Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

The 911 was not alone. Convoy up with 911 gang. And so show off and start to pace each other and then one thing leads to another. That’s why I hate convoys, too much ego at stake. Sure kill others or kill your self one day.

I do agree with some of your points on convoy driving. I've been in too many convoys to count, in many makes and models. Almost any convoy I've been in, even the exemplary ones, have exhibited some form of occasional bad behaviour. I've also led a convoy myself.

With convoys (to the Northern neighbour(s) specifically, not just "rounding" in Singapore), there are a few things to watch out for:

- indecisive convoy leadership, with routes switching suddenly, e.g. 2nd link suddenly going to Causeway, arguments over the comms set between what the navigation says and what they "know".

- poor convoy leadership which is not able to regulate its own speed to allow others to keep up. Once, on an unofficial convoy of BMW M cars, the lead driver was an ang moh in an M135i (which was also my car model at the time). There were quite a few other M and M performance cars in the drive, including an E60 M5. We were doing a drive up to Fraser's, and this guy seemed determined to make it a Cannonball Run style experience, with some extremely fast and risky driving along the B roads, overtaking blindly even along the hilly roads. I had been promoted to second car because none of the others seemed able or willing to keep up with him (so they kept losing sight of him). When I was second car, that wasn't an issue and I was able to stay with him no matter what he tried, but I ended up losing everyone behind me, so I had to keep radioing him to slow it down. Not a pleasant drive. The sweeper role addresses this issue to some extent but if you have weak drivers in the middle, it's very easy to lose radio contact midway through the convoy.

- people who can't wait to start speeding, and start too early, even on the way to customs in Singapore. Guys, the whole point of this exercise is to have a long drive at much higher speeds than in Singapore, can try not to risk our licences in SG please?

- internal moving hazards: people who don't understand - or who choose not to understand - "convoy discipline". There are people following too closely, people trying to overtake others in the convoy, people trying to split traffic into two lanes but not doing it very well and almost sideswiping each other. There may be subtle and hitherto unrecognised petty rivalries between drivers on a convoy. There are those who simply cannot wait for an "all clear" on the comms set from the leaders before attempting a risky B road overtaking maneuver.

- external moving hazards: foreign cars (or even some other Singporean tiong chias) who can't resist "playing" with the other cars in the convoy. They insist on intercalating themselves within the convoy to disrupt it, alternately speeding/tailgating and slowing/hogging. Their motives are very transparent. The worst part is that you'll likely encounter these a**holes many times in the course of a long drive on a highway, since even if you all pass them with the power of your cars, other traffic will eventually slow you down and allow them to catch up since they're driving like maniacs.

- other miscellaneous hazards - rocks and stones chipping and breaking windows and body parts, road cones, even birds getting squished or slammed at high relative speed into one's radiator (don't ask me how I know this, that was a gross experience for me personally). Of course, there are also the malicious hazards - the rempits on bikes ready to throw eggs on your windscreen etc. - thank god (and touch wood) I haven't encountered this sort of crap before.

I think that a little reflection is warranted - we are definitely breaking the laws up North, but they're gracious enough to continue letting us do it, mostly without serious consequences. The least we can do is to cause the minimum amount of inconvenience and "terror" to the "innocent civilians" on the roads and keep safety as the top priority. If you really want to push it very hard, there's always the Sepang circuit (I don't like PG personally, but there's that as well).

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

Turbocharged

Cruise as they term it down under here..

Attended a few cruises here, the organisers always tell us to take it easy, but unfortunately there are some bad eggs around and usually they are banned from attending future cruises..

• Praise 1

(edited)

Crash driver pleads guilty to drink driving

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/crash-driver-pleads-guilty-to-drink-driving

remember the carnage outside Amara Hotel ?

Drink driver jailed 18 weeks over Tanjong Pagar accident that injured 4 pedestrians

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/drink-driver-jailed-18-weeks-over-tanjong-pagar-accident-that-injured-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fakuUVfYZCw

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

(edited)
The damage is done, no amount of fine or jail term could reinstate his screw up. Lessons learned is dont drive when one drinks. Edited by Ct3833

from roads.sg

https://www.facebook.com/Roads.sg/videos/428212427933738/?t=1

Calling lawyers, insurance experts and TP wannabes for advice on this.

