New Funan IT Mall

Thaiyotakamli

Turbocharged

Its just another generic mall now. With raffles city and capitol already so close to the station, there's not much value proposition to walk that extra few steps to funan.

Was at funan mall over weekend to scout out the place. In the past, i use to visit funan from time to time to scout out the latest IT gadgets and stuffs.

The people who are managing Funan now has manage to transform it from Funan IT Mall to Funan Food Mall. What use to be level after level of different IT shop has basically been reduce to a single level of IT shops with levels after levels of food outlets sprinkle with a bit of clothings, bedsheet...etc outlets

To sum it up, if i need to look for IT stuffs. I think that i would be better off at sim lim square. Food wise, maybe i will consider funan. But then again the food there dun look so fantastic. Just ur usual normal restaurant hunts. Nothing to shout about. Over time, Funan will just be another forgotten mall like majority of the rest of the mall out there. The identity of funan as a IT place aside from sim lim square is no more. [:p] 

It's now Food-nan

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Went there last week afternoon. Traffic was crazy because of ndp rehearsal.

There are a lot more eatery than IT shops. Bicycle lanes are a joke. It's so narrow I think it's around 0.5meters wide. It has a plant farm, outdoor soccer court with netting, cinema(gv), roof top garden....etc. Quite boring. Will not go any time soon.

Edited by Watwheels

Supersonic

Was at funan mall over weekend to scout out the place. In the past, i use to visit funan from time to time to scout out the latest IT gadgets and stuffs.

The people who are managing Funan now has manage to transform it from Funan IT Mall to Funan Food Mall. What use to be level after level of different IT shop has basically been reduce to a single level of IT shops with levels after levels of food outlets sprinkle with a bit of clothings, bedsheet...etc outlets

To sum it up, if i need to look for IT stuffs. I think that i would be better off at sim lim square. Food wise, maybe i will consider funan. But then again the food there dun look so fantastic. Just ur usual normal restaurant hunts. Nothing to shout about. Over time, Funan will just be another forgotten mall like majority of the rest of the mall out there. The identity of funan as a IT place aside from sim lim square is no more. [:p] 

That was in the past.

These days people will just go down to funan to check out the models, touch here touch there a bit and then get some food. While getting food, can do price comparison on the internet and place order if the price difference is significant.

So how to have an entire mall of showroom space?

That was in the past.

These days people will just go down to funan to check out the models, touch here touch there a bit and then get some food. While getting food, can do price comparison on the internet and place order if the price difference is significant.

agree, if the whole mall still selling IT stuff, they will be dead before opening  [laugh]  [laugh]

That was in the past.

locally what are the online retailers to buy IT gear from?

Other than challenger, amazon sg/USA and the occasional individual listings on lazada/qoo10.

The people who are managing Funan now has manage to transform it from Funan IT Mall to Funan Food Mall. What use to be level after level of different IT shop has basically been reduce to a single level of IT shops with levels after levels of food outlets sprinkle with a bit of clothings, bedsheet...etc outlets

Now computers and parts are sold on line so sellers can enjoy cheaper rental in industrial parks

Even computer assembly is advertised in Carousell

Really no need to maintain a physical shop

Basically computer physical retail harder to make money due to rental

Other than challenger, amazon sg/USA and the occasional individual listings on lazada/qoo10.

Haha these days I see who don’t want old laptop PC

Then I put in ssd and install win10

Then can work already

(edited)

Now computers and parts are sold on line so sellers can enjoy cheaper rental in industrial parks

Even computer assembly is advertised in Carousell

Really no need to maintain a physical shop

Basically computer physical retail harder to make money due to rental

Haha these days I see who don’t want old laptop PC

Then I put in ssd and install win10

Then can work already

Actually give me, i also don't want.

I have one laptop and it's already hardly used. My wife has her own one.

The kids use my laptop when they want to play those educational games or stardew valley with my wife.

Edited by Lala81

Actually give me, i also don't want.

I have one laptop and it's already hardly used. My wife has her own one.

The kids use my laptop when they want to play those educational games or stardew valley with my wife.

Haha that time my boss doesn’t want his laptop

So he pass to me

Then I put in ssd and install win 10

Then give to children to bring to school whenever they need

Haha that time my boss doesn’t want his laptop

So he pass to me

Then I put in ssd and install win 10

Then give to children to bring to school whenever they need

haha yeah. my kids not that age yet  [:p]

Supersonic
(edited)

What do you mean by individual listings?

Many of the SLS retailers are already Lazada/qoo10. Between the 2, I rather buy from Lazada - their return policy and customer service is much better than qoo10 (non-existent!)

If you are looking for fully built desktop or laptop, can get it direct from those PC assemblers like Dell, HP, etc. They should have an online store too.

Edited by Kusje

having dinner here, the mall actually not like the usual mall, no big fashion retail chain except for Best denkiand courts, fashion and accessories are for individual brand, however there are still a few ah beng IT shops [laugh].

The layout also quite unique but you will find it quite familiar as in bangkok or msia. the mall combine work and play, offices, gym, rock climbing wall where many people come here after work, but the retail is still like before, quite dead after 7pm.

many open space, open concepts cafe for the office people to meet, discuss and work.

post-1109-0-48709800-1563279499_thumb.jpg

post-1109-0-17742900-1563279516_thumb.jpg

post-1109-0-98337000-1563279532_thumb.jpg

post-1109-0-94096800-1563279579_thumb.jpg

• Praise 3

Yes, glad me not alone. First impression from photos is so messy. Patterns on carpet, neon lighting, plants on steps, haphazard escalators and floor levels. All cramped together.

Maybe its Jman888 photography skills.

• Praise 1

Yes, glad me not alone. First impression from photos is so messy. Patterns on carpet, neon lighting, plants on steps, haphazard escalators and floor levels. All cramped together.

Maybe its Jman888 photography skills.ðð Thanks for sharing your photos.

Safe ride

Cheers

a bit overwhelming for the eyes partly because it has the dark color theme but just walk around the mall, its layout is pretty same as before, except for the cross bridges with open retail space and 'glass room unit'.

a few showrooms like Brompton, DJI, Bose, Atlas, etc that you dun see in other malls. Obviously many restaurants, cafes that help to bring crowd in the evening.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

a bit overwhelming for the eyes partly because it has the dark color theme but just walk around the mall, its layout is pretty same as before, except for the cross bridges with open retail space and 'glass room unit'.

a few showrooms like Brompton, DJI, Bose, Atlas, etc that you dun see in other malls. Obviously many restaurants, cafes that help to bring crowd in the evening.

Any nice restaurants and cafe there ah?