Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

(edited)

Competitive daily driving.

I am familiar with this road as office in CBD previously.

There is no confusion signage as arrow on road indicated a lane split and not a left turn lane.

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/@1.27274,103.8428028,3a,75y,41.62h,86.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbqNQChc7wWYatlCS5vW__Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Patwong
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

I am familiar with this road as office in CBD previously.

There is no confusion signage as arrow on road indicated a lane split and not a left turn lane.

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/@1.27274,103.8428028,3a,75y,41.62h,86.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbqNQChc7wWYatlCS5vW__Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Ya very clear cut.

Even from the video can see clearly then marking and arrow on the road.

Very obvious the audi is cock.

Maybe he thought he got on signal the honda must give way.

Or he didnt think of slowing down to change lane or go further up to make a turn.

• Praise 2

Actually my main post is to share for awareness, and I know I am not perfect too. I did not shame the person as I did not even post car plate no, did not post video. Who else will know only him lor. Actually I am more then happy if he want to meet me one to one to discuss or give me a call to discuss what could have done better I am more then willing to take his call and talk to him. Of coz if it is my mistake or somehow things end up actually I am too cauious then of coz I will take it to strike too.

Ya, like people said, like this I bound to make enemies. But then well, sometimes a person willing to take criticism is actually able to progress further as compared to those who don't. Look at ceo and those at top position and billionaire, many are humble and willing to take criticism and to improve also. No one is perfect.

Its ok.

You posted with intention to share and you approached the other driver with the intention to remind/alert him of the dangers that he may or may not be aware of.

Its definitely better than just posting here and ask if he's on the forum or a friend or colleague or gf or bf or grandmother or grandfather may know him to pass same message.

Dislikes from ppl without courage is no big deal. I treat these as cowards anyways and they do not need any further attention. Just ignore their comments because they already saying they no seed so why bother. I won't even bother to screenshot to waste bandwidth. Nick also dare not use, what they have to say is really kosong. In character and in words.

Relax. Difference in opinion is not wrong. Also can learn to see from another angle. But if prejudiced already, jialat. Only can see one angle always so with these, dun waste too much time.

Keep safe on the roads. Pls continue driving defensively. May be wise to know that there are idiots who only learn when they get into an accident, its their choice. Your good intentions will not be appreciated and some may become even more angry...who are you to tell them how to drive? So not all good intentions are met with reciprocal good feel.

Just my tots.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Its ok.

You posted with intention to share and you approached the other driver with the intention to remind/alert him of the dangers that he may or may not be aware of.

Its definitely better than just posting here and ask if he's on the forum or a friend or colleague or gf or bf or grandmother or grandfather may know him to pass same message.

Dislikes from ppl without courage is no big deal. I treat these as cowards anyways and they do not need any further attention. Just ignore their comments because they already saying they no seed so why bother. I won't even bother to screenshot to waste bandwidth. Nick also dare not use, what they have to say is really kosong. In character and in words.

Relax. Difference in opinion is not wrong. Also can learn to see from another angle. But if prejudiced already, jialat. Only can see one angle always so with these, dun waste too much time.

Keep safe on the roads. Pls continue driving defensively. May be wise to know that there are idiots who only learn when they get into an accident, its their choice. Your good intentions will not be appreciated and some may become even more angry...who are you to tell them how to drive? So not all good intentions are met with reciprocal good feel.

Just my tots.

Safe ride

Cheers

Actually that time my tone was hush not really that remind per say. Yeah at that time I was a little bit heated up. So yeah I also have shortcomings. In the hindsight should have say more nicely.

• Praise 1

Not an excuse. If you are new to the area, all the more you should drive with care and look at the lane markings carefully.

This one looks like it's one of those confusing parts where motorists can be easily misled into a wrong interpretation of the road signs/signals. I'm not familiar with this road, but from the road signs, it suggests that at the traffic light, ONLY the left lane can turn left. It can also go straight.

