KF Seetoh suggests peak-hour surcharge for hawker centres

ChaosMyth

I don't see anything wrong about charging more if there is overwhelming demand, and there is value-added by the hawker in portion size or quality of ingredients or preparation/packaging etc.

Seetoh is also fair to suggest a lower price during off peak periods. Why can't we wage-earners self-regulate and not add to the crowding?

And speaking of wage-earners, if we have been receiving pay rises and bonuses regularly, why be so ungracious as to withhold a reward to the best hawkers? Don't the best hawkers deserve our vote and support to continue? Shouldn't we reward effort by being willing to pay more if we really desire the dish?

I also think those hawkers who don't want to make the effort to improve quality, service and taste are only looking for excuses to blame some scapegoat such as landlord or management. We should not have soft ears and soft heart for those who are hiding behind excuses.

↡ Advertisement

If those hawkers really put their heart and soul into their cooking, think no need any surcharges as business will be good all day..

Sadly, not many exist anymore..

PAP fault

• Praise 1

In the name of hygiene, everything also from central kitchen. Which factory worker put their heard and soul into cooking?

Even simple prep like prata dough also central kitchen. These prata not nice 1.

End of the day, most people are willing to pay more for quality HC food...

Pls dun cham poh the central kitchen cumcept unless u talking abt chwee kueh , cai png, ngoh hiang hae piah, yong tau hu n the works..

And also dun mention Vsex pls

• Praise 1

End of the day, most people are willing to pay more for quality HC food...

Pls dun cham poh the central kitchen cumcept unless u talking abt chwee kueh , cai png, ngoh hiang hae piah, yong tau hu n the works..

And also dun mention Vsex pls

our high rental cost make it difficult for small business to survive here.

just look at our ntuc, suppose to act as a price regulator organization, but turn out to be a profit driven organization.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

Been noticing this KF Seetoh giving more and more ridiculous suggestions. This is the PAP way style of offering solutions to crowd control, fixing congestions. Look at the newly opened Jewel. In order to "control crowd" you are expected to pay up to SGD 56 if you want to go 4 of the paid attractions. There are other ways to limit crowd. Reserving free ticket online first come first serve blahhhhhh. Then now there's peak period surcharge for hawker centres. Many of these people who patronize hawkers during lunch time even in CBDs are also people who are just drawing a decent salary just like you and me. Why punish these people? Founder of Makansutra? Super out of touch with the average Singaporean. No doubt overhead very high for hawkers. In fact I think they pay a darn ridiculous price just for rental, cleaning etc... KF Seetoh should campaign for lowering rental costs for hawkers instead of penalizing the consumers. [dead]

AFAIK.. he big time non PAP supporter leh..maybe he say all this co he work as consultant for Hawkers.. so must show he can and got ideas la.. not cheap this fellow.. Edited by BenTong

If people are not willing to pay more for HC food, it will die a natural death. No need to try to get young people to go into this hard line. Then maybe a few premium hawker food provider would survive to charge 10 bucks for mee pok or Chicken rice.

And we will end up eating home packed sandwiches every lunch. Probably much healthier though. And save time too.

any cheaper will have to be Roadside food ... will the 70s be revived ?  :D

• Praise 3

In the name of hygiene, everything also from central kitchen. Which factory worker put their heard and soul into cooking?

Even simple prep like prata dough also central kitchen. These prata not nice 1.

Even restaurant chains like Crystal Jade also many items from central kitchen. Not nice anymore, I also stopped going. Might as well buy frozen food from supermarket and heat up.
  • Praise 1

i somewhat agree. 

IMO, our hawker food is cheap. $2.50/3 can get a decent rice/noodle dish. I think $5 is ok. For poorer folks, thats up to the Govt to "take back" control of some public FCs and lower price thru rents & other means 

• Praise 1

He just want to be a makan guru for the wrong reason, not only his suggestion is plain stupid, nor funny, ppl pay him to say good thing about the food, blog . . . blah blah, if the peak period is higher, I will move to the next store who is not charging more.

He talk cock and sing song la [bigcry]

Hypersonic

This is how our taxi pricing got so complicated. Some smart Alec decide to price same service or item differently at different timing and locations.

Twincharged
(edited)

He just want to be a makan guru for the wrong reason, not only his suggestion is plain stupid, nor funny, ppl pay him to say good thing about the food, blog . . . blah blah, if the peak period is higher, I will move to the next store who is not charging more.

Ya, I feel that way too. Talk cock sing song is the best illustration.

The main problem is that hawker stalls do not even have control on when is their opening and closing time, plus sky high rental. No good man. I feel the ouns should be on hawker stalls to decide when to open and close as they know the best timing to open and close the stall with the crowd they are seeing.

Like the most recent case, jewel at the top level.. Stalls are to open to 3am where many are complaining there is no business from wee hours onwards. So why can't the management let them decide on the hours after 10pm? I mean there may need to have cortain control to have a set standard like maybe set standard operation hours is 11am to 10pm for example, other timing it's up to them to decide whether they want to open or close. This is a lot better then micro managing things that do not show good result as compared to let them have some freedom of decision.

The strong word is micromanagement.. This is no good. It does not work well from top to bottom, it also does not work well from management to stall owners.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Seetoh has the same ideas as our civil servants. Peak periods? Raise prices.

Instead of raising prices during peak periods, why don't they suggest lowering prices during off-peak periods instead?

People like KF tasting foods for a living and yet talking rubbish is like garbage in a bin, something not right about his suggestion, he is not stupid yet not that smart either.

(edited)

he got one series of makan show filmed in bolehland.

Barged into the shop with camera crew, got scolded and kena chased out. 

Damn lao kui  [laugh]

Makan Goondu  :secret-laugh:

Edited by Count-Bracula
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1