Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

It is quite straightforward that the biker did not give way in the first place and forced his way into the right turn forcing the car driver to take evasive measures to avoid a collision, regardless of whether the car had kept left or not after the turn.

If the biker had let the car complete its turn first, the confrontation would never have happened.

Also, if this had ended up in a collision, biker is 100% liable as per Barometer of Liability Chart.

With your initial comments that the biker is "not unreasonable" to make that right turn, I guess it is not unreasonable for me to suppose you drive like that too.

Again, I'm talking cock, singing song [laugh]

Basic theory book. All 3 points are RULES. Not 1st rule is bigger than 2nd rule or bigger than 3rd rule.

Both rider and car broke the rules.

Point

81 At an uncontrolled junction where there are no traffic lights, “GIVE WAY” sign or “STOP” sign:

(a) If you are going straight across the junction, you must give way to traffic going straight from the right.
(b) If you are turning right, you must give way to traffic going straight from all directions, as well as traffic turning right from
the right and traffic turning left from the opposite direction.

84 When turning right into a two-way street, turn into the lane just left of the centre line of the road you are turning into.

86 If you intend to turn left, keep to the left, signal in good time, and do not swing out to the right before or after making the turn.

• Praise 2

It is quite straightforward that the biker did not give way in the first place and forced his way into the right turn forcing the car driver to take evasive measures to avoid a collision, regardless of whether the car had kept left or not after the turn.

If the biker had let the car complete its turn first, the confrontation would never have happened.

Also, if this had ended up in a collision, biker is 100% liable as per Barometer of Liability Chart.

With your initial comments that the biker is "not unreasonable" to make that right turn, I guess it is not unreasonable for me to suppose you drive like that too.

When u make a snarky comment about someone and the other person lets it slide, there's no real need to justify it again.

Yes, you are right about the BOLA chart. 

• Praise 1

it's probably the UL quality lah. The site restrict to lower reso?

My reading glass degree is getting bad because of these sites .

who is at fault or right of way is secondary.

who would feel the physical hurt is more relevant.

But right of way is always irrelevant or being ignored until some stupids get hurt,....and start to play victim.

Agree. Usually I would give way to situation like this because I dont like anyone to get hurt.

But after looking at the attitude of the biker, I have this to say...

Biker supposed to give way.

If the car give way, biker should gesture a thank you.

If car dont give way, biker better behave LL, not point hand point leg.

If biker get knocked, LL pick up the bike and pretend nothing happen.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

The cam car was filtering right to turn right at the next junction right after the left turn.

Many KB warriors bashing the car driver for now following the SOP for lane change after left turn, but damn, look at the distance to the right turn, where got time to keep left first then signal right and check mirrors while slowly filtering right?

If he signalled, I don't fault him much, if at all.

No signal means he done f**ked up.

Sorry, I consider signalling very important.

Bikers should take more precautions cause win or lose, bodily harm is permanent. I rode a bike for 8 years. The roads' condition, intensity of cars, driving mindset have changed vastly over the years. I seriously will not choose to ride now as compared to the past. 

Like what most ppl have said, try not to insist right of way, in the end, right or wrong, inconvenience is the only constant. 

• Praise 4

Bikers should take more precautions cause win or lose, bodily harm is permanent. I rode a bike for 8 years. The roads' condition, intensity of cars, driving mindset have changed vastly over the years. I seriously will not choose to ride now as compared to the past. 

Like what most ppl have said, try not to insist right of way, in the end, right or wrong, inconvenience is the only constant. 

my mother was against me taking 2B 30 years ago … but I failed 3 time and gave up.

then when I passed my class 3 20 years ago, she paid for my first (used) car.

mothers' are always right !

• Praise 5

can't agree more. 

if my son wants to ride a motorbike in future. i will be the first one to object! have seen enough and also lucky to enough to survive the roads. lol.. 

• Praise 1

When it comes to blame proportioning on paper, biker is at fault.

You need to look at your driving theory books again.

End of the day biker is the impatient type... Does not matter who is right and who is wrong.. If this biker continue with the impatient type of riding, one day he may met into accident due to his impatientness.

Well..

Yeah, agree with you on the signalling part, although we won't know for sure if he did signal or not.

