First ITE graduate to get into NUS medical school

Ender

Supersonic

Must see the reason why he dropped out of school lo. Some people are smart and might be good in studies but due to some reasons cannot continue their studies.

• Praise 3

Thank goodness some positive news about NUS at last.

Correction

ITE actually

Hahhahah

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Rare.

Most likely a fluke that got corrected.

Now this dude must make it out the ten years. Getting out of medical school is harder than getting in.

The dukes .... hahahaha. No comment.

Turbocharged
(edited)

He failed his a level maths....

Let's hope he can do mental sums properly....

Sigh.... I wonder how the other 1001 student who got rejected feel... more like a publicity stunt.

Edited by Wind30

Twincharged

True Grit and Perseverance, and "Genuine"

Qualities of a Future Good Doc  [scholar]

post-23584-0-85644500-1558141586_thumb.j

From papers.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
(edited)

He failed his a level maths....

Let's hope he can do mental sums properly....

Sigh.... I wonder how the other 1001 student who got rejected feel... more like a publicity stunt.

'A' level maths not so much on mental sums. Can use calculator. It's the stuff like trig, calculus that trips people [laugh]

As for medical course, need a strong memory and lots of time spent acquiring the stuff to memorize. He don't need calculus and complex numbers.

It's just that our society still has this hang-up over meritocracy drummed in over the years. Just score as many A grade as possible in addition to stellar CCA. We get comfortable with this system because it is objective.

But now govt is trying to shift mindsets to accept a more "grey" subjective system, covering more holistic stuff and this naturally makes people uncomfortable.

In western countries, going to med school and being a doctor or taking a pilot license and being a commercial pilot are just professions like any other. People from diverse educational backgrounds can take it up, even mid-career switch.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

'A' level maths not so much on mental sums. Can use calculator. It's the stuff like trig, calculus that trips people [laugh]

As for medical course, need a strong memory and lots of time spent acquiring the stuff to memorize. He don't need calculus and complex numbers.

It's just that our society still has this hang-up over meritocracy drummed in over the years. Just score as many A grade as possible in addition to stellar CCA. We get comfortable with this system because it is objective.

But now govt is trying to shift mindsets to accept a more "grey" subjective system, covering more holistic stuff and this naturally makes people uncomfortable.

In western countries, going to med school and being a doctor or taking a pilot license and being a commercial pilot are just professions like any other. People from diverse educational backgrounds can take it up, even mid-career switch.

my two cents is that there is a big difference between A and F...

I guess he could have other redeeming qualities but being smart and a good doctor is not mutually exclusive. I assumed he tried his very best at preparing for his "A" level maths and still only get an F. That does say something about his IQ. 

I rather my doctor to be both smart and caring, ie wizard's second rule....

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Rare.

Most likely a fluke that got corrected.

Now this dude must make it out the ten years. Getting out of medical school is harder than getting in.

The dukes .... hahahaha. No comment.

I agree

Getting in ok.

Clearing it, that’s the challenge. I’ve seen many who get in but leave after 2/3rd yr

But let’s not dampen his efforts. I wish him every success

The other consideration is many now exit residency but there are no positions for them

End up doing Family med. something about the manpower planning that got screwed up in the last few years

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

I guess he could have other redeeming qualities but being smart and a good doctor is not mutually exclusive. I assumed he tried his very best at preparing for his "A" level maths and still only get an F. That does say something about his IQ.

Yes, but as I mentioned the selection system which used to be meritocratic is now grey-er. So things like his practical experience in nursing now gives poly dip holders a leg up for univ courses pick.

Anyway medical course is not cheap, that is another obstacle but looks like his family can afford.

Edited by Sosaria

Kudos to him. In all honesty, especially in Singapore,getting into medical school is still the one and only holy grail of parents and students alike. Everyday I see all parents and students striving so hard is perhaps to get into medical school. I guess the prestige and perceived high income helps. If an ITe grad made it to NIE to be teacher,it wouldn't have made the news. But this is life....

• Praise 2

Another Nicholas, luckily it is positive news this time... :D

Joke aside, I admire his courage to take up the challenge. With no full bio and chem background, I see a tough road ahead of him. And maths kills... I sincerely hope he can do miracle and be a role model for all aspiring youngsters who did not do well in their "O" level.

All the best Nicholas Chan! :a-m1212: Write a history for yourself and do your parents proud! :yuush:

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

Oh.

i assumed he got the necessary grades to get in. 

F for a level maths. Ouch. 

I got a B and I'm still unhappy with it to this day. Only one in my class to get B.

I hope he's ready for the step up.

The learning curve is really steep in med school.

↡ Advertisement