Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

Doesn't help. For one thing, cyclist is basically in Thanos mode. All the adrenaline and righteous anger coursing through him. Nothing can turn him from his wrath etc. For another, what does the footage show, really? An AMDK (insert they-all-look-the-same stereotype here), but no other identification. Bet you the police could find him if they were sufficiently motivated but also bet you they're not.

That's why you need visible unique registration for all users of major roads who travel on anything but their feet, in my view. And that's also why-argue about the morality all you want- but it turned out to be a very good thing that that scumbag Eric Cheung was taken down (without serious injury, apparently) by that truck driver. Because without that, he would have got away scot free. Now at least he's suffering the torment of public shaming and, hopefully, trouble at work and anxiety about legal consequences. And it brought awareness to an issue that needs it.

Drivers shouldn't waste this opportunity. If nothing else, push hard for compulsory visible registration and maybe third party insurance for bicyclists. Right or not, @Davidtch?

Feel some wrath from you as well. Encountered these people before?

I still think try better than don't try. 多一事不如少一事。Many people would think twice before doing something stupid in front of a camera.

I proposed to having license plates for bicycles around 10 years ago when I started driving. Many dismissed it as it's hard to implement which I think is bs. If we can do to cars and bikes, we can do to bicycles.

↡ Advertisement

Doesn't help. For one thing, cyclist is basically in Thanos mode. All the adrenaline and righteous anger coursing through him. Nothing can turn him from his wrath etc. For another, what does the footage show, really? An AMDK (insert they-all-look-the-same stereotype here), but no other identification. Bet you the police could find him if they were sufficiently motivated but also bet you they're not.

That's why you need visible unique registration for all users of major roads who travel on anything but their feet, in my view. And that's also why-argue about the morality all you want- but it turned out to be a very good thing that that scumbag Eric Cheung was taken down (without serious injury, apparently) by that truck driver. Because without that, he would have got away scot free. Now at least he's suffering the torment of public shaming and, hopefully, trouble at work and anxiety about legal consequences. And it brought awareness to an issue that needs it.

Drivers shouldn't waste this opportunity. If nothing else, push hard for compulsory visible registration and maybe third party insurance for bicyclists. Right or not, @Davidtch?

You had mentioned about unable to claim in the event of hit & run traffic accident.

Why not pursue MAS on that?

I still think try better than don't try. 多一事不如少一事。Many people would think twice before doing something stupid in front of a camera.

I proposed to having license plates for bicycles around 10 years ago when I started driving. Many dismissed it as it's hard to implement which I think is bs. If we can do to cars and bikes, we can do to bicycles.

Why do you think hard to implement is BS?

Because it's doable.

If 20 years ago when LTA implemented ERP, hundreds of thousands cars and bikes no ERP device, and we managed it, how hard would it be to implement license plates on bicycles?

You had mentioned about unable to claim in the event of hit & run traffic accident.

Why not pursue MAS on that?

1) of what relevance is it here? even if MAS got off its ass and changed their regulations on this, it still wouldn't help with a bicycle that had no unique registration.

2) you're the one who keeps bringing up MAS, I never even mentioned it once - why do you want me to pursue them? don't try to "assign me homework" hor. :D

3) in any case, you claim to have written to MAS - what have you accomplished? What do you think will be accomplished by a thousand people writing to them privately, piecemeal? They don't have to save face in private right? If you felt so strongly, why not start a petition? Why not shame them on social media?

Long ago, I've encountered raging cyclists. They were pretty much all AMDK then, not Sinkie/Asian wannabees like we have now. But not lately. Maybe I've mellowed too, and am less likely to demand road space etc. All the same, when I see behaviour like this from cyclists inflicted on other road users, it makes my blood boil.

I believe they had licence plates for bikes a long time ago. They then waived the need for them.

By the way, just to be clear on my stance - and I've posted something to this effect before:

I don't insist on registration for *all* cyclists and PMDs.

Cyclists and PMD users who use roads with speed limits of 40 and below (these are generally residential roads) are not required to register their rides.

This allows for children to cycle (and accompanying adults to guide them on their own bicycles) in these areas without registration.

PMD users of any age can go to the shops and back to their houses without hassle on the residential roads.

I am OK with this because there is a greater need for caution along these roads. Drivers who speed along residential roads... well, god help them.

For those cycling along main roads - if they stick to pavements (while observing speed limits) and pedestrian crossings (dismount or slow and check before crossing), I won't insist on registration. Same applies to PCNs of course.

But anyone cycling on the tarmac of roads with limits above 40 (i.e. 50 and above) need visible (including in the dark, so reflective or luminous) unique registration at a minimum. Third party insurance - we can review that later because I'm sure the number of incidents will drop when the errant cyclists realise they no longer enjoy the anonymous impunity they've become so accustomed to.

