Dyson revs up hiring spree for Singapore electric car plant

kykh

On 10/14/2019 at 12:01 AM, Icedbs said:

I feel that as long a foreign company or foreign investor brings his investment capital into SG, there will always be some sort of value-add to the economy, be it it is in the technology, financial, manufacturing or construction sector.

Building condos and real estate will somehow also benefit the local contractors, handy mans, interior designers, furniture and sanitary system suppliers, advertising companies, web designers, marketing agents. conveyancing lawyers, bankers and all the SMEs associated with real estate. It is a huge sector with lots of mouths to feed. Actually there is a lot of "R&D" in this sector as well, just that most people on the street do not see it. Just ask HDB or any large developers...they are innovating in many aspects from their design to their offerings simply because they are building so many and consumer's expectations keep going up.

Financial sector is another one that people do not see much "value". An Indian bank or China bank setting up shop in SG would mean little to most people, but behind the scenes, they created jobs and competition to the local banks so that the local banks continue their "R&D" on new digital banking systems.  Another line of SMEs benefited because of these foreign company investments.

So let's embrace these investments. All of them has a value the economy........even if we don't fully appreciate them

Not disagreeing that capital is one of the factors/ ingredients that drive growth.  But “ALL of them has a value".... are strong words to use in this context.  Based on that argument, we should consider selling SG passport/ PR for $500k a piece to the many middle class PRCs and Indians who are willing to invest those money for up to 5 years in SG govt bond, SG real estate and/ or other financial instruments.  

Many poor countries still do that to attract much needed capital but we are at a stage of development that requires more than $$$.  We need capital with as many multipliers as possible.  Top rated brains and talents without money are ok too.

Don't think our Central Bank is allowing foreign banks to suka suka open branches and expand in SG. We have always been highly selective.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

On 10/14/2019 at 11:50 AM, Neost said:

what surprises me is the speed of announcing coming here to setup factory and then decides not to. 

I thot this type of flip flop decision making is modulus oprandi of SMEs and not MNCs

That is true but this is an owner’s company. 

5 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Not disagreeing that capital is one of the factors/ ingredients that drive growth.  But “ALL of them has a value".... are strong words to use in this context.  Based on that argument, we should consider selling SG passport/ PR for $500k a piece to the many middle class PRCs and Indians who are willing to invest those money for up to 5 years in SG govt bond, SG real estate and/ or other financial instruments.  

Many poor countries still do that to attract much needed capital but we are at a stage of development that requires more than $$$.  We need capital with as many multipliers as possible.  Top rated brains and talents without money are ok too.

Don't think our Central Bank is allowing foreign banks to suka suka open branches and expand in SG. We have always been highly selective.  

I think you are offering an alternative viewpoint from mine. My post did not indicate individual personal interest (getting passport, buying houses, etc) as a way to value add the economy.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

Guess he will move his EV business to other developing country where the cost is cheaper..

Or he's simply not rich enough to pour billions of $ into the EV industry

3 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Picking a country which astronomically taxes EVs to set up shop and manufacture EVs

I think the writing was on the wall for the viability of Dyson EV business.

Guess how much EDB showered them with love.

I don't have an answer.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:30 PM, BanCoe said:

Actually a normal combustion car has 30,000 parts electric is about 11,000 

Even Apple car is either under wraps or collecting dust

Lord Dyson....... Build Your Dreams (BYD) :a-sing:....TCSS........ others have moved much faster than you and just goes to show that indeed Singapore is the most expensive city then again for this kind of industries    

Apple car died long ago

I was thinking if they set up shop here, there will be another job option for people at the production line, other than doing Grab driver or delivery.

No said driver or delivery not good.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

never say made in singapore right? made in uk lah

i know ... ask dyson kor start anothet ventilator plant in sg ... :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Edited by Wt_know

Internal Moderator
Just now, Volvobrick said:

Impressive! 👍

Would be even more impressive if it can double up as vaccum cleaner after the Covid 19 crisis is over!

This one industrial grade leh. hahaha. And is only limited to 15,000 pcs only. Sure expensive one. haha.

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

This one industrial grade leh. hahaha. And is only limited to 15,000 pcs only. Sure expensive one. haha.

Dyson price is usually 10X normal price. So far all my Dyson devices' reliability is 30% of normal.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3