Regardless, non-signalling is my no.1 pet peeve on the roads.

• Praise 1

Bro , for this case , the car how to signal ? The lane he is on , is for turning left , even before completing the left turn , he needs to go to the third which is a turn right only lane if he intends to turn right . The distance between the car fully completing his left turn and getting to the third lane is very close . So i doubt anyone will turn into the inner 2 lanes before signalling and cross over to the third lane which is for turning right only .  

Edited by Hubwee

Basic theory book. All 3 points are RULES. Not 1st rule is bigger than 2nd rule or bigger than 3rd rule.

Both rider and car broke the rules.

Point

81 At an uncontrolled junction where there are no traffic lights, âGIVE WAYâ sign or âSTOPâ sign:

(a) If you are going straight across the junction, you must give way to traffic going straight from the right.

(b) If you are turning right, you must give way to traffic going straight from all directions, as well as traffic turning right from

the right and traffic turning left from the opposite direction.

84 When turning right into a two-way street, turn into the lane just left of the centre line of the road you are turning into.

86 If you intend to turn left, keep to the left, signal in good time, and do not swing out to the right before or after making the turn.

The problem with some people is that they tend to read traffic rules strictly off the book without fully comprehending the principals behind it. I agree with you in this argument. I chose to reply to your thread because its impossible to argue with bigots.

When i was in SSDC learning to drive, i was once told by my driving instructor that on a road where two cars in opposing direction are turning into the same road with two lanes, both cars can do it at the same time as long as the road is clear and its safe to do so.

What he said did not contravene the traffic rules that you stated. The left turning vehicle is turning into the lane furthest from the centre divider while the right turning vehicle is turning into the lane next to the centre divider. Yes right turning vehicles should give way to left turning vehicles if both are turning into a road with ONLY one lane. Logical no?

In this case the bike was not wrong to turn right. Of course he would be on the losing end if the cam car knock into him because the cam car failed to observe traffic rule i.e. turn left into the lane furthest away from the centre divider then signal and lane change.

Some people argued there wasnt enough time to signal and lane change. With regards to signalling i disagree. Changing of signal can be done once the car start turning and the motorbike will be able to see it. If the bike chose to speed up n continue its turning, well accident will happen if one of the parties don't GIVE WAY as stated in the traffic rule.

About not enough time to lane change, ya i agree there are some roads which have this problem. Then again, the driver can choose to go head on with the other party (bike or car or king kong lorry) and force its way into the lane next to the centre divider but dont post cam footage and try to justify own action. Because i am sure there is a junction further ahead that the car can still turn to continue with its journey.

Edited by Sotong1977
  • Praise 1

This is something I'm damn dulan about.

At a signalised junction, drivers on the opposite side should wait for drivers who are turning left to complete their turn before they proceed to turn right, even if there's no cars going straight.

In this case, although driver didn't practice proper lane discipline, the biker is in the wrong also.

Damn CB to see LJ riders like that gesticulating like the whole world owes them when they themselves are the root cause of the situation.

Agree...we were taught in driving school that right turning vehicles must give way to left turning vehicles, not turn together. Unless the road is wide enough to hv many lanes & there are markings dedicated to certain lanes for right turning vehicles. This is a clear example that rider should not turn together with another left turning vehicle. Many motorists do behave like that & sorta bcum habitual. I was honked before for not turning while vehicles oppo are turning left, the driver behind was windering whats holding me back but that clearly wasnt a safe manuveur for me. Another junction that such similar incident happen daily is somewhere near bt batok mrt stn.
  • Praise 1

End of the day biker is the impatient type... Does not matter who is right and who is wrong.. If this biker continue with the impatient type of riding, one day he may met into accident due to his impatientness.

Well..

Sorry but pls let me stereotyped just once. Biker riding scrambler so what do u think? I hv never seen a scrambler being ridden by a safe rider anyway (unless tats ridden by me...haha). Majority of scramblers are dangerous riders. Likely bcos they feel they are taller all the time & they can pick up speed fast all the time too. My take for the rider, continue to ride this way with this attitude, one day sure kena one. This type of rider is exactly those who suddenly cut lanes abruptly & other rd users will not be able to spot him in those spilt secs.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2