Each rental bike has a visible serial number on it.......so why not any other device?

I'm comfortable with every cycle/PMD having a visible reference number.

I believe there are a couple countries already have plates on bikes. I've certainly seen something somewhere but off the top of my head cannot remember where.

Yes because too much effort needed but too little return (for them).

I believe what you want is a tag like a IU and not just registration.

https://www.togoparts.com/bike-label/

Can still be easily done. Just recycle the IU for cars going to the scrap yard. Just that need to ensure that the bicycle can generate enough electricity to power the IU.

The right things are often hard to do, so authorities choose the easy way out.

TLDR version

1) got some help to CSI his location. Turned out that the offending car belongs to a used car dealer.

2) made police report and insurance claim via Borneo

3) Borneo said the car plate have no insurance. they can't proceed to repair until the offender's insurer assessed the damages and approves their quote (10k plus).

4) waited and waited.. dulan. Cancelled with Borneo and went to 3rd party workshop on friend's recommendation

5) 3rd party workshop is confident. Told me to go to their lawyer to sign documents.

6) as it was CNY period, it ding donged for 2 weeks. When the workshop mgr returned from leave, he said his lawyer is unable to contact the offender's insurer since there's no LTA record. I paid $$ to run a search online at LTA.. really no record sia. since they didn't make police report and insurance report and there's no record of insurance, workshop is not confident of making a successful claim. I wrote a complaint to MAS, asking why a vehicle can be driven without insurance.

7) I dulan liao. Drove straight to the used car dealer and kaopeh. Showed them the video. They acknowledged it but geh siao, saying that they saw the car with scratches but didn't know they hit my car. LL they then made police report and to their fleet insurer too.

8) sent to their workshop to repair. Turned out to be a super farked up job. Even the car dealer himself acknowledged it's bad.

9) I demanded to send to my own regular servicing workshop to ask them for lobang for accident repair. Turned out that they know the car dealer personally so they negotiated for settlement.

10) changed to new original F Sport bumper and grille from stockist and respray and patch my fender. All done for less than 3k compared to Borneo's 15k quote.

i admire your persistent to get justice.

these ppl purposely make thing very hard, so many of us will give up.

some time its not about money, its justice.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Because it's doable.

If 20 years ago when LTA implemented ERP, hundreds of thousands cars and bikes no ERP device, and we managed it, how hard would it be to implement license plates on bicycles?

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=3&id=045d8bb4-d744-4be3-b004-ad4ff7a0a2e6

LTA's reasoning for not licensing bicycles. Guess there is not enough return for them.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/motorcyclist-almost-run-over-by-lorry-after-he-breaks-its-mirror-with-high-kick

Lorry drivers got road rage problem..

Edit: Issue with the video, click on the link to watch..

Because now it is acceptable to use your lorry to run down a person if he hits your mirror.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

By the way, just to be clear on my stance - and I've posted something to this effect before:

I don't insist on registration for *all* cyclists and PMDs.

Cyclists and PMD users who use roads with speed limits of 40 and below (these are generally residential roads) are not required to register their rides.

This allows for children to cycle (and accompanying adults to guide them on their own bicycles) in these areas without registration.

PMD users of any age can go to the shops and back to their houses without hassle on the residential roads.

I am OK with this because there is a greater need for caution along these roads. Drivers who speed along residential roads... well, god help them.

For those cycling along main roads - if they stick to pavements (while observing speed limits) and pedestrian crossings (dismount or slow and check before crossing), I won't insist on registration. Same applies to PCNs of course.

But anyone cycling on the tarmac of roads with limits above 40 (i.e. 50 and above) need visible (including in the dark, so reflective or luminous) unique registration at a minimum. Third party insurance - we can review that later because I'm sure the number of incidents will drop when the errant cyclists realise they no longer enjoy the anonymous impunity they've become so accustomed to.

But how are they going to enforce the unique registration if not all bicycles are required to be registered? I can just buy a bicycle online, then continue cycling on the road till I get caught then claim I don't know that bicycles need to be registered. Then the bicycles will need to have some sort of VIN so that people cannot just buy the same bicycle and make an identical license plate. Buying and selling of these bicycles will also have to involve LTA to do a transfer of vehicle?

I am not against it, but I guess the returns for LTA is not big enough for them to consider registering bicycles. They can definitely do it if they want though, since they can do it for the ebikes and escooters.

Hmm.. The loophole is here. Hope authorities to push for update in law and punishment met out to those who caught driving cars with no valid insurance eventhough the person have driving license.

Hope ??? our LTA is Hope ............. less  :D

Such simple loophole , all those scholars sit in LTA for what ?  -_-

• Praise 5