You Need 1.4k per old person to meet basic living standard

therock

Your NRIC number doesn't exist.

Wah lau eh. Asst manager ah....

Yeah Asst Manager leh.

Big fu(k right?

Dont mess with me since you know i am so bigtime.

Asst manager ok!

↡ Advertisement

Bringing it back on track

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/worries-over-retirement-income

Working hard all your life does not mean you will have enough saved to enjoy your golden years - a distressing outcome highlighted in a new survey.

It found that around 60 per cent of retirees say they have a monthly income of at least $1,379, an amount experts recently recommended as necessary for a basic standard of living.

But among the remaining 41 per cent, the online poll noted that 28 per cent of the group say they fall short by at least half the recommended amount.

And 52 per cent of the group with less than $1,379 say they expect help from their children while 55 per cent are looking to government assistance or charities.

The online poll was commissioned by The Sunday Times and carried out last week by consumer research firm Milieu Insight.

It surveyed two groups - one comprising 553 residents over 45 (18 per cent are retirees); and the other, 1,407 residents between 25 and 40.

st_20190602_elretire_r1_4883113.jpg

The poll is representative of the national demographics for the two age groups.

Among the retirees, 62 per cent say $1,379 is either "more than enough" or "just nice", while 38 per cent feel the amount is inadequate.

The poll found that 58 per cent of respondents over 45 who are not retirees say the amount is insufficient, while 51 per cent say they are not confident they would have $1,379 a month to live on by the time they retire.

Retirees have various sources of income: 69 per cent cite a mix of savings and other assets; 49 per cent have contributions from children or relatives; 38 per cent have Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings; and 13 per cent receive government assistance or donations.

Interestingly, folk over 45 who are still working feel they need to depend more on savings and other assets or CPF (both are cited by 78 per cent), while only 29 per cent say they would depend on children or relatives, and 23 per cent mention government assistance or donations.

The online poll follows the household budget study led by Assistant Professor Ng Kok Hoe from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy which found that a single person in Singapore aged 65 and above would need at least $1,379 a month to sustain a basic standard of living.

FINANCIAL PRESSURE

The help children give their parents was also reflected in the poll. It noted that 59 per cent of respondents aged 25 to 40 say they and their siblings can contribute up to a combined $600 to each of their parents, 31 per cent can give a combined amount of between $601 and $1,200 to each parent, while 10 per cent can give more than $1,200.

A notable 60 per cent of the younger age group are worried they would not have enough for themselves if they continue to support their parents in the future, given job instability, illness and having to support children of their own. Such worries are all too real for older people who are still working.

Researcher Magdalen Yeo, 52, hopes to retire at 55 but as she needs to support her two teenage sons through university as well as her parents, she thinks she will need to work until at least 65.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Write so much base on a measly $1.4k

If really have only $1.4k per month for retirement, you’re truly fu(ked already.

Less than $50 a day? *facepalm*

Decent basic living standard for retiree today should be at lesst $3k per person. $100 a day. Simple.

Dont have? Good luck, you will be begging not to retire.

A startling 41% dont have even $1.4k pm.

Singaporeans are really Sad cases.

Or maybe its becos they didnt reveal that they have millions in assets but dont want to sell?

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

I think singaporeans need to stop fixating on property as a means to wealth. For majority of salaried workers, just because live in a property all your life does not mean they automatically become genius in property investing and flipping.

They think grow up in HDB and suddenly can be wealthy landlord and property tycoon just by investing in any private property? Too much building castles in the air.

Some older generation may see the few million dollar HDB as the proof. But I think that is forgetting it was not those owners' talent or skills which made those HDB grow to cost a million dollars in the market.

As workers, we can only save from our monthly salary. One step at a time every month. The only way to increase the salary is to gain skills which are valuable to the industry. Be the one willing to put in extra hardwork and effort to gain skills which others don't have or the majority are only average in.

I always observe that very few working adults can be critical about their own skillsets. Most overestimate their abilities and their value to the company they are working for.

Ok ... telll me which company will hire a worker because he got a new skill that he got certified in with zero experience.

Will someone who just pass his IT security certification suddenly becomes attractive to all organisations that requires IT securities personnel?

How about data analytics n R language or python? Will the industry take a chance with the newbie that is 45 years old?

There are stilll strong preference for one group of people over another and what you regurgitate is true.. skills training is important and has real tangible benefits.. just that it’s only applies 30 years ago . Not now.

Now is who you know that’s gets you into the door. The rest is your abilities to deliver.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

Write so much base on a measly $1.4k

If really have only $1.4k per month for retirement, youâre truly fu(ked already.

Less than $50 a day? *facepalm*

Decent basic living standard for retiree today should be at lesst $3k per person. $100 a day. Simple.

Dont have? Good luck, you will be begging not to retire.

A startling 41% dont have even $1.4k pm.

Singaporeans are really Sad cases.

