Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

Turbocharged

All in the name of making a honest living. Putting food on the table or sending the kid to uni.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

With an ageing population and a more affluent society, we will have many older drivers on the roads as people can afford cars even when they hit retirement and old age. I will not be surprised if we see more accidents/incidents on the roads due to medical problems of the driver. Technically it's not illegal to suffer a stroke while behind the wheel even if you caused an accident (correct me if I'm wrong) although TP might not let you drive until you're certified medically fit. 

This is actually a common problem overseas, especially in areas with many elderly people and where cars are cheaper and in some cases necessary. It takes a lot of effort for an old person who has been driving around for years to get groceries, meet friends and run errands to suddenly give up their independence and freedom because they are no longer capable of driving. 

Many countries also have stricter regulations in terms of granting driving licenses. On top of the regular medical checkup above a certain age (like what we have here), doctors are also required to inform the authorities if a person has been diagnosed with a condition that might render him unfit to drive,  even if the person is relatively young. Don't need to be so serious like stroke or heart attack. Even things like deterioration of your ability to hear can make you lose your license. Not sure if our SG TP has such systems in place or everything is left to the individual's discretion. 

There has been a huge discussion recently in the UK where the authorities want people with autism to declare this when applying for their driving licenses. Whether people with developmental conditions (e.g. autism) should be allowed to drive is another discussion but my point is should regulation be tightened in SG? 

Actually, the driver maybe just feeling unwell suddenly and this may not be due to old age. But the taxi driver in this case need to get a medical check up done for his own sake and the safety of the passengers.

no worries. soon driving is a thing of the past in sinkieland

ah gong pushing for BMW (bus-mrt-walk) and car-lite estates

driving is not fashionable and super duper premium charges with erp 2.0 and $25 a pop for parking [sly]

This is actually a common problem overseas, especially in areas with many elderly people and where cars are cheaper and in some cases necessary. It takes a lot of effort for an old person who has been driving around for years to get groceries, meet friends and run errands to suddenly give up their independence and freedom because they are no longer capable of driving.

58 retired + 17 years taxi = 75?

Personally those above 70 shd be going for annual checkups

This sounds like TIA

Heng nothing happen to the passenger

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

no worries. soon driving is a thing of the past in sinkieland

ah gong pushing for BMW (bus-mrt-walk) and car-lite estates

driving is not fashionable and super duper premium charges with erp 2.0 and $25 a pop for parking [sly]

58 retired + 17 years taxi = 75?

Wow taxi driver can work till 75 ah. Really respect for having to work long hours.

Guys. A check on this incident

I was on CTE trying to overtake and the red taxi behind refused. So he sped up and our mirrors clipped.

No damage except his mirror got closed and he had to wind down and open it.

Does this constitute an accident that needs reporting? My opinion is no.

I was on CTE trying to overtake and the red taxi behind refused. So he sped up and our mirrors clipped.

just report to cover ur behind...you know how CBK taxi drivers are esp those in RED..

• Praise 9

if both honk and the mirror was clip, you should stop your car and exchange particulars. Else even if you report, the red may file it against hit and run.

BUT, if no honking and like what was describle, then you just have to go on line to report to your insurance. If it makes u feel better, file a Police report on line as well.

On hindsight, the few sec savings resulted in 2 hours worth of time lost that can never be plowed back .

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

if both honk and the mirror was clip, you should stop your car and exchange particulars. Else even if you report, the red may file it against hit and run.

BUT, if no honking and like what was describle, then you just have to go on line to report to your insurance. If it makes u feel better, file a Police report on line as well.

On hindsight, the few sec savings resulted in 2 hours worth of time lost that can never be plowed back .

I so agree

Now just let it go.. better things to do .. wanna squeeze , squeeze lo

• Praise 1

Did you stop to take pictures?

It happened to me with a PHV.

I was filtering left to exit via the outer lane when the PHV suddenly veered right and clipped my wing mirror which folded in.

We came down, no damage, didn't exchange particulars and I drove off. But I was visibly dulan and I had a heated exchange with the guy. I Didn't report insurance but he did and wanted to claim me for his broken wing mirror.

Heng I had a rear view cam which showed that his mirror was already on masking tape holding it up.

CB kias. Red taxi drivers are mostly CBs in my opinion.

I was worried too cos if I report, my insurance will be impacted. But if I didn't and the other party did, I don't know willy insurance be cancelled or not.

So imo, to cover your ass, make a report and submit your video for evidence, and say you are not claiming anything. This is for reporting purpose.

All the best.

• Praise 6

Did you stop to take pictures?

It happened to me with a PHV.

I was filtering left to exit via the outer lane when the PHV suddenly veered right and clipped my wing mirror which folded in.

We came down, no damage, didn't exchange particulars and I drove off. But I was visibly dulan and I had a heated exchange with the guy. I Didn't report insurance but he did and wanted to claim me for his broken wing mirror.

Heng I had a rear view cam which showed that his mirror was already on masking tape holding it up.

CB kias. Red taxi drivers are mostly CBs in my opinion.

I was worried too cos if I report, my insurance will be impacted. But if I didn't and the other party did, I don't know willy insurance be cancelled or not.

So imo, to cover your ass, make a report and submit your video for evidence, and say you are not claiming anything. This is for reporting purpose.

All the best.

Yes for formality and cover ass

red cab?

clipped side mirror can resulted in dent panel when the force is transmitted down.

Thats how powerful their statement can be. Report to be on the safe side.

Oops. Clipped is a wrong word.

Clipped connote damage.

My situation is literally just folding of mirrors.

But yea. Point noted. To report

• Praise 1

You are certainly an experience driver, I wonelder how you have ended up this way. Is there lesson learned that you could share with the bros here how to avoid similar situation ?
  • Praise 1

That must be really close to have side mirrors of both cars in contact.

Oops. Clipped is a wrong word.

Clipped connote damage.

My situation is literally just folding of mirrors.

But yea. Point noted. To report

• Praise 1