Living with Dementia - old, lonely, and forgotten

therock

Turbocharged

Erm not really.

Dementia is the decline in mental cognition. (largely irreversible), eventually unable to perform activities of daily living without assistsance or aid.

There are 2 major causes of dementia

- Vascular like u mentioned

- alzheimers disease

The ratio is about 50-50 or so.

How about Parkinson's and how is it different from Alzheimer's?
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Dementia is akin to a series of mini strokes, if it's the vascular type..

But it's been far more common in the West, maybe because they actively look for it..

But staying healthy also helps...

So dementia could be the cause from stroke? Now i very scare of these two commonly illness, stroke and dementia. As if like waiting when it will happen to me?

Hypersonic

How about Parkinson's and how is it different from Alzheimer's?

Parkinsons disease can also get dementia at the advanced stages. But at the initial stages of the illness, its purely a movement disorder. So other than the 2 big causes I mentioned, Parkinson's and other illnesses contribute to dementia as well.
  • Praise 2

Sometimes Christopher Tan gets it right:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/gaps-in-inclusive-transport-masterplan

For the old and those with mental issues, a smooth path is more than just a want. A fall at that age can mean a broken hip, or head injury that makes the person bed bound, and they get pneumonia and start a slow painful path to death..

The latest land transport masterplan differs from the previous ones in the way it pays attention to "heartware", and not just hardware.

Taking heed of feedback from the ground, the Land Transport Authority has refreshingly shone the spotlight on ways to make Singapore's transport network accessible to all - including those who are physically less mobile.

There will be priority queues at MRT stations and bus interchanges for senior citizens, expectant mothers, wheelchair users and parents with strollers. Priority train cabins for such commuters are also being considered.

The authority promises to improve the quality of signage and announcements at major public transport facilities, too.

This, of course, will benefit not only the old or impaired, but all commuters local and foreign.

Current signage is sometimes obscure, incomplete and unintuitive.

By 2040, the year the latest masterplan is drawn up for, journey information displays, like what is seen on MRT trains, will be on all buses.

This may seem superfluous, but it will raise the service standards of buses. Together with the higher predictability and frequency of services, buses will compete with trains more effectively, setting the stage perhaps for an inter-modal competitive landscape, rather than an inter-operator one.

But a walkable (or rideable) city takes more than sheltered paths. Walkway width, quality of surfaces and connectivity must be vastly improved.

Despite plans spanning over a decade to make our street infrastructure barrier-free, there are still many places which are not. Mostly because builders are not closely scrutinised and complaints are not taken seriously enough. Uneven joints (because of poor workmanship or ground settlement over time) are common.

They spell trouble for those on wheelchairs and PMDs. Other examples include paths which narrow or weave abruptly, and those with sharp gradients. These things may be inconsequential to the able-bodied, but can easily ruin the day for others.

So, while it is crucial for masterplans to capture the big picture, there must be enough resources and resolve to ensure details are nailed down when plans are finally executed.

After all, there have been ample examples of how relatively small things can create havoc. Think of displaced third-rail claws and choked pumps on our rail network.

As heartening as it is to have a vision which encompasses heartware, it should not be at the expense of concrete plans.

• Praise 1

These Silver Zones will help too

The pace of life in SG is very fast... too fast for some..

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/some-silver-zones-to-try-out-30kmh-speed-limit

ST_20190526_SILVER26_4866346.jpg?itok=0v

Some roads in areas with a large population of senior citizens will have their speed limit lowered from 40kmh to 30kmh as part of a Land Transport Authority (LTA) trial.

The trial in these Silver Zones will start sometime next year, and may be implemented in other Silver Zones if found to be successful.

LTA did not specify the areas where the trial will be conducted, and said more information would be available at a later date.

Silver Zones were introduced in 2014 to make roads safer in areas with a large population of senior citizens.

This is done through measures such as the narrowing of roads to slow down traffic, as well as wider centre dividers that allow elderly pedestrians to rest while crossing the road.