Then apart from the left turn, the road in front is likely to split into either a "Slight left" or a "Slight right" option. Means the front route splits into 2 other roads, so the road signs on the road shows the '2nd left-most lane' (while cannot turn left), can either go to the "Slight left" or the "Slight right" option in front. (Those who use Google Maps for navigation should be familiar with 'slight left' and 'slight right')

This type road signs/arrows, is admittedly very rare, so is confusing. And the blur sotong Audi driver likely is not familiar with the road and is v focused on his/her own lane only so didn't see the left lane's road sign/arrow showed that can go straight or turn left.

The Audi must have misinterpreted that the "Slight left" road arrow is instead a "left turn" arrow lah...

(edited)

Between that blue road sign and the junction where cars can turn left, it's roughly 40 50m, with the side road taking up 10m already. Putting the sign further up makes no sense as there is no early advance warning. Your car easily travels the next 40m in 2 seconds.

From a personal point of view, I've never had a problem with that sign, even when it was the first time I drove there. I actually appreciate such signs in other locations because I have advance notice how many turning lanes there are up front.

Not pointing to you directly but this is a general observation of the many forum postings a lot of forumers make. In this forum, many of us make use of every opportunity to slam the government, whether right, wrong or not sure, most times not objectively, but just emotionally.

I believe we are mature enough to make positive objective stands.

If the signage is so early as to be ambiguous then that is not ideal either. Not being that familiar with the road, I don't know what the blue signage is intended for (exactly which two left lanes are meant to be only left turning - I'll take your word for it that it's the CBD turn-off). But that's the point. Signs like this are only useful if you're unfamiliar with the road. If you're already familiar with the road, the signage is superfluous. And if one is unfamiliar with the road, ambiguous signage just makes it worse.

(Just to be absolutely sure that no one gets the wrong end of the stick and flies off the handle, I'm referring to the vertical blue signage around 13 to 14 seconds of the video. *Not* the lane markings on the road, which are very clear cut).

With regard to the last two paragraphs, I expected this sort of response. To avoid politicising this thread, I'll say only two things: one, no one in this thread is "slamming" the government purely gratuitously, merely pointing out something they can (and in my view, should) do better. Two, it's not like the government is especially gentle with their own opponents, they seize every advantage (no matter how unfair) they can get. So I don't accept they deserve to be treated with kid gloves.

And I have no idea what a "positive objective stand" is supposed to be.

Edited by Turboflat4

Turbocharged

If the signage is so early as to be ambiguous then that is not ideal either. Not being that familiar with the road, I don't know what the blue signage is intended for (exactly which two left lanes are meant to be only left turning - I'll take your word for it that it's the CBD turn-off). But that's the point. Signs like this are only useful if you're unfamiliar with the road. If you're already familiar with the road, the signage is superfluous. And if one is unfamiliar with the road, ambiguous signage just makes it worse.

(Just to be absolutely sure that no one gets the wrong end of the stick and flies off the handle, I'm referring to the vertical blue signage around 13 to 14 seconds of the video. *Not* the lane markings on the road, which are very clear cut).

With regard to the last two paragraphs, I expected this sort of response. To avoid politicising this thread, I'll say only two things: one, no one in this thread is "slamming" the government purely gratuitously, merely pointing out something they can (and in my view, should) do better. Two, it's not like the government is especially gentle with their own opponents, they seize every advantage (no matter how unfair) they can get. So I don't accept they deserve to be treated with kid gloves.

And I have no idea what a "positive objective stand" is supposed to be.

i agree to disagreeing with your view on the blue signage. my personal feel is that it is clear on its intention. the fault solely lies with the audi making a left turn on 2nd right most lane.

on the comment on the govt thing, the operational things like putting up road directions etc are decided upon and done by the ministries and stat boards. Though headed by political appointees, the ones doing the everyday jobs of say, making sure the roads are free of obstruction etc are done by civil servants. People who might just live next to us. they may or may not support the current majority govt but i would think they continue to do their job to the best of their ability, similar to what others do in the private sector. therefore, if we do think some things are really wrong/misleading, contacting the relevant ministries/stat boards to offer our view is an extension of what i refer to as "positive objective stand", the stand being what we comment on in this forum. 