Or maybe its becos they didnt reveal that they have millions in assets but dont want to sell?

The 41 % probably either

A . Thinks that it’s a target not easy to achieve n have no interest in achieving

Or

B . Have no ability to just park a lump sum and f money there to settle it.

If today there was nothing to prevent us from transferring 300k to the CpF to earn that 4% without taxes , I am sure year end bonus everyone park it there Liao.

Ok ... telll me which company will hire a worker because he got a new skill that he got certified in with zero experience.

Will someone who just pass his IT security certification suddenly becomes attractive to all organisations that requires IT securities personnel?

How about data analytics n R language or python? Will the industry take a chance with the newbie that is 45 years old?

There are stilll strong preference for one group of people over another and what you regurgitate is true.. skills training is important and has real tangible benefits.. just that it’s only applies 30 years ago . Not now.

Now is who you know that’s gets you into the door. The rest is your abilities to deliver.

ignore the dumbfark lah...nobody wants his opinion and seeing he was retrenched...he truly deserved it

this kind of attitude and character

i have sent him to the north pole....hes not worthy of posting as its a broken record and nothing new

i have never bitched about anything and thats why he cannot apply his farkedup philosophy on me.....and im successful where I am with my creds, including education....nbz...

trying to teach grandpa how to suck eggs....maybe for skool chewren like @angcheek can la

only 1 point i put here...12months expenses is not enuf.

in this climate at least 60 mths is needed, and that should tide one over

also, have a contingency plan and build a backup career.  Make your career or livelihood in what your passion is....that dumbfark can try giving motivational speeches BUT confirm NO SIGNUP hahahaha...with the kind of 'limpeh ka le kong' attitude he possesses.

• Praise 7

Let me start the ball rolling with the new and improved MCF based on the input by the most enlightened older worker (retrenched) in Singapore (some say even batam and jb too)

Eh @Angcheek

A/S/L? 

post-24957-0-44490300-1559608525.jpg

:D

ignore the dumbfark lah...nobody wants his opinion and seeing he was retrenched...he truly deserved it

i have sent him to the north pole....hes not worthy of posting as its a broken record and nothing new

i have never bitched about anything and thats why he cannot apply his farkedup philosophy on me.....and im successful where I am with my creds, including education....nbz...

trying to teach grandpa how to suck eggs....maybe for skool chewren like @angcheek can la

also, have a contingency plan and build a backup career.  Make your career or livelihood in what your passion is....that dumbfark can try giving motivational speeches BUT confirm NO SIGNUP hahahaha...with the kind of 'limpeh ka le kong' attitude he possesses.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

There are stilll strong preference for one group of people over another and what you regurgitate is true.. skills training is important and has real tangible benefits.. just that itâs only applies 30 years ago . Not now.

Now is who you know thatâs gets you into the door. The rest is your abilities to deliver.

Yup most employee want :

(1) got quali

(2) got experience

(3) cheap

Age and citizenship who the fug cares.

also, have a contingency plan and build a backup career. Make your career or livelihood in what your passion is....that dumbfark can try giving motivational speeches BUT confirm NO SIGNUP hahahaha...with the kind of 'limpeh ka le kong' attitude he possesses.

My passion is to wash car topless with non males.. must start one soon
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

My passion is to wash car topless with non males.. must start one soon

Hmm... non males...

Turbocharged

Thanks for being upfront.

After my retrenchment late last year I have been looking to minimise some expenses. My old friend who is financial adviser mentioned that new expenses will crop up as one grows older.

Mostly will be in areas of personal comfort. eg spend more time at home so aircon need to clean and service more often. Even have to budget for new upgrade every 8-10 years as the outdoor unit compressor ages and will breakdown.

I have been using a weekly housekeeper for cleaning and dusting for years already. Have to prepare to pay more for this service to include maybe cooking dinner 3 times a week once I cross 60.

Then there are lifestyle costs like keeping a dog. Pet food and vet visits, even if adopt from animal shelter.

Just checking .. are you related to cscbb, Dafttrue? U quite similar leh.. brothers huh?
  • Praise 2

Just checking .. are you related to cscbb, Dafttrue? U quite similar leh.. brothers huh?

u asking for daily bread ah......and sermon :grin:  [angel]

One cannot live by bread alone..

eh wrong

'Matthew 4:4: But he answered and said, it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone..'

pls quote properly.... :XD:  :XD: 

Hypersonic

i always tot U is watchman   :D in MCF here 

Yeah Asst Manager leh.
Big fu(k right?
Asst manager ok!

Supersonic

Yeah Asst Manager leh.

Big fu(k right?

Asst manager ok!

Asst mgr is indeed big fuk.

But better make sure your title is indeed asst manager. some people have their title as asst to the mgr and also present themselves as asst mgr.

I say first.... I prefer to watch women....  :D

i always tot U is watchman   :D in MCF here 

↡ Advertisement