KF Seetoh suggests peak-hour surcharge for hawker centres

ChaosMyth

Hypersonic

If we look at the street food around Asia. Ppl need not sit down to eat. Most eat as they walk to look at what other food is available. Food packaging has to evolve from traditional sit down and eat utensil to something more mobile or portable. Dont have to be complicated. Food portion has to reduce for mobility maybe price can lower too but can sell more. We are doing it on pasar malam anyway. Ppl already sit down the whole day in office. Let them walk and sweat a bit. LoL...

I think eating environment has to be pleasant lah. We are used to AC in office and work. 

Most people don't really want to sweat it out or even walk in our tropical climate LOL

If people are not willing to pay more for HC food, it will die a natural death. No need to try to get young people to go into this hard line. Then maybe a few premium hawker food provider would survive to charge 10 bucks for mee pok or Chicken rice.

And we will end up eating home packed sandwiches every lunch. Probably much healthier though. And save time too.

better buy stock in gardenia and sunshine  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I think eating environment has to be pleasant lah. We are used to AC in office and work. 

Most people don't really want to sweat it out or even walk in our tropical climate LOL

There are alternatives like kopi shops and FC if they want to sit down comfortably and eat. They pay more lo.

But if ppl want it cheap a number of things will have to go. Comfort/environment or space is one of them. You cant have it all.

There are alternatives like kopi shops and FC if they want to sit down comfortably and eat. They pay more lo.

But if ppl want it cheap a number of things will have to go. Comfort/environment or space is one of them. You cant have it all.

Food Republic food court already has premium pricing liao   [laugh]

(edited)

It's not really just that.

People just assume that and just want to blame the landlord to simplify things. Yes the current new hawker center charges make it difficult to earn a living, no different from coffeeshop rental actually.

U watch interviews with hawkers at the established govt FC with reasonable rental charges. Even the semi successful ones are earning just enough to get by.

Most people just keep saying it's the landlord so that to justify the cheap prices they are paying. It's actually just dissonance.

The fact is that inflation has not caught on with most hawker center prices.

The older generation will still slog on cos they are used to such lives. But there's a reason why many young hawkers just give up and go back to doing a salaried job.

I think it's safe to say even if u are a deliveryman, u probably earn the same or more as the median hawker.

We go back to the crux of why KF said what he said...  his purpose is to ensure hawkers make more .. so his biz plan is sustainable and have chance to charge higher even.

''I think it's safe to say even if u are a deliveryman, u probably earn the same or more as the median hawker.'' 

Its all about risk reward right? deliveryman will never make anywhere near what a top hawker can make.. just look at hawker chan, kaylee etc...  

Food Republic food court already has premium pricing liao   [laugh]

''Premium'' pricing is fine.. its whether the food is worth the money...  

Edited by SuPerBoRed

Hypersonic

We go back to the crux of why KF said what he said...  his purpose is to ensure hawkers make more .. so his biz plan is sustainable and have chance to charge higher even.

''I think it's safe to say even if u are a deliveryman, u probably earn the same or more as the median hawker.'' 

Its all about risk reward right? deliveryman will never make anywhere near what a top hawker can make.. just look at hawker chan, kaylee etc...  

To be fair to KF seetoh, he's been saying the same thing for many years even before he became a makansutra/gluttons foodcourt operator.

Yes. It's market forces. But the median hawker doesn't earn much. So correspondingly, more people will rather become salaried lor.

premium nowadays mostly paying for AC and rental in malls with good footfall   [laugh]

Hypersonic

coffeeshop charging $1.20~1.50 for coffee got what nice environment? same old uncles, ft hawkers, dirty tables,.... [bounce2]

yishun park food centre..$0.90/after 10% rebate has nicer environment

• Praise 2

If those hawkers really put their heart and soul into their cooking, think no need any surcharges as business will be good all day..

Sadly, not many exist anymore..

PAP fault

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Personally, no need to charge surcharge.

Did he not understand there are very rich hawkers, semi rich ones, okok ones and the kpkb ones whose food is exact reflection of their complaining attitude?

At any given peak hours, either the very nice food stalls or the cheapest ones have long long queues, office workers sweating under the burning roof of HCs?

Often heard that ppl will travel from Jurong to Tampines if there's a good food stall either shared by Ah Yoke or shown on TV. Even my aunty looks thru the papers every friday to look for food recommendations. And we will be rounded up to go eat. Diet plans out of doors again.

Not every hawker food taste nice or good and worse when they serve it like u owe them money. Mind you, not cheap somemore.

First, hawkers need to put in more heart into preparation of food. That's basic and humble beginning. Not the environment we cant go back to squatting next to longkang. Food waste and used tissues on floors of HCs are 99% of the time swept down by the wipers. If i see one, i will lecture one. Its like leave it to the ah nehs washing the floors at each close of the day to clean up.

Secondly, dun be stingy with food portion. No one asking for gorilla sized portions but ppl eat to be full, not tickle the stomach.

Thirdly, pls consider cutting down on plastic waste. Use plates or bowls at least for a start. Water is resource from heaven. Plastic pollution is our poison for our grandchildren. Food also seems to taste nicer in proper plates and bowls.

Lastly, get out of this trade if u cant keep up with the long hours and back aching chores. What u earn u will spend on medical and rent. Look for part time work for your children, to look after your grandchildren.

Dun kill me ah, some hawkers perpetually have very few customers cos food really cmi. Yet they do not know what else to do except kpkb to anyone who have time and a soft heart.