There are 16 Silver Zones islandwide, with nine more under construction. By 2023, there will be 50 such zones.

Experts have suggested lower speed limits would reduce the number of accidents, as well as reduce the likelihood of injuries and fatalities in an accident.

According to the LTA, there has been a 75 per cent reduction in the number of accidents involving elderly pedestrians in Silver Zones.

• Praise 1

Sometimes Christopher Tan gets it right:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/gaps-in-inclusive-transport-masterplan

For the old and those with mental issues, a smooth path is more than just a want. A fall at that age can mean a broken hip, or head injury that makes the person bed bound, and they get pneumonia and start a slow painful path to death..

Dementia is debilitating.

My Grandma had it in her late 70s,

Require professional care, so need to send elderly home.

The illness slowly take away all memories, mobility and towards later stage all daily functions need attention.

Felt really sad to see a person slowly lose mobility then cognition. Even worse if the person is closely related.

Luckily my parent family is quite large and everyone chipped in so financial not straining.

I can only imagine those singles, small family units (like many of us) will have major issues in future if something structural isn't prepared now.

1st thing to hit is baby boomer generation, then post boomer gen follow by gen x.

Most gen X and later gen only have 1 siblings.

I still think elder or care shield is not enough coverage.

Even if I took private insurance is only slightly better cover. Higher cover require large annual premium.

• Praise 5

Twincharged

Well done

Yes, keeping active is the best way

Why u think Iâm still here ... lotsa clowns to keep me active here lol

Especially the die hard tech disruptor for selling passports at MCF..

Especially the die hard tech disruptor for selling passports at MCF..

and the resident sermon giver, hor @vratenza

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Dementia is debilitating.

My Grandma had it in her late 70s,

Require professional care, so need to send elderly home.

The illness slowly take away all memories, mobility and towards later stage all daily functions need attention.

Felt really sad to see a person slowly lose mobility then cognition. Even worse if the person is closely related.

Luckily my parent family is quite large and everyone chipped in so financial not straining.

I can only imagine those singles, small family units (like many of us) will have major issues in future if something structural isn't prepared now.

1st thing to hit is baby boomer generation, then post boomer gen follow by gen x.

Most gen X and later gen only have 1 siblings.

I still think elder or care shield is not enough coverage.

Even if I took private insurance is only slightly better cover. Higher cover require large annual premium.

If kanna Huntington lagi worst .. less than 50 can tio Liao.

Important for those same gremlins that you encounter from day to day are not dismissed as getting old. I know one of them who somehow got multiple mild stoke n not dementia sets in .. or do I was told....

Wonder if MRI scan can help in catching problems early before it becomes major

• Praise 1

Supercharged

dementia is a scary illness..

My dad at times, dont remember who i am..

said i'm his brother..

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Important for those same gremlins that you encounter from day to day are not dismissed as getting old. I know one of them who somehow got multiple mild stoke n not dementia sets in .. or do I was told....

I doubt scan can help in detecting these problems. If it happens it happens lo.

dementia is a scary illness..

My dad at times, dont remember who i am..

said i'm his brother..

Did you bring him to see a doctor? Although no cure on dementia but still can slow down the rate of getting worse if detect early.

Just Google about Huntington Disease.

Seemed scary that affect physiological, psychological and social aspect.....

The bad thing is the shield thing may not be covering this disease because though it's bad, but not debilitating enough not carry out 3 daily requirements of the care shield stuff.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Instead of buying your aging parents PMD, get them a pair of running shoes. Instead of learning taichi, qigong or those pat your own body exercises get them to sign up for active Gym membership. They have to do some form of strength exercises and protein to mitigate this effect of muscle loss. Some HDB void deck has senior care with gym equipment. Saw one at AMK, think it's only $1 per entry for senior citizen. 

Twincharged

Well done

Yes, keeping active is the best way

Why u think I’m still here ... lotsa clowns to keep me active here lol

Basket using us to keep mentally fit

got commission or not?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1