You Need 1.4k per old person to meet basic living standard

therock

Rich or poor is no fault of the person. It is predestined

You reap what you sow. In previous lives you may have good karma, in this life you are born into a rich family. How you make of this life will lay down the fruits for your next life.

Actually not so "well-to-do", just average wage earners in an apartment, not landed house. But only my father had a wage-paying job. Mum was housewife and only took part-time jobs after father retired. Both saved alot and were rather frugal. I born in mid-60s.

To save money diligently and patiently, I learned from parents.

But investing advice, I learned from my primary school friend who started as insurance agent and now is financial adviser and trader:

1. Daily living costs can be low, but lifestyle costs can be very high. Know which items you covet are actually liabilities.

2. Don't be someone who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

3. If born poor, not your fault. If you grow old and die poor, is totally your fault.

↡ Advertisement

Your work area must be very atas to charge so high for parking ....... -_-

But I have different thoughts on driving. If need to , just drive since ur kid still so young .

Just dont buy coupe ...

Btw , u see T2 in WL ? now he work close to there. :D

He must be in ATAS area like MBFC lah.

$500 per month leh....

I was at Lau Pa Sat last time, parking also siong. About $450pm

Now i work at Sungei Kadut.

One of the timber mills.

Free parking but i dont drive to work.

He must be in ATAS area like MBFC lah.

$500 per month leh....

I was at Lau Pa Sat last time, parking also siong. About $450pm

Now i work at Sungei Kadut.

One of the timber mills.

Free parking but i dont drive to work.

If work down town , maybe can park somewhere nearby , then take mrt . Parking cost in CBD is crazy. 

I thought U work in Woodland ........

Anyway , working in Sungei Kadut best dont drive car .......... you have M113 to drive u around is ok.  :D

• Praise 4

Supersonic
(edited)

If work down town , maybe can park somewhere nearby , then take mrt . Parking cost in CBD is crazy.

Anyway , working in Sungei Kadut best dont drive car .......... you have M113 to drive u around is ok. :D

If office is in town why bother to drive? My suntec parking was fully paid by my company, subsequently they took away my parking benefit, I resort to park and ride, then lta took away park and ride, I took train fully. Now I have moved house and moved office, will take train when I do not have to send my wife to office .

And to meet my future retirement funding, I resort to driving COE car.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

If office is in town why bother to drive? My suntec parking was fully paid by my company, subsequently they took away my parking benefit, I resort to park and ride, then lta took away park and ride, I took train fully. Now I have moved house and moved office, will take train when I do not have to send my wife to office .

his wife need to rush for work in the morning and son still too young . So having own vehicle helps . 

U cannot think everyone is like our age .....  :D

When I retire , I will go public .....  [laugh]  and very likely I will get lost in the MRT ....... 

• Praise 3

Supersonic

his wife need to rush for work in the morning and son still too young . So having own vehicle helps .

U cannot think everyone is like our age ..... :D

When I retire , I will go public ..... [laugh] and very likely I will get lost in the MRT .......

Wah I see I see, it is like so distance. I am already so old.

Anyway , working in Sungei Kadut best dont drive car .......... you have M113 to drive u around is ok. :D

Woodlands no more already.

Now sungei kadut.

I didnt say i dont take car, i only say i dont drive and i dont park.

Wife drive and drop off.

Muayhahahaha....

Better not laugh too loud, i heard next few weeks cost cutting again.

KNN, work in timber mill also cost cut. Damn it.

Hello COE Bentley not counted hor.

• Praise 1

Now sungei kadut.

Wife drive and drop off.

Muayhahahaha....

singer kadut?

soh timber?

Supersonic

Now sungei kadut.

Wife drive and drop off.

Muayhahahaha....

Haha , just to set the right perspective, I cannot even afford the road tax of a Bentley.

Just a rough guide to my average mthly expenditure:

1. Transport: 150 *2pax = 300

2. Food + groceries: 10*2.5 pax*30 days= 750

3. Utilities: 110

4. Telecommication: 25 (mobile)*1 pax (other one company pays) + 30 (internet) = 55

5. Childcare (aft subsidy): abt 600

6. Misc(clothes, household appliance replacement, etc) : 200

Oops, okay la. slightly exceeded as I forgot to account for childcare in my initial estimate. Very expensive these days.

