2nd A&W opening at AMK Hub..3rd coming

StreetFight3r

Turbocharged

A lot of people love A&W more because of nostalgic reason - it was suddenly completely pulled out from Singapore in the 90s.

Actually the food is nothing to shout about. Burger can't compare with McDonald's, chicken can't compare with KFC and the sweet root beer with ice cream can be easily bought from supermarkets.

If there is no improvement in the food quality, it may still end up pulling out from Singapore the same way as it was in the 90s.

Rent is not cheap here.

Although I like A&W, like the others.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hypersonic

Strange that you chose to eat fried chicken.. the only 3 things i'll eat at A&W, root beer/coney dog/curly fries...

A&W here in the 80s , 90s their fried chicken are good.

I actually eat more of the fried chicken at AMK store beside Broadway cinema than the Coney dog.

A lot of people love A&W more because of nostalgic reason - it was suddenly completely pulled out from Singapore in the 90s.

Actually the food is nothing to shout about. Burger can't compare with McDonald's, chicken can't compare with KFC and the sweet root beer with ice cream can be easily bought from supermarkets.

If there is no improvement in the food quality, it may still end up pulling out from Singapore the same way as it was in the 90s.

Rent is not cheap here.

Although I like A&W, like the others.

McDonald's burger is a joke to me.

Never eat for Manny years.

A&W here in the 80s , 90s their fried chicken are good.

I actually eat more of the fried chicken at AMK store beside Broadway cinema than the Coney dog.

McDonald's burger is a joke to me.

Never eat for Manny years.

I actually eat more of the fried chicken at AMK store beside Broadway cinema ???  Which stall ? 

Popeye ?

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

I actually eat more of the fried chicken at AMK store beside Broadway cinema ??? Which stall ?

Popeye ?

A&W, they also had 2pcs fried chicken.

AMK shop beside the Broadway cinema.

Hypersonic
(edited)

You all only talk about the Root Beer and the coney dog.....

Please don't forget about the Bear. His name is Rooty. He is born in 1974  in Canada!

learnt something new today...   [laugh]  [:p]

Edited by Lala81

Supersonic

A&W is not even popular in Malaysia. In the entire Johor state, only 3 outlets - 2 are at petronas station along the highway, 1 in bukit indah shopping mall. And then you realised almost ALL the newer shopping malls that recently opened in JB, NONE have a A&W!!! That's when it hit you that A&W sucks across the causeway.

Using the same logic, SG A&W also not popular.

Whole SG only 1 A&W  [laugh]

Turbocharged

Using the same logic, SG A&W also not popular.

Whole SG only 1 A&W [laugh]

There used to be a lot more A&W outlets in JB. All closed one by one.

Hypersonic

I just want to eat for nostalgia. After that most likely won't eat again. From memory, was nothing special and the malaysia ones were horrible.

Supersonic

There used to be a lot more A&W outlets in JB. All closed one by one.

Same for SG right?

I haven't tried the newly opened one in SG but is there any reason to think it won't be the same as previous?

Supersonic

Same for SG right?

I haven't tried the newly opened one in SG but is there any reason to think it won't be the same as previous?

No difference. History likely to repeat itself. Just happens quicker than other countries.

Why?

Its abit of a Pandora box.

When business is booming, boss will want to expand and usually in high traffic places like shopping malls. So North, South, East, West plus North East, North West, South North, South East, Central etc etc will soon have an outlet.

Its actually the same pool of customers plus a tiny few % of new ones but now they have thinned out or spread out the customers throughout the island.

Great. What about rentals? First 2 or 3 years contract maybe fixed without increase. After that? 10, 20, 40% increase monthly for ALL outlets?

Dun understand why unless laundry business is part of the plan. Cos would it not be wiser to keep to max 3 or 4 outlets and not spend profits for rental of outlets that dun do well? There will be those that do extremely well like CJ but others may not do so well.

I find businesses tend to expand too fast. Its like die die must get every customer to eat every day from their menu. Its a no brainer that besides being overdosed on same menu, there will always be alternatives as competition.

So, yes, i feel A&W and most other brands will exit if they keep expanding and Singapore still a tiny red dot with slow birth rate. Older ones, like myself, will eat for nostalgic reasons and its only the A&W float in an icy frosted mug. Crazy price to pay but memories dun always come cheap.

Just my tots.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

I think I watch it on TV before. For fast food chain how they maintain the food taste consistency throughout other parts of the world. The HQ will send their employees to these food outlets for food tasting. They supply some of the sauce or food if they cant find it locally. And most importantly if the franchise companies fail to meet their standards they will remove them.

For companies who dont monitor the food standards and anyhow give out franchising license of course we will see them fail and fail miserably. For those who are successful they invest a lot of effort to make sure the standards are met. It's the business model that can work anywhere in the world that is key.

Supersonic

A&W Pahlawan Mall Malacca level 2. A friend shared these photos. Said chicken pieces came piping hot and the float very nice. The set with coleslaw, whipped potatoes, 5 chix and 2 floats is about RM$33. But the whipped potatoes cmi.

Safe ride

Cheers

post-34737-0-78321100-1559714255_thumb.jpg

post-34737-0-54843600-1559714383_thumb.jpg

• Praise 7

Just tried to day. Better satisfaction than Jewel's Shake Shack.

We tried the mozza and cream cheese burger. 2 pc fried chicken and waffle. The Connie dog was normal.

• Praise 1

Just tried to day. Better satisfaction than Jewel's Shake Shack.

We tried the mozza and cream cheese burger. 2 pc fried chicken and waffle. The Connie dog was normal.

Was there at 3pm+.... the Q was long. Give up and will try in other days.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1