You Need 1.4k per old person to meet basic living standard

therock

Twincharged

Damn jialat.

Just now went to a HDB mall and passed by Old ChangKee.

So i thought i’d buy a curry puff or two for dinner since very long havent eaten Old changKee.

Moreover i only had dinner budget of $2.80

Ordered 2 curry puffs confidently thinking that they can at most be $1.20 or $1.30 each

Kena shocked when told each one was $1.50!

Couldnt even afford two curry puffs for dinner.

Damn jialat.

Is it just me or is it good luck Singaporeans?

Sigh......

i like your positive thinking. Hope all people has the financial mean to plan well. ...

Learning to plan and prepare personal savings and budgeting no need to have financial means or high salary lah. Just need patience and mindset of thinking hard before buying expensive stuff. ie. no impulsive spending on things that cannot grow in future value.

Must save 30% of take home salary until have 12 months worth of monthly expenses. Then can think about funding investment warchest. Both takes much time and patience to build up.

• Praise 1

planning itself cant do wonders.

For most here ,not super rich but i would say earning quite well , they too faced difficulty and pressure from this topic. Simply too many external factors e.g. Cost of living can just doubled in 10yrs ... 

I wonder how many are willing to admit that they never even bother to try starting and making an effort to keep at it until targets are met?

The fact that most are "earning quite well" already means that they have more than they need for daily living. It is the Lifestyle Costs which are difficult to subdue. But Lifestyle Costs are one's personal choice. If don't spend, won't die. 

But ego, face, pride always biting at one to show off how much one can pay and "afford it".

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Damn jialat.

Just now went to a HDB mall and passed by Old ChangKee.

So i thought i’d buy a curry puff or two for dinner since very long havent eaten Old changKee.

Moreover i only had dinner budget of $2.80

Ordered 2 curry puffs confidently thinking that they can at most be $1.20 or $1.30 each

Damn jialat.

Sigh......

Damn jialat.

I choose to look at it another way:

The difference is only 20 cents and it is not something that is eaten daily. If the puff is cooked to relatively high standard and prepared with good ingredients, and is hygienically served and packed, nothing to complain about.

The increase in each unit adds up to allow the workers to be paid a bit better, cooks to be trained better, shop to be cleaned better, ingredients to be better. All borne out in the product. If not up to your standard, never buy ever again. Your net loss is only extra 40 cents for the 2 puffs.

Think about this working principle: "Don't be someone who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

ps you could also go vegetarian and just eat one of your cubans for a meal.

• Dislike 1

I choose to look at it another way:

The difference is only 20 cents and it is not something that is eaten daily. If the puff is cooked to relatively high standard and prepared with good ingredients, and is hygienically served and packed, nothing to complain about.

The increase in each unit adds up to allow the workers to be paid a bit better, cooks to be trained better, shop to be cleaned better, ingredients to be better. All borne out in the product. If not up to your standard, never buy ever again. Your net loss is only extra 40 cents for the 2 puffs.

Think about this working principle: "Don't be someone who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

ps you could also go vegetarian and just eat one of your cubans for a meal.

I would smoke one of my cubans to replace a meal, yes.

But eating it is a totally different thing.

I would gladly offer you my most expensive cuban if you dare to just take a bite and swallow.

By the way, you can come back using various nicks, but every word you write is the same.

We know who you are lah.

• Praise 2

Planning is definitely a must for retirement. Those have wife not working and children will be tougher. If got old parent ... the medicial fee will make u sleepless every nite.

planning itself cant do wonders.

For most here ,not super rich but i would say earning quite well , they too faced difficulty and pressure from this topic. Simply too many external factors e.g. Cost of living can just doubled in 10yrs ... so how much is enough to retire. Those with little saving lagi worst ...

Worst not bec they dont save . Bec cost n inflation is running much faster .

If u have alot of money to roll ... no worry . Buy n sell properties will earn alot . But how may got such money . I also wonder how many are stretching their finances to get a condo . Of course some wan to hao lian ... some wan to earn quick bucks ... some for assets. Many times , the parent sold their house and combined money for the condo ... is it a good choice ? I dont know .

My parent left me nothing except my education bills . ð

me...me...

wife not working. a mum. a boy.

single income.