Rentals are high is a fact. Who own these stalls? Koufu, S11, Republic, Fairfare? Look at the area and environment of these. At least half have aircon, team of cleaners and admin staff (on the dot go round collect money, hawker's earnings for that day). I do wonder about this method but i believe bad apples amongst hawkers caused rents to be deducted against daily takings. So a hawker may need 15 days sale towards rental and the rest of remaining month to pocket his earnings.

Just some tots. I know some hawkers putting thru 5 kids thru school with 4 who graduated from Uni, some so loaded they have 2 landed and 3 cars, for their kiddos. Some cash rich but staying in HDBs.

A common bad habit amongst hawkers is gambling. Lose, no money buy ingredients, close stall for a week or more. Win, close stall go holiday or go for more gambling or drinking sessions. Haiz, no money for rent, blame landlords blame govt. Cry for more cpf to be returned so can gamble somemore. Sure win one. Most dun plan or save. Money for gambling always can put aside but money for getting fresher ingredients cannot bear. Stale food served. Who will come back eat again?

Just last week, relatives from KL came for a few days holiday here. Took them to a hawker centre. One was telling us, if not taking into account exchange rates, food in Singapore is cheaper. Huh? She said here can buy plate of rice or noodles at $2.50, $3, $3.50. In KL, minimum now is $6. Heck, my uncle was saying last night his JB noodles cost $12 ringgit now and standard dropped. Haiz

Just sharing. Sorry for long post. Safe ride.

Cheers

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Eating out in malaysia is proportionally more expensive.

Whether zi char or hawker food.

Just last week, relatives from KL came for a few days holiday here. Took them to a hawker centre. One was telling us, if not taking into account exchange rates, food in Singapore is cheaper. Huh? She said here can buy plate of rice or noodles at $2.50, $3, $3.50. In KL, minimum now is $6. Heck, my uncle was saying last night his JB noodles cost $12 ringgit now and standard dropped. Haiz

• Praise 2

To be fair to KF seetoh, he's been saying the same thing for many years even before he became a makansutra/gluttons foodcourt operator.

Yes. It's market forces. But the median hawker doesn't earn much. So correspondingly, more people will rather become salaried lor.

i think hor... many hawkers are now salaried anyways...  so who making the most money in profit times??

where is the desire to improve? 

I like 甲三碗's plan. They opened at Seah Im first.. tested public response to their menu ...  they were successful.. opened a shop in lavender area...  due to limitations of new location .. readjusted their menu. and are doing even better 

These young chaps have a plan... well done to them ...  

Hypersonic

i think hor... many hawkers are now salaried anyways...  so who making the most money in profit times??

I like 甲三碗's plan. They opened at Seah Im first.. tested public response to their menu ...  they were successful.. opened a shop in lavender area...  due to limitations of new location .. readjusted their menu. and are doing even better 

what do they sell?

I think the days of hawkers are numbered. Once the so called first gen of hawkers retire no younger generation will want to be a hawker. It's hard to make a living out of it. Built so many HC also no use. The current cheap hawker food will not go on for long. The high cost of living will kill it. It's just a matter of when.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

BTW, i got mention before that the good hawkers of the past also faced years before they could build up their business. Many of them took over years to refine their food preparation techniques. 

But nowadays with the higher operating costs, they don't have the luxury of slowly building up their business.

Of course now got internet to help these guys. And the people are more educated and savvy and they go in with their eyes wide open.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Personally, I follow KFST's FB page and the more I read his posts, the more I see a pattern developing.

True that he always says that he wants to help the hawkers here in Singapore, but how many of those are he helping altruistically? There always seem to be a thinly veiled motive behind. Has anyone seen how he damns some hawkers' food on his FB posts? How is that helping?

In reference to this peak hour surcharge suggestion by him, I rolled my eyes so hard after reading it on his FB. How does peak hour surcharges help? It just drives away customers and creates more avenues for alternatives, and substitutes away from hawker centres. Who does it benefit? Always the landlords, people like him.

I feel that hawker prices should universally adjust upwards, make hawker centres more comfortable for dining. Singaporeans are very pragmatic, for the price they are paying, there has to be something extra. That's how food courts came into play in the beginning and look at how long it has stayed despite all the same naysayings we are hearing about raising hawker prices now.

If we don't work to keep this food culture of ours, then no matter tiered pricings, peak hour surcharges or whatever stupid measures will help.

• Praise 3

(edited)

ingredient cost? how to reduce. Not possible.

It's market forces given singapore is a net food importer.

Veggies - china and malaysia

Chicken and eggs - MY

Beef - international, likely nz/aussie 

Pork - indonesia

Noodles/wheat - that one mostly made in SG

Rent. The old FCs rent should be relatively stable. but of course the other places then very tough lor. 

Ya..raw mat maybe hard. But rent... My house last time got a famous kuay chap stall moved in. Seeing the biz is good, the owner wanted to increase their rent and they move out after a month. Also, at my previous work place, M took over the factory from J. CP increased 40 dollars and I heard from the food stalls that they increase the rent by 2k w/o any improvements made to the facility. The old auntie only selling 3 bucks per bowl of curry noodles. imagine how many more bowls she need to sell to cover this 2k.

My thought is that by imposing surcharge to consumers, the spending gap between hc and foodcourt will be reduced. People will turn to foodcourt/restaurant for the more comfortable environment or have their lunch after the peak hour. End of the day, it's a lose-lose situation for the hawkers. Consumers will always have choices but hawkers depend on them. Want them to earn more? Reduce the rent.

Edited by Stratovarius
↡ Advertisement