Budget COE Car ... I30, Avante, Cerato ?

Oneguy

Budget about $30K

Depri about $5K

I30 vs Avante vs Cerato

Any thoughts on these or any other recommendations?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hyundai tends to have more issues than Kia in recent years. I would go for Kia.

thank you for your input. 

i was under impression of the reverse.

mmm ...

Turbocharged

Hyundai and Kia share the same engine. Infact, Hyundai owns Kia. What are the issues faced in a Hyundai?

(edited)

Common Hyundai issue would be the ECU. 

A reconditioned set would cost around $1K at a non-agent workshop. Other than that, it'd be good to have a check on the condition of the gearbox too. Typically for the Avante, some other possibility of other wear and tear stuff, depending on its upkeep, would include power window switches/motors, ignition coils, seals, radiator, bushings etc. 

Just sharing based on helping out a relative with a renewed COE Avante over the last 2 years.

If you're able to find a good example at a reasonable price, perhaps you could consider a renewed COE Latio.

Edited by Ronkovic
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

@Oneguy

Why not consider those 2009 Kia Forte or Hyundai Avante with renewed 10 yr COE going at $40,000.

That's $4K annual dep.

It's hard to find a car with few yrs left to drive, @ $5,000 annual dep.

@Oneguy

Why not consider those 2009 Kia Forte or Hyundai Avante with renewed 10 yr COE going at $40,000.

That's $4K annual dep.

It's hard to find a car with few yrs left to drive, @ $5,000 annual dep.

Thanks for the heads-up but was told budget $30,000 so have to work within that

I drove a 2012 Forte for 6 years. The most major problem was failed alternator at 5th year which I then had to tow it to a workshop to fix.

Other than that, the rest are wear and tear.

Comparing to same age Elantra (MD model), I have read about failed clocksprings, broken boot lever cable and other small but irritating problems that indicate a QC problem.

I never had those problems with my Forte.

thank you for your input. 

i was under impression of the reverse.

mmm ...

A reconditioned set would cost around $1K at a non-agent workshop. Other than that, it'd be good to have a check on the condition of the gearbox too. Typically for the Avante, some other possibility of other wear and tear stuff, depending on its upkeep, would include power window switches/motors, ignition coils, seals, radiator, bushings etc. 

Just sharing based on helping out a relative with a renewed COE Avante over the last 2 years.

If you're able to find a good example at a reasonable price, perhaps you could consider a renewed COE Latio.

Thanks for this. Whoa, ECU will be a little tough to "detect". Normal wear and tear expected from a 10-year old car. But these are good information. Thank you much!

(edited)

To be honest, ECU problem happens on 4 speed Fortes as well. So it's not limited to Hyundai.

My Forte was a 6 speed and I did not have any ECU failure problem.

Yes, they share the same powertrain and even the same chassis I reckon.

The problems I read about the newer Hyundais are problems with broken clock spring, steering bush, broken boot lever cable, which to me indicates poor QC.

I never had these issues with my Kia.

Hyundai and Kia share the same engine. Infact, Hyundai owns Kia. What are the issues faced in a Hyundai?

Edited by Beehive3783

4 speed Koreans tend to have the ECU problem.

For the newer 6 speeds, they are using ECU from different manufacturer and thus should be problem free. I have not heard of 6 speed Koreans having problems with ECU.

One telltale sign of ECU problem is the 4 speed gearbox stuck in 3rd gear, unable to shift up or down.

If you wish to find out more about the ECU problem, you can contact Harmony Motors. They have been specializing in Korean cars for more than 10 years, and have a refurbished ECU/ ECU maintenance programme available.

ECU maintenance meaning they change some components in the ECU circuit board. You can do that for peace of mind if you decide to get a 4 speed Korean. I remember it costs some $300++

But if your ECU is fried, meaning stuck in 3rd gear, then you would have to replace the entire ECU which costs more than double of the ECU maintenance programme.

Thanks for this. Whoa, ECU will be a little tough to "detect". Normal wear and tear expected from a 10-year old car. But these are good information. Thank you much!

Budget 30K for 5 or 10 years?

You won't find any of the above cars for 3K depre.

Thanks for the heads-up but was told budget $30,000 so have to work within that

• Praise 2

If you wish to find out more about the ECU problem, you can contact Harmony Motors. They have been specializing in Korean cars for more than 10 years, and have a refurbished ECU/ ECU maintenance programme available.

ECU maintenance meaning they change some components in the ECU circuit board. You can do that for peace of mind if you decide to get a 4 speed Korean. I remember it costs some $300++

But if your ECU is fried, meaning stuck in 3rd gear, then you would have to replace the entire ECU which costs more than double of the ECU maintenance programme.

Agreed. Harmony is a good 3rd party workshop to go to for Korean cars. 

Good service, decent honest folks. The ECU maintenance is around $380 if I recall correctly. 

For my relative's car, the ECU just died suddenly and the car cannot start / re-engage gear and even brake. 

Thankfully, it happened just before they were heading up towards Woodlands viaduct on the way to JB. 

Turbocharged
(edited)

It’s a no brainer which is the better deal.

It’s not wise to look at purchase price. You should look at annual depreciation.

2009 Hyundai with new 5 year COE $25K or $5K annual dep

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=809253&DL=3357

2009 Hyundai with new 10 yr COE at $39K or  $3.9K annual dep

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=806104&DL=1000

You have already forgone the $6K in scrap value = sunk cost.  It's wiser to renew 10 yrs COE, rather than 5 years.

Edited by Vinceng

5 years no point IMO.

After 5 years got to scrap. No value to resell.

It’s a no brainer which is the better deal.

It’s not wise to look at purchase price. You should look at annual depreciation.

2009 Hyundai with new 5 year COE $25K or $5K annual dep

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=809253&DL=3357

2009 Hyundai with new 10 yr COE at $39K or  $3.9K annual dep

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=806104&DL=1000

You have already forgone the $6K in scrap value = sunk cost.  It's wiser to renew 10 yrs COE, rather than 5 years.

Turbocharged

5 years no point IMO.

After 5 years got to scrap. No value to resell.

Yes, for 10 year COE cars, at the 5th year, if you wish to sell, sure can fetch higher than paper value (remaining COE value).

5 year COE renewals are targeted at  cash strapped or financially challenged buyers who want to purchase a car.

Turbocharged

@Oneguy,

Another option to stick close to your $30K budget is to look at those 2009 Kia Picanto, Hyundai Getz, Perodua Viva / Kenari, Chevrolet Aveo with new 10 yr COE selling at about $35K, or $3,500 annual dep.

↡ Advertisement