The Journey Of Your New Car – getting pumped

therock

So now, you have put your precious money into buying that dream car and the day that it arrives in Singapore has come!

It lands in our port, someone picks it up and it gets transported to our showrooms for collection. Have you ever wondered about the fuel that goes into the car? Does it come empty? How much fuel goes into it? What kind of fuel goes into it?

Well here is the story of two companies who choose a quaint little station in the West Coast to top up the fuel for their new arrivals.

Both Honda and Toyota use a small Shell station down South, close to the Pasir Panjang MRT, and everyday, rain or shine, more than a dozen car transporters stop here to fill up the cars they carry. If you do the maths, that’s about a ten cars or so per transporter and more than 100 cars each day! It also gives you an idea of the sales volume of these bigger car companies.

IMG_6374-742973.jpeg

The station has a total of eight pumps, and the two outermost pair are equipped with extra long hoses, which allow the driver to reach the second deck of his transporter truck, without having to move the long truck. And yes it’s usually the driver who does the job, rather than the regular fuel attendants, but they do help out sometimes. It typically takes the driver around half an hour or more to refuel all the cars in one load.

IMG_6310-745094.jpeg

So you get a full tank? Sadly no, they will give you 50 bucks worth of the golden liquid, and it’s Ron 95 for these cars. Diesel cars obviously get a different oil, but it’s still the same amount. Given current petrol prices, you will get around a quarter tank, depending on how large the fuel tank is.

Other car companies have tie ups with other stations, but the more premium marques may give you a full tank if you get their more expensive cars, but most car dealers only give you around a quarter tank. Enough for you to run about for a while, but with fuel prices so high, I guess unless you are a top valued customer, a quarter tank will have to do. Cars requiring a higher Ron do get a different grade of fuel, but whether that makes a difference is left to another story to answer….

Who says Toyotas aren't selling well?

IMG_6311-746734.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 27

Nice share. I wonder if Toyota will fill up the new supra with Ron95 or Ron 98. The only toyota worth buying is the supra. Otherwise... meh

Since Toyota cut their salesmen commission, may be at the pumps they will only fuel ten.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

50 for quarter tank? I guess they aren't getting credit card discount pricing!

This is standard,$50.00 before Discount,usually Borneo or any Agent used Shell Corporate Cards.

Nice share. I wonder if Toyota will fill up the new supra with Ron95 or Ron 98. The only toyota worth buying is the supra. Otherwise... meh

I thought you called this Toyota b***shit for being nothing more than a BMW clone?
  • Praise 5
  • Dislike 1

I thought you called this Toyota b***shit for being nothing more than a BMW clone?

Yeah it is but it is the only toyota worth getting. Essentially you pay a toyota price for a BMW car underneath.

So now, you have put your precious money into buying that dream car and the day that it arrives in Singapore has come!

It lands in our port, someone picks it up and it gets transported to our showrooms for collection. Have you ever wondered about the fuel that goes into the car? Does it come empty? How much fuel goes into it? What kind of fuel goes into it?

Well here is the story of two companies who choose a quaint little station in the West Coast to top up the fuel for their new arrivals.

Both Honda and Toyota use a small Shell station down South, close to the Pasir Panjang MRT, and everyday, rain or shine, more than a dozen car transporters stop here to fill up the cars they carry. If you do the maths, that’s about a ten cars or so per transporter and more than 100 cars each day! It also gives you an idea of the sales volume of these bigger car companies.

IMG_6374-742973.jpeg

The station has a total of eight pumps, and the two outermost pair are equipped with extra long hoses, which allow the driver to reach the second deck of his transporter truck, without having to move the long truck. And yes it’s usually the driver who does the job, rather than the regular fuel attendants, but they do help out sometimes. It typically takes the driver around half an hour or more to refuel all the cars in one load.

IMG_6310-745094.jpeg

So you get a full tank? Sadly no, they will give you 50 bucks worth of the golden liquid, and it’s Ron 95 for these cars. Diesel cars obviously get a different oil, but it’s still the same amount. Given current petrol prices, you will get around a quarter tank, depending on how large the fuel tank is.

Other car companies have tie ups with other stations, but the more premium marques may give you a full tank if you get their more expensive cars, but most car dealers only give you around a quarter tank. Enough for you to run about for a while, but with fuel prices so high, I guess unless you are a top valued customer, a quarter tank will have to do. Cars requiring a higher Ron do get a different grade of fuel, but whether that makes a difference is left to another story to answer….

Who says Toyotas aren't selling well?

IMG_6311-746734.jpeg

You actually see them pumping into new car ? The photo like filling the lori leh ....

You actually see them pumping into new car ? The photo like filling the lori leh ....

Yes bro... next time I shall document for you when I pass the station again ok?

• Praise 2

Twincharged

That Pump don't have Diesel,don't tell me that Truck use Petrol.? [confused]  [:(]

• Praise 1

Merc tends to tie up with Esso, so you are going to get 98 in that tank, but I haven't been able to ask which station they work with.

However there's a large Esso right outside the Merc at Pandan, so I'm guessing that's the station they use..

It's a really interesting read thanks.

I am skeptical if Kah Motors actually puts $50 worth of fuel in the car though. I picked up my car from KM in Feb 2019. It had 13km on the odometer and when I started the car it literally was showing the empty fuel light first up. Even the SE had to tell me where the closest petrol station is.

May be it's just me though...

(edited)

I am skeptical if Kah Motors actually puts $50 worth of fuel in the car though. I picked up my car from KM in Feb 2019. It had 13km on the odometer and when I started the car it literally was showing the empty fuel light first up. Even the SE had to tell me where the closest petrol station is.

That's odd to have only 13km on the odo..

Your car would have gone for local leather fitting, Head Unit etc.... that occurs after collection from the port and the refuelling.. 

Unless the truck driver left out and forgot to refuel your car.. 

Edited by therock

Twincharged

Not all Agent put $50.00 of Petrol for New Car Owner,my Mazda also come with near Empty,some Good Salesman will put $50.00 for you,from their own Pocket. [thumbsup] Usually those who buy Car from the same Salesman like every 3 Years...will be given a Full Tank. [:)]

That's odd to have only 13km on the odo..

Your car would have gone for local leather fitting, Head Unit etc.... that occurs after collection from the port and the refuelling..

Unless the truck driver left out and forgot to refuel your car..

my previous new ride also have less than 20km on odo.

is possible to have 13km only for his case when mostly factory fitted.

↡ Advertisement