Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

TLDR version

1) got some help to CSI his location. Turned out that the offending car belongs to a used car dealer.

2) made police report and insurance claim via Borneo

3) Borneo said the car plate have no insurance. they can't proceed to repair until the offender's insurer assessed the damages and approves their quote (10k plus).

4) waited and waited.. dulan. Cancelled with Borneo and went to 3rd party workshop on friend's recommendation

5) 3rd party workshop is confident. Told me to go to their lawyer to sign documents.

6) as it was CNY period, it ding donged for 2 weeks. When the workshop mgr returned from leave, he said his lawyer is unable to contact the offender's insurer since there's no LTA record. I paid $$ to run a search online at LTA.. really no record sia. since they didn't make police report and insurance report and there's no record of insurance, workshop is not confident of making a successful claim. I wrote a complaint to MAS, asking why a vehicle can be driven without insurance.

7) I dulan liao. Drove straight to the used car dealer and kaopeh. Showed them the video. They acknowledged it but geh siao, saying that they saw the car with scratches but didn't know they hit my car. LL they then made police report and to their fleet insurer too.

8) sent to their workshop to repair. Turned out to be a super farked up job. Even the car dealer himself acknowledged it's bad.

9) I demanded to send to my own regular servicing workshop to ask them for lobang for accident repair. Turned out that they know the car dealer personally so they negotiated for settlement.

10) changed to new original F Sport bumper and grille from stockist and respray and patch my fender. All done for less than 3k compared to Borneo's 15k quote.

Hmm.. The loophole is here. Hope authorities to push for update in law and punishment met out to those who caught driving cars with no valid insurance eventhough the person have driving license.

↡ Advertisement

Hmm.. The loophole is here. Hope authorities to push for update in law and punishment met out to those who caught driving cars with no valid insurance eventhough the person have driving license.

Reason why there's no record, turned out that it's under fleet insurance. The car i believe is part of inventory waiting to be sold.

Miraculously, after MAS responded me, the insurance record appeared when I searched again.

From Car Wars to The Lorries Strike Back to Return of the Motor/Cyclists.

Who says we can't do block busters? [laugh]

Edited by Mason016
  • Praise 1

TLDR version

1) got some help to CSI his location. Turned out that the offending car belongs to a used car dealer.

3) Borneo said the car plate have no insurance. they can't proceed to repair until the offender's insurer assessed the damages and approves their quote (10k plus).

4) waited and waited.. dulan. Cancelled with Borneo and went to 3rd party workshop on friend's recommendation

5) 3rd party workshop is confident. Told me to go to their lawyer to sign documents.

6) as it was CNY period, it ding donged for 2 weeks. When the workshop mgr returned from leave, he said his lawyer is unable to contact the offender's insurer since there's no LTA record. I paid $$ to run a search online at LTA.. really no record sia. since they didn't make police report and insurance report and there's no record of insurance, workshop is not confident of making a successful claim. I wrote a complaint to MAS, asking why a vehicle can be driven without insurance.

7) I dulan liao. Drove straight to the used car dealer and kaopeh. Showed them the video. They acknowledged it but geh siao, saying that they saw the car with scratches but didn't know they hit my car. LL they then made police report and to their fleet insurer too.

8) sent to their workshop to repair. Turned out to be a super farked up job. Even the car dealer himself acknowledged it's bad.

9) I demanded to send to my own regular servicing workshop to ask them for lobang for accident repair. Turned out that they know the car dealer personally so they negotiated for settlement.

10) changed to new original F Sport bumper and grille from stockist and respray and patch my fender. All done for less than 3k compared to Borneo's 15k quote.

Can't praise you but my god... I wouldn't have the patience to go thru half the crap you had to.
  • Praise 1

TLDR version

good patience. Not many would be so calm after the 2 weeks as that means waiting at Borneo Motor would have also been the same results

Pardon me, what's the deal with fleet insurance such that there would be no record? 

Did MAS take any action against the dealer or the offending driver?

Reason why there's no record, turned out that it's under fleet insurance. The car i believe is part of inventory waiting to be sold.

Miraculously, after MAS responded me, the insurance record appeared when I searched again.

Pardon me, what's the deal with fleet insurance such that there would be no record?

Did MAS take any action against the dealer or the offending driver?

I dunno. Maybe the car was in limbo, no owner so the used car dealer never include it in their fleet insurance that's why no record.

After I confronted them then they renewed, and subsequently appeared in the LTA DB? I don't know what's the real reason.

Just glad that everything was settled although it took me a few months.

There's a thread called Hit and Run in MSCP. A few similar cases as mine. I documented my case there too.

• Praise 1

I said it before and I will say it again.

Prius drivers are the worse especially PHV or taxi

and if got Macdonalds sticker confirm the worse of

the lot.

:D

Not MacDonalds sticker but SMRT sticker. 

• Praise 2

As i said previously, Singapore law is worse in this aspect.

India & Malaysia has better consumer protection where 3rd party is compensated (regardless legal or illegal act).

I had wrote to MAS to complain on this problem.

Write to them again to complain.

Without more ppl writing in, they will not act.  I told them bluntly that we are worse than these 2 countries.

Edited by Davidtch

If i were car driver i would accelerate and bring the bicycle along. Make sure he run follow my car

drive steadily to ensure the bike wont drop off, all the way to a police station.  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Dude you have no idea what happened to me once. Some idiot Civic Type R decided to speed thru a bend only to crash his car shortly after. I drove past and laughed at him. I took note of his license plate number and did a search. His road tax had expired and he only had a few months left on the COE. I am amazed how it is possible to drive around without valid road tax and not get caught.

• Praise 3

When meet this kind of people and you have car camera, just point to it to make them go away.

Doesn't help. For one thing, cyclist is basically in Thanos mode. All the adrenaline and righteous anger coursing through him. Nothing can turn him from his wrath etc. For another, what does the footage show, really? An AMDK (insert they-all-look-the-same stereotype here), but no other identification. Bet you the police could find him if they were sufficiently motivated but also bet you they're not.

That's why you need visible unique registration for all users of major roads who travel on anything but their feet, in my view. And that's also why-argue about the morality all you want- but it turned out to be a very good thing that that scumbag Eric Cheung was taken down (without serious injury, apparently) by that truck driver. Because without that, he would have got away scot free. Now at least he's suffering the torment of public shaming and, hopefully, trouble at work and anxiety about legal consequences. And it brought awareness to an issue that needs it.

Drivers shouldn't waste this opportunity. If nothing else, push hard for compulsory visible registration and maybe third party insurance for bicyclists. Right or not, @Davidtch?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4