to stay 16 or upsize to 205/55/R17..... what's your advise, balance between comfort vs stability... also for rubber.... Yokohama Advan series V551 good? Thanks

There are advantages and disadvantage when you widen or upgrade your tyres.

Advantages:

- Better traction

- More grip on hard braking

- Better stability

- Less vehicle roll in corners

- Looks good for sure

Disadvantages:

- Slower acceleration (depend on type of car)

- Less comfort (due to more contact on the ground)

- Increase road noise

- Higher fuel consumption

The advice of changing to 225/55/R16 or 205/55/R17 is a good suggestion.

225/55/R16 -  Widen the tires but maintaining the Radius (R16)

205/55/R17 -  Upsize the Radius (R17) but smaller wide

In this 2 configuration, the disadvantages listed above will be minimal.

These chosen wheel size, which doesn’t differ much from the original combined size of wheel and tire, will help you avoid all of these disadvantages and make your car look great. Only then fuel consumption will not be noticeable as well as slow acceleration, while you’ll be able to enjoy better stability, braking distance and improved appearance.

My personal 5 cent opinion is to go for 17'.... It will definitely make you feel money spend well because it will look nicer :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2