Why Singapore does not support renewable energy and EV?

Bigtoe

Singapore has BIG refine oil industry. I guess it may be a BIG money reason why Singapore Government did not support renewable energy such as win energy, solar energy, sea wave energy and EV.

Because of this BIG money reason, Singaporeans have to use petrol cars and have to pay for petrol tax + carbon/environment taxes while using petrol cars. Double wins for Singapore Government, double losses for Singaporeans and environment.

↡ Advertisement

Singapore has BIG refine oil industry. I guess it may be a BIG money reason why Singapore Government did not support renewable energy such as win energy, solar energy, sea wave energy and EV.

Because of this BIG money reason, Singaporeans have to use petrol cars and have to pay for petrol tax + carbon/environment taxes while using petrol cars. Double wins for Singapore Government, double losses for Singaporeans and environment.

An interesting read for you.

https://www.nccs.gov.sg/climate-change-and-singapore/national-circumstances/singapore's-approach-to-alternative-energy

Anyway,  IMHO,  someone else need to come up with a sustainable business. 

• Praise 1

It’s not sustainable long term. We need better battery technology to better store electrical energy. Battery longevity also needs to be improved otherwise we got to keep buying fresh batteries. The waste caused by used batteries is also not environmentally friendly. Renewable energy sounds good but just not sustainable long term.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Car is seen as a luxury transport, if environment is a primary concern can just force everyone to take public transport and ta da problem solved. 

Of the 3 you mentioned non of them unfortunately I see is sizable to make a large dent and the first two are not practical. We are already invested in solar which makes I think 5% of consumption) 

- Wind Energy - needs about 7M/s average for a wind farm to generate decent power, Singapore one average 2.5M/s or less. Not to mention limited land and environmental impact. 

- Sea Wave - Limited Sea space, limited sea wave, inefficient power generation compared to other two and inconsistent power generation.

- Solar - Most viable but limited space, cloudy skies making it less efficient compared to other countries (i,e Australia)

Or we can go Geothermal but that would mean relying on Indonesia more for our power, alamak cannot cannot

Best we go Nuclear lah, can also make missile then also can abolish NS the extra power can go to helping the new generation charge their phones with their freed up 2 years.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Your link was working few hours ago. I read it. Now it didn't work anymore, he he.

Singapore Government has a lot of excuses not to do renewable energy. Nobody wants to lose money from oil/petrol.

If they really wanted to do renewable energy, they could just take a small step to put solar panels on top roof of all HDBs and all condos. Singapore has enough money to cover all HDBs and condos top roof.

As for wind energy, they could build wind farms at sea around Singapore. A lot of winds over there, no excuse Singapore does not have enough wind speed.

As for tidal/sea waves energy, as long as there are waves, you can harvest energy, no excuse Singapore does not have sea or waves are not strong enough.

As for excuse renewable energies such as solar energy and wind energy are not consistent generators, current technology solved this inconsistent issue by using energy vault.

Here are few sample of energy vaults for inconsistent renewable energy generators

There are many other energy vaults solutions to store renewal energy.

• Praise 1

Itâs not sustainable long term. We need better battery technology to better store electrical energy. Battery longevity also needs to be improved otherwise we got to keep buying fresh batteries. The waste caused by used batteries is also not environmentally friendly. Renewable energy sounds good but just not sustainable long term.

We don't use batteries to store renewable energy. We use concrete blocks to store renewable energy like 2 youtube videos that I posted above. There are other ways to store renewable energy such as using train carts to carry weights up to top of hill or using weights to store energy at deep sea.

Using concrete blocks to store renewable energy is environment friendly and it does not require much space.

This ocean gravity energy storage solution is so complicated as compare to using concrete blocks tower to store renewable energy and it may have environment impact, not environment friendly to sea creatures.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Our electricity comes from Natural Gas which is piped from the Gas fields in Indonesia, whats the link with oil industry?

Also the electricity demand for 2016 was 48 Twh, how much can the solution mentioned below generate or store?

Your link was working few hours ago. I read it. Now it didn't work anymore, he he.

Singapore Government has a lot of excuses not to do renewable energy. Nobody wants to lose money from oil/petrol.

If they really wanted to do renewable energy, they could just take a small step to put solar panels on top roof of all HDBs and all condos. Singapore has enough money to cover all HDBs and condos top roof.

As for wind energy, they could build wind farms at sea around Singapore. A lot of winds over there, no excuse Singapore does not have enough wind speed.

As for tidal/sea waves energy, as long as there are waves, you can harvest energy, no excuse Singapore does not have sea or waves are not strong enough.

As for excuse renewable energies such as solar energy and wind energy are not consistent generators, current technology solved this inconsistent issue by using energy vault.

Here are few sample of energy vaults for inconsistent renewable energy generators

There are many other energy vaults solutions to store renewal energy.

Nearly all the power plants are losing money except one in the power generation sector.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/energy-commodities/power-generation-sector-crushed-by-massive-overcapacity

I don't think any one would invest into renewable energy commercially now for Singapore unless they are cheaper than traditional energy sources.

For example, Sunseap has a 100% solar energy electricity plan for consumers, but it is priced much higher than the other plans based on tradional sources. I wonder what is the takeup rate.

Nearly all the power plants are losing money except one in the power generation sector.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/energy-commodities/power-generation-sector-crushed-by-massive-overcapacity

I don't think any one would invest into renewable energy commercially now for Singapore unless they are cheaper than traditional energy sources.

For example, Sunseap has a 100% solar energy electricity plan for consumers, but it is priced much higher than the other plans based on tradional sources. I wonder what is the takeup rate.

Why 100% solar energy electricity plan for consumers priced much higher than other plans?

Same reason, why 100% electricity cars and hybrid cars for consumers priced much higher than gas/petrol cars?

Someone is not happy if consumers opt for using less gas/petrol.

Moral lesson to be learned in Singapore is: if you want to protect environment, you have to pay more using your own pocket money to protect environment.

Our electricity comes from Natural Gas which is piped from the Gas fields in Indonesia, whats the link with oil industry?

Also the electricity demand for 2016 was 48 Twh, how much can the solution mentioned below generate or store?

I agree with you

Pv very little energy

Want to do solar, do thermal solar

Some more if clad all hdb with solar collectors, can reduce a lot of heat island effect

• Praise 2

Actually I was talking with a Gman previously and apparently Solar is not as efficient in SG as most ppl think it should be. Mainly because even tho its f**king hot and shit here, we don't get that much direct sunlight as alot of the time, the Sun get blocked out by clouds and reduces the amt of energy produced. And current solar tech is not quite there yet for them to invest the $$$. Unlike in amdk places where they actually get more direct uncovered sun time.

The only way for us to move forward is geothermal. Put outside parliament. Lots of hot air generated. Can prob get nuclear equivalent.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)

All about the money money money

No! You mean PAP does not care for us?!

Edited by Vid

contrary to popular belief, a govt in a small south east asian country like easy solutions that can give immediate ROI....

Turbocharged

For thermal solar I've only heard using molten salts to harness the and store the heat, how to store the heat from the solar collectors into something that can be generated back to useful energy.

Some articles on government experiment with renewable.

Anyway anyone saying the govt must support EV to be environmentally friendly sound abit ironic, they can jolly well take public transport which is very environmentally friendly. 

I agree with you
Pv very little energy

Want to do solar, do thermal solar
Some more if clad all hdb with solar collectors, can reduce a lot of heat island effect

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3