Dyson revs up hiring spree for Singapore electric car plant

kykh

Why like that? I was looking forward to a Dyson car that sucks (dirt from the road)! 

Is he going to sell his new properties now no more factory here? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

On 10/24/2018 at 5:59 PM, Ash2017 said:

I am more concern what our government had given to "encouraged" dyson to set up shop here

what was the spur that pushed our government, was it Dr M saw something about car manufacturing that they finally saw or just again want to be NO 1

I can almost bet my bottom dollar, Dyson would only leave the lowly jobs for locals and these would in reality be farm out to Malaysians, Indonesiams, Cambodians, Indians and etc

I am worried the price Singaporeans pay for our government decision would be too high a price to pay

the last time, they threw in an island to get MNC in, then somewhere along they gave away potential tax revenue to be collected (many have left after the goodies expired) etc

Has this happen? Will we get to know how much we lost in this deal when ordinary MCF member already predicted in advance?

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Has this happen? Will we get to know how much we lost in this deal when ordinary MCF member already predicted in advance?

we will never know unless you replace some of my colleagues in parliament.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

On 10/27/2018 at 6:39 PM, Mockngbrd said:

That one is built by Williams what. Unless u think the entire Williams racing team want to shift here.

Anyways, the Dyson thing. Prob here to jiak gahmen subsidy money, hire many amdk, den few years later jiak finish, close shop, say oops car Market too difficult, amdks go back to UK with fat fat bank account.

You willing to pay bmw/merc money to buy a Dyson car meh? A brand new manufacturer with zero experience in automotive. Might as well buy bmw/merc. Atas.

Buy Dyson ppl make fun of you during cny.

I was almost right! But buy gcb liao. 

• Praise 4

25 minutes ago, Saablover said:

Looks like our garmen again being taken for a good ride..... Oops!?

😲

Suckered by giant vacuum cleaner :).

No more self cleaning roads 😞

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator

Dyson abruptly scraps electric car project; ‘minimal’ disruption to S’pore workforce, operations
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/dyson-abruptly-scraps-electric-car-project-minimal-disruption-spore-workforce-operations

dyson.jpg?itok=si22PUzf

SINGAPORE — Barely a year after Dyson announced that it would build its electric car in Singapore, the British technology company announced on Thursday (Oct 10) that it plans to shut down its automotive project.

Singapore’s Economic Development Board (EDB) said the disruption to its operations and workforce in Singapore will be minimal, as Dyson’s decision not to pursue the electric vehicle business was taken at an early stage.

Dyson said it decided to close the project because although its automotive team has developed a “fantastic electric car”, it is not commercially viable.

The company’s founder, Mr James Dyson, said in an email to staff: “We have been through a serious process to find a buyer for the project which has, unfortunately, been unsuccessful so far.”

“This is not a product failure, or a failure of the team, for whom this news will be hard to hear and digest,” he stressed.

The company, he said, is working to quickly find alternative roles within Dyson for as many of the team as possible and that it has sufficient vacancies to “absorb most of the people into our Home business”.

Dyson, famous for making vacuum cleaners, has been in Singapore for more than a decade, with 1,100 employees undertaking a variety of functions including supply chain management, advanced manufacturing, and research and development.

The company announced on Oct 23 last year that it had picked Singapore to manufacture its first electric car, in a bid to challenge Tesla in the hottest sector of the automotive market.

The British manufacturer said then that it will complete the factory by 2020, with a goal of rolling out its first model by 2021.

The choice of Singapore — which doesn’t have a single car-manufacturing plant and is one of the costliest places in the world to buy an automobile — came as Tesla zeroed in on establishing a factory in China.

Then in January this year, Mr Dyson said that he was moving his corporate office and tax registration to Singapore from Britain to be closer to his fastest-growing markets.

Mr Dyson said on Thursday that the company will continue its £2.5 billion (S$4.3 billion) investment programme into new technology and grow The Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology, adding that the manufacturer will continue to expand at Malmesbury, Hullavington, Singapore and other global locations. Malmesbury, in Wiltshire, England, is where Dyson’s head office is, while Hullavington, which is about 8km away, is where its second UK technology campus sits.

“In summary, our investment appetite is undiminished and we will continue to deepen our roots in both the UK and Singapore,” Mr Dyson said.

Mr Tan Kong Hwee, EDB’s assistant managing director, said: “We understand that Dyson has chosen to focus on growing its core home business, including new product categories, and on the development of its battery technology.

“Singapore will play an important role in Dyson’s growth plans. This will lead to the creation of exciting job opportunities in its HQ, R&D and manufacturing teams, and the development of capabilities in sensor technology, vision systems, robotics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.”

Okay. means petrol car still can buy. VTEC!!!!!!!!

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Aloe111 said:

Can EDB now also scrap his permit for buying the GCB near botanic gardens?

It is good to keep Dyson's boss vested in Singapore.  Asia is still growing fast and I hope he can invest in other high-end manufacturing in Singapore.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Ysc3 said:

I am wondering... Any others of fully electric cars here?  How you charge your car? 

Charging is not a problem. you just need to change your lifestyle to accommodate charging process.  for a petrol vehicle, we can wait until no fuel liao then go pump petrol, but I highly do not suggest it, it is tedious for the fuel pump. So for an electric vehicle, we just have to be mindful about our juice and charge it whenever you see a charging point. is like your handphone, you don't wait for your phone to fully used up the juice then you charge mah. so same as an electric car.

I think an electric car is viable, but then again, our govt need to give us the incentive to change lah. if not everyone will just still to the petrol car and wait for further instruction.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, awhtc said:

It is good to keep Dyson's boss vested in Singapore.  Asia is still growing fast and I hope he can invest in other high-end manufacturing in Singapore.

he cannot go back liao lor. he anti brexit one. so I guess you will still see him hanging out at bukit timah area. 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, awhtc said:

You still don't realise he is taking gahmen for a ride? I mean, he has taken. Penthouse, gcb, dua liap factory land. Prob many tax concessions, can move many money here. Maybe got pr or citizenship offer liao? 

Gahmen give all these goodies never set milestones one meh?

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 7