Why Singapore does not support renewable energy and EV?

Bigtoe

14 hours ago, Karoon said:

the solution for energy storage sits on top of our hdb blocks. Water tanks.

can tell us more? Like how the water tanks can store energy, like any mod needed to make the tanks store energy?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

22 hours ago, Jamesc said:

The first thing they should electrify is the buses.

Our buses don't run 24 hours a day.

Charge them at night and run them during the day.

And for long distance buses put some overhead power lines on the slowest lane of the PIE, CTE and AYE.

They can charge while driving and most importantly

will be forced to drive on the furthest left lane.

That alone is worth going for electric buses.

:grin:

Buses with those retractable pentograph.

Can go up when there are power lines and retract when no lines like on some trains.

image.thumb.png.72e984aa177ddcf920318afc23c7d7fc.png

Back to old tech tram system! I will also change to an electric car and modify it with a bamboo pole on the roof and an extension cable to tap the power! 

• Haha! 2

8 hours ago, Mustank said:

can tell us more? Like how the water tanks can store energy, like any mod needed to make the tanks store energy?

I dunno about the water but a good start will be solar panels on the roof of every hdb flat.  

I am not sure if it is possible to modify the pipes so that the water pressure can turn a mini turbine as well - just a two cent thought.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Philipkee said:

I dunno about the water but a good start will be solar panels on the roof of every hdb flat.  

I am not sure if it is possible to modify the pipes so that the water pressure can turn a mini turbine as well - just a two cent thought.

Heh hehe 

solar panels convert light (not heat) into dc energy, not efficient 

Turbine needs waterfall size 

the way I suspect Can work efficiently is solar thermal. Those can save electricity from heating water for bathing 

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

Heh hehe 

the way I suspect Can work efficiently is solar thermal. Those can save electricity from heating water for bathing 

My  boss used to say

Watch this space.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/housing/hdb-closer-to-solar-power-target-after-awarding-latest-tender

Let's see how this plans out.

• Praise 1

On 11/14/2019 at 8:59 AM, Mustank said:

Heh hehe 

There are water dam that pump water upstream during daytime using solar power.

So that there will be more water to push turbine after sunset.

• Praise 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, Karoon said:

the solution for energy storage sits on top of our hdb blocks. Water tanks.

I don't that's practical though, you need a large body of water stored which the tanks on HDB are insufficient to hold. Even if the water did get up there you need a constant flow to run the turbines effectively which would literally drain the tanks (not to mentioned overwhelm the sewage system). 

Most of these systems utilize two large reservoirs one above and one below  which are in natural state which makes it cost efficient.

Supercharged

Commentary: Why hasn’t solar energy in Singapore taken off in a big way after so long?

Singapore’s options for domestically generated low-carbon electricity are relatively limited. There is insufficient wind for wind power, the rocks beneath us are not hot enough for commercially viable geothermal energy. Tidal and wave energy have theoretical potential but Singapore’s maritime space is too busy with shipping, and nuclear energy is considered too risky for Singapore even with today’s technology. Although Singapore’s climate is relatively hot and the weather is usually sunny, the average intensity of solar radiation across a full year is not very high....it is significantly less than that in northern China, and 30 to 40 per cent less than in the deserts of North Africa, the Middle East and Australia where vast solar photovoltaic arrays are being constructed. Singapore’s problem is cloud cover and humidity, as it is across much of Southeast Asia. In addition, the consistently high temperatures reduce the efficiency of photovoltaic cells. Space is the second key constraint. Singapore lacks vast open spaces in which to build large solar arrays. Much of the land here is occupied by buildings, roads and protected green spaces.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/solar-energy-singapore-panels-cloudy-unpredictable-electricity-14117980

We wouldn't have above energy problem if someone suitable applied for PR status here and give us a hand.  :grin:

5cc35bc8d4ca474abf207b72?width=700&forma

Why not YOU try to use solar energy instead of asking the govt?

Can easily buy online. You are also able to buy a basic starter kit(solar panel, management control, cables and batteries). Can expand if you have more budget. Ownself install.

After that post your cost of purchase and savings on your power bill. See whether it is easier said than done.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Why not YOU try to use solar energy instead of asking the govt?

Can easily buy online. You are also able to buy a basic starter kit(solar panel, management control, cables and batteries). Can expand if you have more budget. Ownself install.

After that post your cost of purchase and savings on your power bill. See whether it is easier said than done.

For most of HDB dweller, a wind turbine is a better option.

Might need to get EMA approval for installation.

Supercharged
5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

For most of HDB dweller, a wind turbine is a better option.

Might need to get EMA approval for installation.

Bird 1 : "Wah...suddenly so many propellers on top of buildings."  😥

Bird 2 : "死掉了咯..."

1 minute ago, Didu said:

Bird 1 : "Wah...suddenly so many propellers on top of buildings."  😥

Bird 2 : "死掉了咯..."

The wind turbine will be installed outside of your window.

• Haha! 1

I think a few reasons:

1) Petrol tax. Some talk about compensating the petrol tax with road tax on EV. It means government is not going to give up the petrol tax income by pushing more EV on the road. 

2) Power generation might not be enough to supply to EV. The recent engagement with Malaysia to buy renewable energy likely point to this direction.

3) Implementation of charging point. Who is going to pay for it? Usually some incentive are required to put new building with charging point. HDB conversion is going to be hard. Some HDB parking already not enough. Where do people park their car if HDB carpark going to close for 1month to install the charging point. Unlike other countries where they can put a plug in from their house. In Singapore, we need the car park to be EV enabled.

Supercharged
30 minutes ago, khee76 said:

I think a few reasons:

1) Petrol tax. Some talk about compensating the petrol tax with road tax on EV. It means government is not going to give up the petrol tax income by pushing more EV on the road. 

2) Power generation might not be enough to supply to EV. The recent engagement with Malaysia to buy renewable energy likely point to this direction.

3) Implementation of charging point. Who is going to pay for it? Usually some incentive are required to put new building with charging point. HDB conversion is going to be hard. Some HDB parking already not enough. Where do people park their car if HDB carpark going to close for 1month to install the charging point. Unlike other countries where they can put a plug in from their house. In Singapore, we need the car park to be EV enabled.

For (2), I think SG had a hard time over the years with our water supply from up north. It's through political will that we become more self sufficient today. We can engage MY for renewable energy to explore possibilities for co-operation, friendly engagement, knowledge transfer, ...etc. But unlikely we'll be heavily dependent on foreign power source due to national security concerns.

I agree with you on (3) that there will likely be insufficient charging points in HDB car parks. Another tool for Govt to encourage people to go car lite.  :grin:

take away the lucrative petrol tax, our highly paid ministars doesn't know what to do.

raise your gst again ?

Edited by Kb27
  • Haha! 2

So many excuses. Singapore not sunny enough, not enough wind, no sea for wave energy . . . . 

Don't tell me not enough cars on the road!

Everytime you stuck in a jam its free electricity.

:grin:

When covid over and its 5 RM to 1 SGD

The causeway will be the biggest power station in SG

image.png.1ea00a47f2266ae0b8780533802c02d3.png

image.thumb.png.c4fe4e7680d5185a43d477627076027a.png

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2