By the way, you can come back using various nicks, but every word you write is the same.

We know who you are lah.

Over and out.

I am honestly sharing my experience in daily living and lifestyle budgeting and spending going through a retrenchment and seeing through the passing of my parents. I never insult anybody. If anyone feels loss of face, slighted or triggered by my posts, I can only ask for a little more maturity and critical thinking.

How are you sharing useful info and being forthright and honest in your posts? What's the same is the excuses and blame game of several of the old-bird forumers here.

All here are working, some have family and running a household. Most are older so shouldn't we learn to treat others as we want to be treated ourselves? Quarrel less? Stop being triggered when others point out fallacies in your worldview and mindset?

Why is it that social media brings out the worst in behaviour among older working adults who should be exercising reasoning and restraint?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I am honestly sharing my experience in daily living and lifestyle budgeting and spending going through a retrenchment and seeing through the passing of my parents. I never insult anybody. If anyone feels loss of face, slighted or triggered by my posts, I can only ask for a little more maturity and critical thinking.

How are you sharing useful info and being forthright and honest in your posts? What's the same is the excuses and blame game of several of the old-bird forumers here.

All here are working, some have family and running a household. Most are older so shouldn't we learn to treat others as we want to be treated ourselves? Quarrel less? Stop being triggered when others point out fallacies in your worldview and mindset?

Why is it that social media brings out the worst in behaviour among older working adults who should be exercising reasoning and restraint?

It is good that you share your own experience that hopefully benefit others.

But if one realises that his posts are attracting more negative response than normal , especially from more than a couple of sources , than he may want to review the way he post his content why so.

In my personal view based on what I gathered from most of your posts which I could be wrong , you are assuming and labeling people being negative, play blame game, refused to learn , inadequate financial saving plan etc, who are we to conclude such behaviour by reading just one or two posts from a person when do not even know them enough ?

Everyone is here to have fun, learn and share their experience , view point, one needs to be objective than subjective in crafting his posts.

• Praise 6

I would smoke one of my cubans to replace a meal, yes.

But eating it is a totally different thing.

I would gladly offer you my most expensive cuban if you dare to just take a bite and swallow.

We know who you are lah.

ð¤£

Over and out.

Who is he? Just name him and stop beating around the bush

But if one realises that his posts are attracting more negative response than normal , especially from more than a couple of sources , than he may want to review the way he post his content why so.

I would also ask for a little awareness about those who make those negative responses.

It is the same forumers who keep expressing the same mindsets and worldview. No matter what the issue.

Just as long as someone express a different viewpoint from them, or corrects them when they are factually wrong, they try to silence that person.

Why take an attitude of "I am always right. Others don't know anything."?

you are assuming and labeling people being negative, play blame game, refused to learn , inadequate financial saving plan etc, who are we to conclude such behaviour by reading just one or two posts from a person when do not even know them enough ?

If you read my posts, I am speaking from my own experience. And why should anyone feel offended or triggered to read about my own experience?

Just because you feel a certain way about an issue, it does not mean others must also feel the same way. And just because you feel something is difficult to do or cannot be done, does not mean that others cannot get it done.

And since you touch on not knowing about the folks who exhibit such mindsets and attitudes, I would also ask you how much you know about their backgrounds too? Because at certain age and with certain experience in work and life, should one even be having such negative and pessimistic mindset and worldview?

And worse, hold on to that pessimistic and negative mindset and worldview despite evidence otherwise?

Everyone is here to have fun, learn and share their experience , view point, one needs to be objective than subjective in crafting his posts.

Wouldn't you say that those who are expressing their own viewpoints are being very subjective in their posts and their rejection of my viewpoints?

So why have double standards for your own "buddies" and old-boys in this forum? The old-boys can express and maintain unverified and negative viewpoints regardless, and all newbies must share their viewpoint (or be bullied/threatened/harassed into silence)?

Take one step back and ask yourself about the background of the regular forumers here. How much is honest and sincere, or have they avoided revealing anything? Why are they shy to reveal more about their experience and background, perhaps work experience and even age?

As a first step, perhaps you can share more about just your work experience and age?

↡ Advertisement