60k Diy car maintenance qn (engine oil/atf/ coolant)

Nick2342

Remember to buy some extensions as well. Some screws are hidden deep inside.

and please get hold of a copy of workshop manual for your vehicle

↡ Advertisement

Don't be fooled by Kia.

No ATF is designed to last forever.

My previous Kia 6 speed auto was also sealed design without any dipstick to check ATF colour.

No choice, got to look for service manual and see where to drain and fill fresh ATF.

ATF usually lasts 30k which is when the colour starts turning brown. That's the best time to change.

Most Diesel engine with DPF use low ash low S EO lor.  So ACEA C1/2/3/4.  I use E7/E9.

R yours Adblue ? ANW, best read your service manual carefully. 

As for ATF, for all my rides, hardly change.  My previous ride drive 238kkm over 10 years only change TWICE.  KIA service manual say Inspect wor, the manual even say if not RED is OK one as over time the dye deteriorate wor. As long as the ATF is clear, a light brownish is OK.  If it is very dark or got particles then it is too late anyway.

As for EO schedule, some countries is 12kkm and some is 15kkm. I change EO every 15kkm or 6 months or whichever later.  My budget only call for 2 EO change PER Year.

So far so good.

For my current, got some kind of ATF but NO Need to change wor.

Hypersonic

If pickup truck can use 10w-30 semi syn, i find it strange that passenger car can't use 30wt oil.

My fren pickup truck (not Singapore truck) did a EGR bypass. The engine will be hotter than usual.

Why not w30? Because many still think engine technology still in the 8s, 90s.

Current engine mostly are made for w30 EO.

I had been using w30 all the while for current car and past 2 car.

Current car just did 100k servicing, and still continue use castrol 5w30 EO. My car is 2.0L turbo with 240hp. No problem. Engine oil cap also print w30 oil on it.

• Praise 1

car_servicing__engine_oil_1559736415_94b

Not here to argue or create tension but servicing is not really expensive in Sg lah... Plenty of workshops in Sg is giving promotion all year round. Let trained mechanics with correct tools keep their job while we help to keep Sg economy running. 

@nick2342 You found a job liao?

• Praise 1

Don't be fooled by Kia.

No ATF is designed to last forever.

My previous Kia 6 speed auto was also sealed design without any dipstick to check ATF colour.

No choice, got to look for service manual and see where to drain and fill fresh ATF.

ATF usually lasts 30k which is when the colour starts turning brown. That's the best time to change.

To DIY Auto transmission  oil drain and replacement of fresh oil, is no easy task unless one have access to use of vehicle lift and ATF dispenser.

Most professional mechs will drop the transmission oil pan to drain, do cleaning and replace the filter. Replacing the new ATF into the  transmission ( most of the filling plug is located at the lower side of the AT ) must be carried out with pressure dispenser and with the correct adapter screwed into position to prevent oil flow-out.. This hydraulic-tight arrange will allow the AT to be filled to the desired level.

Mechanics without proper tools , the chance of introducing dirt into the AT is high and the high possibility of not filling up to the desired volume.

You will be surprise many shops still use cheap "DIY  $8.00 " oil filter wrench to work on all makes and model of cars - be it cartridge or canister / paper filter type.

I just unable to figure our how they manage to survive  and keep on going on to service all the lastest models that call for the use of specialty tools.

You will be surprise many shops still use cheap "DIY  $8.00 " oil filter wrench to work on all makes and model of cars - be it cartridge or canister / paper filter type.

I just unable to figure our how they manage to survive  and keep on going on to service all the lastest models that call for the use of specialty tools.

IMHO, in order to be cheap, it has to be like that. 

Remember to buy some extensions as well. Some screws are hidden deep inside.

and please get hold of a copy of workshop manual for your vehicle

Thanks.. Have started buying parts for servicing already.  Managed to snag SHU 5W40 at Giant for $30. So far left ATF, brake fluid and coolant. [thumbsup]

Can use JWS3309 compatible ATF for the transmission? Read that BOT341 is an old model which is phased out to JWS3309 and then AW-1.

As for oil filter cabin filter etc not sure where to get for Volvo.

Why not w30? Because many still think engine technology still in the 8s, 90s.

Current engine mostly are made for w30 EO.

I had been using w30 all the while for current car and past 2 car.

Current car just did 100k servicing, and still continue use castrol 5w30 EO. My car is 2.0L turbo with 240hp. No problem. Engine oil cap also print w30 oil on it.

Cant find Castrol 5W30 ACEA A5/B5 when shopping just now.. so went with SHU 5W40... Will try 40wt oil first see how it goes.. if bad then will switch back to w30.

Is there a place where can find ACEA A5/B5 Castrol Edge?

car_servicing__engine_oil_1559736415_94b

Not here to argue or create tension but servicing is not really expensive in Sg lah... Plenty of workshops in Sg is giving promotion all year round. Let trained mechanics with correct tools keep their job while we help to keep Sg economy running. 

@nick2342 You found a job liao?

Thanks! Already doing at ws, friend recommend me. Will keep in mind for future svcing.

Yup thanks! Working at Mazda now currently!

Hypersonic

Thanks.. Have started buying parts for servicing already.  Managed to snag SHU 5W40 at Giant for $30. So far left ATF, brake fluid and coolant. [thumbsup]

Can use JWS3309 compatible ATF for the transmission? Read that BOT341 is an old model which is phased out to JWS3309 and then AW-1.

As for oil filter cabin filter etc not sure where to get for Volvo.

Cant find Castrol 5W30 ACEA A5/B5 when shopping just now.. so went with SHU 5W40... Will try 40wt oil first see how it goes.. if bad then will switch back to w30.

Is there a place where can find ACEA A5/B5 Castrol Edge?

Thanks! Already doing at ws, friend recommend me. Will keep in mind for future svcing.

Yup thanks! Working at Mazda now currently!

Try Mxtrading. They may have brand that meet your need.

(edited)

Thanks to TS, I found this discussion

https://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/31913-v40-d2-my-2013-engine-oil-specifications.html

For Diesel engine, by right its ACEA C-standard as Diesel engine requires low SAPS. This standard is similar to API CH-4 or higher.

But Volvo thinks that low fuel consumption outweigh the risk of choking DPF. Accordingly, ACEA A5/B5 is recommended.

SAPS will choke in DPF in the long run and can’t be re-gen.

Try Mxtrading. They may have brand that meet your need.

Volvobrick thinks too ex to use ACEA A5/B5 Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 1

Thanks to TS, I found this discussion

https://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/31913-v40-d2-my-2013-engine-oil-specifications.html

For Diesel engine, by right its ACEA C-standard as Diesel engine requires low SAPS. This standard is similar to API CH-4 or higher.

But Volvo thinks that low fuel consumption outweigh the risk of choking DPF. Accordingly, ACEA A5/B5 is recommended.

SAPS will choke in DPF in the long run and can’t be re-gen.

Volvobrick thinks too ex to use ACEA A5/B5

Thanks

Meaning more ash if i use A5/B5 even? SHU which is A3/B4 will be worse than Castrol Edge in this aspect? [dead]

If use in short term aka one oil change should not damage DPF significantly right? But reduce service interval to be on the safe side?

Thanks

Meaning more ash if i use A5/B5 even? SHU which is A3/B4 will be worse than Castrol Edge in this aspect? [dead]

If use in short term aka one oil change should not damage DPF significantly right? But reduce service interval to be on the safe side?

A/B-standard oil has been used since day 1. SAPS will continues to cumulate on.

I don’t know where to find C1 & C4 oil.

A/B-standard oil has been used since day 1. SAPS will continues to cumulate on.

I don’t know where to find C1 & C4 oil.

Thank you..

I guess will switch to either shell ECT 0W30 or Castrol 5W40 C3 for next oil change. Hard to find A5/B5 let alone c+ standard.

Oil like quite headache.. Protect against heat.. use thicker oil.. but then have extra ash.. Hard to find the best of both worlds.

(edited)

Thank you..

I guess will switch to either shell ECT 0W30 or Castrol 5W40 C3 for next oil change. Hard to find A5/B5 let alone c+ standard.

Oil like quite headache.. Protect against heat.. use thicker oil.. but then have extra ash.. Hard to find the best of both worlds.

My friend is using Total Quartz Diesel 7000 10w-30. It cost SGD70 (oil only).

Supposed to do oil change every 5k km (it’s semi-syn oil). But always drag till 10k km.

Good quality Diesel EO is hard to find.

Ps. I found C1 & C4 oil

http://www.mxtradings.com/Fuchs.htm

Edited by Davidtch

Twincharged

tyre shop have :a-toast:

Yeah but some shops think they are smart. Use air gun and then followed by torque wrench to tighten. Ha. What’s the point.
↡ Advertisement