"After many months from the accident, I received a letter from the lawyer of the biker with regard to this accident. I don’t know who should I turn to, so seeking advice.

I made my accident report at the nearest police post and also to relevant all the authorities. My workshop also made claims against the rider's insurer. The TP also issued a letter to the rider for his recklessness. Then recently, rider asked his lawyer to issue a letter requiring me to furnish my particulars, police reports etc. I do not believe they have the right to ask me for all these. In the letter, it claims that I was being reckless that caused the rider to rear-end me in the accident.

My front video showed I braked to slow down, not even to the extent of emergency brake, to avoid a truck coming into my lane. The rider switched lane picked up speed and he could not brake in time due to the short distance. Ended up his bike skidded towards my rear and hitting it.

Should I be responding to this lawyer letter at all?"

Credit: Mr Yap

Admin: We say it all the time, a set of good front and back camera will always save the day and loads of trouble from insurance claims.

• Praise 2

Do u have a copy of the TP letter to the rider citing rider's recklessness? Are u copied?

Contact your Insurance company and update them on this latest progress. If the rider wan to play punk and act innocent, pls feel free to expose him. I doubt he has given his lawyer the full details of the incident and paying a small fee to frighten you into settling to avoid legal "problems". This works for ppl who want to avoid "mafan" or trouble and see lawyer letter will break out in sweat. No biggie. Anyone can engage a lawyer and pay a very small fee to chut such an initial letter. Usually $80 to $300 depending on type of issues and big name of law firm.

Well, if your account is truthful, please call his lawyer and say you will be happy to email the TP's letter. And that you are prepared to go the distance to prove your innocence and/or any false accusations about your involvement.

Hope this helps. Its stupidity and bad advice given to the rider to try his luck against you when TP have already investigated the matter and found him reckless.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 2

from roads.sg

"After many months from the accident, I received a letter from the lawyer of the biker with regard to this accident. I don’t know who should I turn to, so seeking advice.

I made my accident report at the nearest police post and also to relevant all the authorities. My workshop also made claims against the rider's insurer. The TP also issued a letter to the rider for his recklessness. Then recently, rider asked his lawyer to issue a letter requiring me to furnish my particulars, police reports etc. I do not believe they have the right to ask me for all these. In the letter, it claims that I was being reckless that caused the rider to rear-end me in the accident.

My front video showed I braked to slow down, not even to the extent of emergency brake, to avoid a truck coming into my lane. The rider switched lane picked up speed and he could not brake in time due to the short distance. Ended up his bike skidded towards my rear and hitting it.

Admin: We say it all the time, a set of good front and back camera will always save the day and loads of trouble from insurance claims.

So what Rider's Lawyer want the car driver to do, bang in truck and save Rider for not keeping proper distance?

From video it seems very clear that Rider was able to keep proper distance and rear ended the car, not sure what lawyer wants?

from roads.sg

"After many months from the accident, I received a letter from the lawyer of the biker with regard to this accident. I donât know who should I turn to, so seeking advice.

Give it to the Insurer

They will take care

Same thing happened to me and after I gave the letter to the insurer , never heard from them

The biker trying his luck, same as in my case

• Praise 11

Give it to the Insurer

They will take care

Same thing happened to me and after I gave the letter to the insurer , never heard from them

The biker trying his luck, same as in my case

Doesn't the rider know that he just reserved himself a first class ticket on the Infernal Express?
  • Praise 3

(edited)

since it's a drink driving ... all the claims will the insurance cover especially the "medical cost" and "compensation" sure jialat jialat

i always heard the statement that if it is a drink driving, insurance company will deny all claims

victim can only claim the offender? i recalled the infamous ferrari prc machi accident ... insurance did paid out to victim right?

Drink driver jailed 18 weeks over Tanjong Pagar accident that injured 4 pedestrians

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/drink-driver-jailed-18-weeks-over-tanjong-pagar-accident-that-injured-4

post-7984-0-54971100-1554164953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement