60k Diy car maintenance qn (engine oil/atf/ coolant)

Nick2342

(edited)

Approaching 60k+ svc soon. Will be trying to get parts myself to save cost

Car is 4 yr old 1.6 turbo diesel.

Currently using Castrol Edge 5w30 but thinking to change to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 as offer better protection against high rev/temps esp in hot weather.

However not very sure about ACEA grade A5/B5 which is what the Edge is rated at. The SHU is rated at A3B3.. from what i gather it refers to viscosity? Is the SHU compatible with the current engine? From what i gather,

ATF wise.. the handbook says it recommends BOT 341 fluid. Not sure what ATF is good.. Using Volvo MPS6.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Nick2342
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

eh u start 2 thread for wat?

deleted one

Paiseh accident double click while posting as page wasnt loading. Apologies
  • Praise 2

Paiseh accident double click while posting as page wasnt loading. Apologies

think u hv to post ur query again

(edited)

Currently using Castrol Edge 5w30 but thinking to change to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 as offer better protection against high rev/temps esp in hot weather.

However not very sure about ACEA grade A5/B5 which is what the Edge is rated at. The SHU is rated at A3B3.. from what i gather it refers to viscosity? Is the SHU compatible with the current engine? From what i gather,

ATF wise.. the handbook says it recommends BOT 341 fluid. Not sure what ATF is good.. Using Volvo MPS6.

Thanks in advance

My friend 8 yrs old Mitsubishi 4D56 is running on 10w-30 with 5k oil change interval.

Both engine oil choice is wrong as it is not intended for diesel use.

There are different in engine oil for petrol and diesel.

On this island, it is likely Amsoil only.

On Lazada Malaysia, you can get Total Quartz Diesel 9000 5w-30.

Edited by Davidtch

Honestly i would drive to JB and hand the thing to the mechanic and do the work. they have the proper tool unless you have a pte garage if not people is going to take photo and upload online. so expensive to buy the tools in singapore

Next the most important question where to dispose the used oil.

if you stiil want DIY please make sure wheel choke and the car is stable.

be safe and have fun with your project

My friend 8 yrs old Mitsubishi 4D56 is running on 10w-30 with 5k oil change interval.

agree diesel uses different lube and need to clean DPF too.

too high tech for me

• Praise 2

Honestly i would drive to JB and hand the thing to the mechanic and do the work. they have the proper tool unless you have a pte garage if not people is going to take photo and upload online. so expensive to buy the tools in singapore

too high tech for me

With EURO6, PPF is coming liao.

To clear DPF, just drive along our expressway continuously for 30mins every week.

So EZ

Thanks in advance

To be honest stick to what is recommended. Cos even when you Google the Castrol Edge will appear more in the results.

How do you know SHU is better in protection? I mean unless you overhaul the engine and put the cylinder liners and crankshaft bearing journals under the microscope to really see what the protection is like.

Stick to what is recommended even for your ATF. It didn't go wrong in the 4 years ownership of your car so why change them?

IIRC,  most engine oil are dual rated. 

IIRC,  most engine oil are dual rated. 

I know.  Most non diesel specific oil is API CF, which is obsolete now.

https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/oil-categories#tab-diesel-c-categories

CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 2009. Later “C” category oils are usually suitable or preferred for diesel automotive engines for which “CF” oils were specified. Older equipment and/or two-stroke diesel engines, especially those calling for monograde products, may however require “CF” category oil.

For most modern diesel engine, minimum CI-4

Introduced in 2002. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards implemented in 2002. CI-4 oils are formulated to sustain engine durability where exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is used and are intended for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4, CG-4, and CH-4 oils. Some CI-4 oils may also qualify for the CI-4 PLUS designation.

How come not suited for diesel use? Mineral or not fully syn?

Checked out SHU and it is for both petrol and diesel so im kinda eyeing that. Not sure what is a good blend of 5W40 Eoil to use.

(edited)

too high tech for me

Well want to try diy as want to kind of practice hands on and not lose touch as a interest and a former student. If can diy also maybe can save cost on labour that wkshop charge for.

Not sure where to buy the tools as this is my first time attempting this aside from sch.

Dpf wise can burn off soot with sustained rev for 30 min on highway.

Thank you!

Edited by Nick2342

How come not suited for diesel use? Mineral or not fully syn?

Checked out SHU and it is for both petrol and diesel so im kinda eyeing that. Not sure what is a good blend of 5W40 Eoil to use.

That's because it is API CF

CF Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 2009. Later “C” category oils are usually suitable or preferred for diesel automotive engines for which “CF” oils were specified. Older equipment and/or two-stroke diesel engines, especially those calling for monograde products, may however require “CF” category oil.

Since your car is 4 yr old, very likely need CJ-4

CJ-4 Current For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 non-road exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or drain interval. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

Check owner manual.

My friend 2011 Mitsubishi Triton using Total Quartz Diesel 7000 5w-30.

↡ Advertisement