Uber's IPO flop bodes ill for Grab and Go-Jek

awhtc

Supersonic

All this big hype from these so-called technology companies. All lose $$ one

On the other hand, old skool CDG teksi is profitable. Got pay dividend somemore. Lol

• Praise 2

Yeah.. all hit and run one

All this big hype from these so-called technology companies. All lose $$ one

On the other hand, old skool CDG teksi is profitable. Got pay dividend somemore. Lol

honestly, the whole starting point for pvh ride sharing is:

u own a car and drive to work alone

how nice if someone else is going the same direction, longpang ur car and pay u

NOT

equipping up a large fleet of vehicles for rental even thru subsidiary and end up like taxi companies without the taxi box on top

imagine airbnb started building and owning apartments.......

• Praise 8

Supersonic

NOT

equipping up a large fleet of vehicles for rental even thru subsidiary and end up like taxi companies without the taxi box on top

True dat

I've taken Uber a few times in US and many do it as a part-time thingy to monitise downtime or make some extra cash over the weekend using their own car. Had this driver who's a high school teacher n his wife & kids were out of town that weekend so instead of being bored home alone, he drive. Another guy 80-yr old retiree drive in between dropping off his grandkids at school n picking them up

In sg when u hear young, able-bodied men rent car to drive full time, can't help if they're wasting their youth w no career plan

• Praise 3

Supersonic

show profitability means low fares cannot be around forever.

that means whoever is left in the fight, will ultimate raise fare.

True dat

I've taken Uber a few times in US and many do it as a part-time thingy to monitise downtime or make some extra cash over the weekend using their own car. Had this driver who's a high school teacher n his wife & kids were out of town that weekend so instead of being bored home alone, he drive. Another guy 80-yr old retiree drive in between dropping off his grandkids at school n picking them up

In sg when u hear young, able-bodied men rent car to drive full time, can't help if they're wasting their youth w no career plan

That is true. I remember Grab's tag line is to help people finance the car that they could afford, very much supporting sub-prime here. My place has a few 3 and 5 series with the PHV decals driven by considerably young chaps. I think this is a grave misconception to the younger generation. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Fully agree with you. Now these PHV companies create disturbance on the COE prices and it does not help when quotas are also dropping. But government does not care as long as they make money.

NOT

Supersonic

That is true. I remember Grab's tag line is to help people finance the car that they could afford, very much supporting sub-prime here. My place has a few 3 and 5 series with the PHV decals driven by considerably young chaps. I think this is a grave misconception to the younger generation.

Drive phv just to finance a car makes no sense

The whole point of a (supposedly) 'sharing economy' is so that u can monitise your assets. Not be a slave to them

Supersonic

It seems like nowadays any make/model and even it is a brand new car, all have PHV decals de. Dont know if all these cars are rental or privately owned car?

aiyo tis is serious

tot the merc a class with a decal i saw was the exception....

Hypersonic

I am surprised Uber cannot make money.

Their cost is computers and the programers.

They match buyer and supplier like airbnb or hotel.com or even carosell.

I think their real cost is incentive to driver and discounts to riders.

Remove these two and it's just cost of the apps.

I really cannot understand why they cannot make money.

:D

• Praise 1

Supersonic

It seems like nowadays any make/model and even it is a brand new car, all have PHV decals de. Dont know if all these cars are rental or privately owned car?

I've seen an S-Class w phv sticker. But I think that's probably a VIP chauffeur car belonging to a company rather than a JustGrab hack

Supercharged

i actually find uber and lyft overhyped, just glorified internet taxi companies, that's all.....

as for grab, i personally have always found them to be better than uber in the singapore turf and they do venture out to more arenas rather than just confined to ride hailing....

I've seen an S-Class w phv sticker. But I think that's probably a VIP chauffeur car belonging to a company rather than a JustGrab hack

wah if someone getting married goto this company to rent the s class for bridal car, got the phv sticker , the bridal deco must cover it ahahhahahahahahah front and back....

I saw an S-class (S350 cheaper model) at Kopitiam Square. I thought the driver must have got very good lobang with the rich and well to do.Near where I work there are 2 E-class and an A6, all with PHV stickers. I assume these probably belongs to retirees just want to past time or looking for people to talk to. 

Anyway... I have been talking to the drivers whenever I had the chance to Grab, most 60+ drivers are just doing to past time or have some coffee money. They felt bored at home and would like to serve the community hence they drive. These are the groups that don't bother about ratings and incentives.

The younger ones will tell me that they have no choice even if the incentives sucks then KPKB about the company being unfair milking the drivers and such. Usually these will end with "You ask so much you wanna come in and be my competitor ar?"

• Praise 1