Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

tech is pretty advanced now, esp camera tech.

why don't car manufacturers install wide angle cameras into both side mirrors, with the moving image beamed right back to a screen just in front of the driver. i think there is an audi model which replaced side mirrors with cams whereas my idea would be for a cam to complement the existing mirrors.

solves the problem of those drivers who don't bother to check blind spot by turning their heads.

but of course will increase cost of cars.

why don't car manufacturers install wide angle cameras into both side mirrors, with the moving image beamed right back to a screen just in front of the driver. i think there is an audi model which replaced side mirrors with cams whereas my idea would be for a cam to complement the existing mirrors.

solves the problem of those drivers who don't bother to check blind spot by turning their heads.

Hahaha if system fails or malfunction then jialuc liao.

Good to adopt good safety practices and mindset.

Technology is good to have but not foolproof.

Next time cars can kanna hacked and self drive away with so many onboard cam aiding the hackers.

↡ Advertisement

Are both of us born in the yr of the Tiger?

Anyway I often have to shift my head in the car, especially making a right turn as the A pillar gives quite a big blindspot.

Yes bro.. both of us r kia see tiger year driver n live/drive by the motto "Turn head save our lives" .. haha.

they can't even be bothered to use their necks, do you think they will use the screen?

• Praise 1

Yes bro.. both of us r kia see tiger year driver n live/drive by the motto "Turn head save our lives" .. haha.

This is not kiasee lah. What for get into accident waste time and money

Sometimes it's better to just move on with life than try so hard to proof your point. So what if he brake 1 second before? Doubt it's enough to avoid the situation competely

the whole idea of a forum is to exchange views. he asked a question and i replied. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hahaha if system fails or malfunction then jialuc liao.

Good to adopt good safety practices and mindset.

Technology is good to have but not foolproof.

Next time cars can kanna hacked and self drive away with so many onboard cam aiding the hackers.

true on the malfunction part. that's why i wrote the mirrors to still remain, so that if tech fails, there is a back up.  [nod]

Turbocharged
(edited)

I mentioned these a few times on MCF. With advancement in technology, it might make drivers more reliance on sensors, cameras, AI, etc. and indirectly making them more lazy to perform the basic task such as checking for blind spots, keeping high level of alertness when maneuvering, maintaining safety distance, etc.

While use of advanced technology might be a good approach for accident prevention, it SHALL NOT replace a driver's responsibility, NEVER.

In this aspect, it is good to go back to the basic. Try driving a car without say reverse sensors / camera, ABS, power steering, etc. once awhile if available.

of course it should not replace any responsibility. it is an add-on, not a replacement. 

turning your head to check blindspot is indeed fast, maybe 1 sec? but the camera image projected into a screen in front of driver is on all the time, meaning driver knows if there is say a motorbike in their blindspot for maybe say the last 20 sec. and without the need to turn the head, it adds on to overall safety aspect. 

but of course humans are a lazy bunch. once they get used to advanced tech and assuming it malfunctions one day, they might not go back to the habit of turning their heads to check blind spots.

add on: i learnt my driving on a no-power steering merz 3-tonner doing reverse parking and sometimes 3-point turns. i thank the engineers who came up with power steering and lighter clutches.  [thumbsup]

Edited by Kxbc

Too close for comfort.

These heavy vehicles and LGVs always tailgate each other so close that sometimes it's so hard to merge into highway and filter to exit... Worse still they won't give way one......

• Praise 3

Won't be surprise it's a 50/50 case as both cars were changing lanes at the same time.

Kuku golf hit the rear half of the other car in another lane, likely to get all the blame.

Tech is making drivers lazy. Taken to the extreme, with autopilot, the driver can just sleep while the car is moving. AMDKs already doing this in their Teslas.

↡ Advertisement