Mercedes C class W204 (Facelift) Reliability

jonbaekis00

Drove a 1.6 W204 FL CGI 7G TRONICS FEB2013. Got it from trustable PI which come with both front memory seats and steering column. Most c&c model of this generation dont come with these. No major problem but the smallest thing that failed amaze me. Inner door handle broken. Parts replacement is the whole inner door panel! abt 3k to order brand new! Definitely a good car to renew. But backside itchy now.. planning to change.

↡ Advertisement

It is one of the favorite cars I owned before.

Rock solid build even surpassing some Japanese and Koreans cars that are just launched.

But I had the air con compressor and some electronics replaced before.

To get the most out of W204, go for C200 and above. The 154 bhp unit is well underpowered for any fun drive.

• Praise 1

I need some advice. My Dad's W204 COE due for renewal in Dec so need to make a decision. He hardly drives the car so approx 80-100K mileage over the last 10 years or even less. 2 accidents (1st 7-8 years ago and 2nd one largely cosmetic 1-2 years ago). The car serviced according to schedule.

Is it reasonable to renew COE since W204 fairly reliable? Sorry for the stupid question cos all of you will say ... it depends on the condition. If depending on the condition, any recommendation of workshops which will give an honest answer? Honest workshop (oxymoron)?

Dad getting on in years so unlikely to want to drive max another 3-4 years so will likely sell the W204 then.

Any thoughts?

9 hours ago, Mcscot said:

I need some advice. My Dad's W204 COE due for renewal in Dec so need to make a decision. He hardly drives the car so approx 80-100K mileage over the last 10 years or even less. 2 accidents (1st 7-8 years ago and 2nd one largely cosmetic 1-2 years ago). The car serviced according to schedule.

Is it reasonable to renew COE since W204 fairly reliable? Sorry for the stupid question cos all of you will say ... it depends on the condition. If depending on the condition, any recommendation of workshops which will give an honest answer? Honest workshop (oxymoron)?

Dad getting on in years so unlikely to want to drive max another 3-4 years so will likely sell the W204 then.

Any thoughts?

I am a person who don’t believe in renewing coe... Few reasons: 

Higher road tax (10% more expensive every year from year 11)

rubber seal, gasket starts giving way 

searching for spare parts for replacement as this is an old model

potential longer breakdown time spent in workshop

of course, to each own. Some ppl can live with that but personal I prefer to spend my time on other more meaningful things in life e.g. spending with my children etc...

9 hours ago, Mcscot said:

Any thoughts?

Bad idea as it is too big for him.

At that age, should look at A class hatch for ease of driving 

On 10/8/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mcscot said:

Any thoughts?

How old is your dad? Since the car is with you, you should have the confidence whether to renew or not. Important to note is the auto gear function well?

On 10/8/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mcscot said:

Any thoughts?

W204 scrap value should be around 15-18k.

COE PQP is around 40k so you are spending at least 55k on COE renewal.

If you have a trusted outside workshop to repair your expected problems easily and resonably (NOT C&C), yes go ahead to renew.

If no, then don't take the risk - throw it away.

25 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

W204 scrap value should be around 15-18k.

COE PQP is around 40k so you are spending at least 55k on COE renewal.

If you have a trusted outside workshop to repair your expected problems easily and resonably (NOT C&C), yes go ahead to renew.

If no, then don't take the risk - throw it away.

take it as coe pqp of 40k + parf + body = 60k to 65k.

where can you get a mercs for 65k in SG? add in another 10k for future repairs, thats about 75k which is still cheaper than buying a brand new mercs. 

of course another school of thought 75k can go buy a brand new car (with current coe probably only attrage/bezza etc) and unless the person doesn't mind the badge, i will say renew as the owner should know the car condition best. 

then again, of course the money can be spent elsewhere too. 

On 10/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, Mark_goh said:

I am a person who don’t believe in renewing coe... Few reasons: 

Higher road tax (10% more expensive every year from year 11)

rubber seal, gasket starts giving way 

searching for spare parts for replacement as this is an old model

potential longer breakdown time spent in workshop

of course, to each own. Some ppl can live with that but personal I prefer to spend my time on other more meaningful things in life e.g. spending with my children etc...

Manage to fish out a 3 yrs thread.
Guess u are wholly out of touch with Modern technologies or any Technology .

Rubber seal & Gasket giving way ,Oh my God.

Guess Hanging around too much with yr Chidren does to u.

U should find some time to hang around with the misses too.

FYI,Cars in any countries are used  for Life (dun believe in coe renewal )or at least till yr Grandkids are out.

Onli in our Draconian laws ,it says 10 years.

↡ Advertisement