• Praise 1

Can't believe you blamed the honda driver.. just merely minding his own business and driving straight.. Don't tell me everytime you go straight in a junction, you will look to your right and see any clown trying to pull a left turn on you?

the audi's bonnet was at the 1 o'clock position relative to the honda. u don't need to physically turn your head to see it when it almost right in front of u or in your peripheral vision.

Audi again.....??

Truck driver ask nicely what is your problem, and response was f**k you.

He is driving truck and you are in his blind spot, by giving indication you think he will be able to see you even though you are in his blind spot? Maybe car driver can use a bit of brain power and try to be civil when talking to people.

i agree to disagreeing with your view on the blue signage. my personal feel is that it is clear on its intention. the fault solely lies with the audi making a left turn on 2nd right most lane.

on the comment on the govt thing, the operational things like putting up road directions etc are decided upon and done by the ministries and stat boards. Though headed by political appointees, the ones doing the everyday jobs of say, making sure the roads are free of obstruction etc are done by civil servants. People who might just live next to us. they may or may not support the current majority govt but i would think they continue to do their job to the best of their ability, similar to what others do in the private sector. therefore, if we do think some things are really wrong/misleading, contacting the relevant ministries/stat boards to offer our view is an extension of what i refer to as "positive objective stand", the stand being what we comment on in this forum.

Ah, you've now clarified what you mean by a "positive objective stand". Maybe just say "write in about it" in future, since the meaning is clearer.

I've contacted the LTA about a road paving situation before. To their credit, they fixed it with alacrity. I've posted about this on this very forum before. I hope you can see I'm not one of those only "slamming" the gahmen. I do give credit where it's due. If I actually took this road regularly, I would report it.

The whole thing about civil servants, etc. is neither here nor there. I'm well acquainted with many senior civil servants (and a few Ministers). There are very able ones and others who leave something to be desired. And even the able ones do err on occasion, being only human. I'm not asking for perfection, only that they fix things when an error is brought to their attention.

Anyway, the Audi driver is a directly involved party. While his accident could definitely have been avoided by a better driver, I wonder if that sign was contributory to his confusion. If so, I hope he does raise it and the authorities do fix it.

Truck driver ask nicely what is your problem, and response was f**k you.

He is driving truck and you are in his blind spot, by giving indication you think he will be able to see you even though you are in his blind spot? Maybe car driver can use a bit of brain power and try to be civil when talking to people.

Yes, "what's your problem?!" is definitely a very nice way of asking.

:D

Ah, you've now clarified what you mean by a "positive objective stand". Maybe just say "write in about it" in future, since the meaning is clearer.

I've contacted the LTA about a road paving situation before. To their credit, they fixed it with alacrity. I've posted about this on this very forum before. I hope you can see I'm not one of those only "slamming" the gahmen. I do give credit where it's due. If I actually took this road regularly, I would report it.

The whole thing about civil servants, etc. is neither here nor there. I'm well acquainted with many senior civil servants (and a few Ministers). There are very able ones and others who leave something to be desired. And even the able ones do err on occasion, being only human. I'm not asking for perfection, only that they fix things when an error is brought to their attention.

Anyway, the Audi driver is a directly involved party. While his accident could definitely have been avoided by a better driver, I wonder if that sign was contributory to his confusion. If so, I hope he does raise it and the authorities do fix it.

Yes, "what's your problem?!" is definitely a very nice way of asking.

If someone asks me what's my problem, I'd answer as

"What is an odd number that becomes even when you take away one letter?

• Praise 3

(edited)

For one letter, the answer is just boring old seven.

But if you said two letters then the ancient romans would answer XI, just like the current grand pooh of prc.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

Seven

• Praise 2

I just came back to SGP after a self drive trip in Japan. When I came back to drive on SGP roads, on the first day, to my surprise, the whole SGP is filled with F1 drivers. No kidding, the contrast is stark, we all, including me suddenly look like F1 drivers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3