Dyson revs up hiring spree for Singapore electric car plant

kykh

Supercharged

Great! We're finally going to have cars, albeit electric cars, manufactured in Singapore! The manufacturing facility is slated for completion in 2020, with its first electric vehicle rolling out by Dyson in the following year. You're reading correctly ...... Dyson, the maker of household appliances including bagless vacuum cleaners which it invented :)

Good to diversify our economy and create more jobs! Hopefully, it will be able to rival Telsa and serve as a catalyst for more automotive makers to set up assembly plants here!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/british-technology-company-dyson-to-build-electric-car-in-singapore-10855708

Edited by kykh
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Great! We're finally going to have cars, albeit electric cars, manufactured in Singapore! The manufacturing facility is slated for completion in 2020, with its first electric vehicle rolling out by Dyson in the following year. You're reading correctly ...... Dyson, the maker of household appliances including bagless vacuum cleaners which it invented :)

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/british-technology-company-dyson-to-build-electric-car-in-singapore-10855708

Great news! But I would really be more interested in how they gonna calculate OMV since if manufactured here there is no import tax and stuff. Bring the OMV low, ARF low and who knows we might finally have an affordable electric car. :D

• Praise 2

Dyson home appliances are luxe products that costs more than competitors. Dyson cars will also be the same. They will compete at Tesla price points, if not higher.

i have a few Dyson appliances

their service centre is [thumbsdown] ... very [thumbsdown]

Dyson home appliances are luxe products that costs more than competitors. Dyson cars will also be the same. They will compete at Tesla price points, if not higher.

Edited by Wt_know

Heard inside the car come with their hair dryer and curler.

Btw, how many of the jobs at the company will go to Singaporeans?

• Praise 1

Heard inside the car come with their hair dryer and curler.

Btw, how many of the jobs at the company will go to Singaporeans?

got bladeless fan to propel the car or not...

Turbocharged

Does Singapore have the experience, expertise and economy of scale to produce cars?? Our South East Asia neighbours produce in total about 4million vehicles in 365 days last year. Dyson should have invest in Thailand instead, the Detroit of SEA with many years of experience and skilled workers.

Singapore ITE got automotive course, but I’ve never encounter any Singaporean mechanics in my years of car ownership. Hard truth.

Unless electric cars can be charged full within minutes. I don't think many will buy electric cars due to need to wait very long time to get fully charged.

There is actually another technology which is using clean energy cars, which is hydrogen cars. These cars is able to charge up full within minutes. Just like going to petrol station, but instead of pump petrol, the car pump in hydrogen instead. Wonder why it does not took off that well as compared to electric cars.

Maybe it's because of the name tesla, if tesla invested in hydrogen cars, now we maybe keep hearing hydrogen cars instead of electric cars.

Edited by Yewheng