Also doesn't include housing which is under CPF (is that even my money?)

Income tax amortized

Insurance

Property tax.

Parents allowance. Treat parents birthdays?

Conservacy fees

Weddings? Baby showers? Birthdays?

Medicated products? Example. Hair. Face. Body. Bones. Muscles ...

Colleagues farewells. Contributions? Etc

Food + groceries 750 per month is extremely conservative. Considering that diapers. Milk powder. Organic food. Fish etc are expensive.

I personally find your 1400 impossible.

• Praise 1

Rich or poor is no fault of the person. It is predestined

You reap what you sow. In previous lives you may have good karma, in this life you are born into a rich family. How you make of this life will lay down the fruits for your next life.

No, I disagree. Sorry. Saying events in one's life is "predestined" and then saying "You reap what you sow" is contradicting.

If you can think, have two hand two legs working, and can speak, there is no excuse to stay poor and insist it is "destiny". The hardest thing to do is stop making excuses and rationalising not taking action to correct mistakes.

Taking action to influence future outcome is what you mean by "reaping what you sow".

Thatâs a very pragmatic viewpoint..

Better to start them early on and to prepare for life ahead as school life is different from working life. N thatâs where we fail badly.. in the US once u 18 u get kick out of the house n start to learn the harsh reality of making a living. Probably for us itâs kick out n going to army but where lies the ability to jumpstart on being independent?

Beginning of this year, my daughter after her O, kick her to UK for foundation. It wasn’t a simple decision but I feel is good for her. Heart pain money pain and pocket pain. More than 3 months liao, I have seen rapid improvement from her in managing her life responsibilities.

One of the frightening costs is medical. Inflation will also see your saving strank. Of course, if we are just happy to pass the balance days the same way and hoping we need not have to spend anything extra....

There is nothing frightening if one plans early and keeps current with medical insurance choices. Educate oneself about accident, hospitalisation & surgery/treatment insurance. Why keep saying it is bad luck to talk about such things?

I think if plan and prepare well, one can spot opportunities and become "lucky".

Turbocharged

There is nothing frightening if one plans early and keeps current with medical insurance choices. Educate oneself about accident, hospitalisation & surgery/treatment insurance. Why keep saying it is bad luck to talk about such things?

I think if plan and prepare well, one can spot opportunities and become "lucky".

i like your positive thinking. Hope all people has the financial mean to plan well. Whatever, keeping cost low and focusing on subsidy for healthcare will be important.

(edited)

Planning is definitely a must for retirement. Those have wife not working and children will be tougher. If got old parent ... the medicial fee will make u sleepless every nite.

planning itself cant do wonders.

For most here ,not super rich but i would say earning quite well , they too faced difficulty and pressure from this topic. Simply too many external factors e.g. Cost of living can just doubled in 10yrs ... so how much is enough to retire. Those with little saving lagi worst ...

Worst not bec they dont save . Bec cost n inflation is running much faster .

If u have alot of money to roll ... no worry . Buy n sell properties will earn alot . But how may got such money . I also wonder how many are stretching their finances to get a condo . Of course some wan to hao lian ... some wan to earn quick bucks ... some for assets. Many times , the parent sold their house and combined money for the condo ... is it a good choice ? I dont know .

My parent left me nothing except my education bills .

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 6

(edited)

Damn jialat.

Just now went to a HDB mall and passed by Old ChangKee.

So i thought i’d buy a curry puff or two for dinner since very long havent eaten Old changKee.

Moreover i only had dinner budget of $2.80

Ordered 2 curry puffs confidently thinking that they can at most be $1.20 or $1.30 each

Kena shocked when told each one was $1.50!

Couldnt even afford two curry puffs for dinner.

Damn jialat.

Is it just me or is it good luck Singaporeans?

Sigh......

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

Damn jialat.

Just now went to a HDB mall and passed by Old ChangKee.

So i thought iâd buy a curry puff or two for dinner since very long havent eaten Old changKee.

Moreover i only had dinner budget of $2.80

Ordered 2 curry puffs confidently thinking that they can at most be $1.20 or $1.30 each

Kena shocked when told each one was $1.50!

Couldnt even afford two curry puffs for dinner.

Damn jialat.

Is it just me or is it good luck Singaporeans?

Sigh......ð¢

Try Maggie noodles ..... magic in 3 mins
↡ Advertisement