New Mobile MVNO telco.....Giga

zipping

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-giga-enters-fray-singapores-5th-mvno-and-8th-telco-operator

https://giga.com.sg/giga.aspx

Giga goes live today - Singapore's 5th MVNO and 8th telco operator!
By Zachary Chan - on 18 May 2019, 1:45pm

gigathumb.jpg

Singapore is a small little island with an increasingly crowded telco market. If you think that three major telcos (with a fourth on its way), and four mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) isn't already saturating the market enough, a brand new MVNO has just joined the ranks of Circles.Life, MyRepublic, Zero Mobile and Zero 1 today.

The new player is called Giga, and it will be a StarHub MVNO like MyRepublic. 

Giga offers only a single plan: $25 for 25GB of data. What makes it compelling is that Giga is also offering 1,000 free SMS, 1,000 minutes of free talk time, free caller ID, free incoming calls AND 2-month rollover data! This means if you don't finish your data for any billing month, it can be carried forward at maximum for the next two months. And as an icing on the cake, no contracts. As a launch promotion, all new signups before 18th June will get 1 month free subscription.

gigamain.jpg

Additional data can be purchased on the fly in 1GB increments for $2 per 1GB. If you're a heavy Facebook/Instagram or Whatsapp user, you can purchase specific data packs tied to those apps at just $1 per 1GB. They also have an interesting Roaming option called Jetset giga! where you can buy 1GB of data for $5 that can be used in any of the 14 countries listed below on any network. It's not a very expansive list sure, but it can be quite useful if you travel within Asia alot. 

gigaa.jpg

Giga is positioning itself as a fully digital operator, which means it will not have any physical presence, conducting business entirely through its mobile app. To do this, Giga will be the first mobile operator to implement Digital ID verification.

Related video

To sign up for the Giga service, you can download the Giga app right now, and follow the on-screen instructions (if you can't find it yet, here are the direct links: App Store or Google Play). You'll need your NRIC or Passport ready at this point as the app will ask you to take a picture of your ID and a selfie. This process is to match your face with that of your ID and ensure that you who you say you are during the sign-up process, and not using someone else's ID. You will also need to have a valid credit card to complete your sign up. Subsequent billing will be made to this credit card as well.

When you're done, Giga will courier over your SIM card. They've partnered with GOGOVAN for this delivery service, and according to Giga, all SIM cards are supposed to be delivered within 24 hours. You can even track the delivery process through the app in real time.

gigab.jpg

As a fully digital service, Giga is trying to make everything happen within their app, from real-time data tracking to account cancellation. Remember, Giga is currently a no contract service.

gigac1.jpg

In an attempt to appeal to the younger crowd, the Giga app is designed to be colorful and trendy. You can select a few custom avatars, which even has their own curated Spotify playlists to match their personalities. Even customer service is handled by an AI chatbot cat called Gino. You can ask him questions about Giga or tell you jokes (yes, I know I spelled joke wrongly, but Gino still understood what I wanted to say). Of course, you can request to speak to a real customer service person as well.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

wow, and I thought GOMO by ST is already unbeatable. 

Googled a bit and it seems going to have 1 or 2 more MVNOs .......... 

next year lah ... see how it levels against TPG ...

all these no contracts, my line also no contract. can keep switching till all normalise then see which one best deal

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

all these no contracts, my line also no contract. can keep switching till all normalise then see which one best deal

i think i might just port the zero1 number (wife using) over to giga and save $5 !

hopefully can be ported.

but backbone will be under starhub .... but zero1 is singtel ... hopefully SH is now better.

Edited by Ysc3

I'm on SH for the past 6 months, after being on M1 for the past 10-15 years. Coverage wise, no much diff to me. I would very much want to remain with M1, but they are usually slow to catchup  -_-

Hypersonic

I'm on SH for the past 6 months, after being on M1 for the past 10-15 years. Coverage wise, no much diff to me. I would very much want to remain with M1, but they are usually slow to catchup -_-

Slow in what way?

Got cheaper than m1 mysim 5+10 gb for $20 (inclusive of Caller id?)

(edited)

Slow in what way?

Got cheaper than m1 mysim 5+10 gb for $20 (inclusive of Caller id?)

Nope. But GOMO does it at the same $ for 20GB 200 mins 200 SMS Free Caller ID and no contract.

Circles.Life got promo now. $20 (for 12mths) for 20GB 100 min 25 sms Free Caller ID. no contract. Port in still have extra 2gb

Furthermore, the M1 plan you referring to is a 12mth plan.

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Nope. But GOMO does it at the same $ for 20GB 200 mins 200 SMS Free Caller ID and no contract.

Circles.Life got promo now. $20 (for 12mths) for 20GB 100 min 25 sms Free Caller ID. no contract. Port in still have extra 2gb

Ic. Haven't been keeping track last few months. Don't even know what's gomo until ur post.

I don't even use so much data/minutes. so to me, Roughly the same price can Liao. Whichever provider doesnt really matter as long can roam properly overseas during holiday. Since all of them ride on the big 3 networks.

Ic. Haven't been keeping track last few months. Don't even know what's gomo until ur post.

I don't even use so much data/minutes. so to me, Roughly the same price can Liao. Whichever provider doesnt really matter as long can roam properly overseas during holiday. Since all of them ride on the big 3 networks.

i am also a bit surprised our market can support so many full telcos and MVNOs ...maybe a lot of people have 2 phones.  [laugh]

but for full suite of services, I would also stick to big 3 and sign 12 month contract.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

If i am not wrong, Circle life don't have free incoming.  Incoming and outgoing calls all from that 100 mins allocated.

• Praise 1

If i am not wrong, Circle life don't have free incoming. Incoming and outgoing calls all from that 100 mins allocated.

Yes, you are right. Hence i added free incoming for $2.$18 + $2= $20. So its a fair comparison.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Yes, you are right. Hence i added free incoming for $2.$18 + $2= $20. So its a fair comparison.

Lol u Really know these plans well.

Haha. Cos last week my colleague signed with GOMO and i was like WOW. Then I saw this thread, WOW WOW.

It so happens I also planning to switch back to M1. The main draw to me is their Data Passport

Hypersonic

Haha. Cos last week my colleague signed with GOMO and i was like WOW. Then I saw this thread, WOW WOW.

It so happens I also planning to switch back to M1. The main draw to me is their Data Passport

I don't travel often. But when I do I find data passport convenient. But the 1gb for 5 bucks type of plans also quite OK lah. Especially for like short trips for few days.

Hypersonic

and I dont even know what is my basic plan...  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I don't travel often. But when I do I find data passport convenient. But the 1gb for 5 bucks type of plans also quite OK lah. Especially for like short trips for few days.

M1 data passport is something that will keep me with them long long, it is really convenient, and I find it quite economical also.  [thumbsup]  ^_^  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

M1 data passport is something that will keep me with them long long, it is really convenient, and I find it quite economical also.  [thumbsup]  ^_^  [laugh]

there is a monthly subscription fee right ?

unless you are super frequent flyer, then maybe it will make sense ?

but if travel say once or twice to different countries every year for holiday .... then its not economical to keep it ?

↡ Advertisement