60k Diy car maintenance qn (engine oil/atf/ coolant)

Nick2342

Actually if you want to DIY on the car, you can go JB and try. Some workshops might just let you use their tools. Pay a small fee can liao.

↡ Advertisement

Mobil1 Extended Performance xw-30 is A5/B5.  Mxtrading has stock.

This cost more than twice the price of a good A3/B3 (and about 4-5 times that of Giant EO), thus it works out more cost effective to change at 10k instead of 20k....  [laugh]

For DIY oil change, better to get this, no need to jack up car (provided the filter is accessible from the top like most conti's and not below the engine):

post-128138-0-33046100-1559663028_thumb.jpg

Ah i see. Like the oil not going into seals/gaskets etc then not enough lubrication? But if slightly thicker wont be much of an issue? w30-40 is not much of a diff right?

Mine also around there, 10-15km during AD.. Now warranty finish hence trying to diy or 3rd party workshop if cannot in order to save cost.

Thicker oil will cause the oil pump to work harder and localized pressure build-up.

from 30 to 40 grade, I don't think is a problem though.

Borrow this thread, how do you guys dispose off the engine oil ?

U gotta put them in used oil containers.  I leave them outside my house.  Garang Guni man happy happy come collect.

Supersonic

U gotta put them in used oil containers. I leave them outside my house. Garang Guni man happy happy come collect.

I hope they know what they are getting and know how to dispose it off properly. Haha.

This cost more than twice the price of a good A3/B3 (and about 4-5 times that of Giant EO), thus it works out more cost effective to change at 10k instead of 20k.... [laugh]

For DIY oil change, better to get this, no need to jack up car (provided the filter is accessible from the top like most conti's and not below the engine):

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thicker oil will cause the oil pump to work harder and localized pressure build-up.

So what EO you use?

So what EO you use?

Bought Maxxus 5W30 5L off Lazada for 59. I need slightly more than 5L (have some leftover to top up), so this size suits me better vs 4L pack from other brands.

Hypersonic

You need to get your knowledge updated.

If engine clearance is designed for 30wt, any thicker oil will reduce the engine efficiency.

Go and read up on HTHS.

5w-30 can have the same HTHS as 0w-40.

The problem is many owners here, including workshop and AD still thinking that thicker oil is needed here.

Owner manual already clearly state w30 can be use here.

• Praise 3

60k is major servicing, not only just engine oil. A lot of inspection on tear-and-wear parts to do. Too many things to learn if you are first time doing it. I would think DIY should start on smaller scale, like 75k,135k, etc minor servicing.

Anyway, hope all goes well with your endeavor.

Not sure.. leaning more towards buying own oil and do at 3rd party as dont have the tools and space. It states 0W30 A5/B5 for adverse conditions. Thinking about using SHU 5W40 but is A3/B3.

Thanks. For ATF any ATF that conforms to the JWS3324 spec can use?

Yes. Make sure the spec sheet states that it meets the requirement of JWS3324.

I don’t think you can save much money if you are going to find a 3rd party to do it.

They buy their oil in bulk.

Buy an oil extractor from Aliexpress. Then no need to crawl under the car to let out the old oil.

Most of the cars you still need to go under to remove the oil filter.

This cost more than twice the price of a good A3/B3 (and about 4-5 times that of Giant EO), thus it works out more cost effective to change at 10k instead of 20k....  [laugh]

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Oil filter is in the middle, need to dismantle several  clamps and air pipe in order to access the oil filter housing. Not very accessible without tools.

Oil filter is in the middle, need to dismantle several  clamps and air pipe in order to access the oil filter housing. Not very accessible without tools.

Need basic tools lah - ratcheting socket set, adjustable wrench (must be big enough for the filter housing cap, I bought even 36mm socket as not much space for wrench), screwdriver - cannot bare hand de.

Air hoses are easy to remove (when cold).  You can take the opportunity to give them a thorough cleaning.  Just don't drop anything down below the engine bay.

The problem is many owners here, including workshop and AD still thinking that thicker oil is needed here.

Owner manual already clearly state w30 can be use here.

Yup, just that worried hot climate etc and high mileage, turbo and heavy foot, all these are a bad combination.. parts get worn and thicker oil may be of use to help protect worn engine parts. If new and low mileage should be okay using w30. Hence just looking for slightly thicker oil for that extra bit of protection.

Need basic tools lah - ratcheting socket set, adjustable wrench (must be big enough for the filter housing cap, I bought even 36mm socket as not much space for wrench), screwdriver - cannot bare hand de.

Air hoses are easy to remove (when cold).  You can take the opportunity to give them a thorough cleaning.  Just don't drop anything down below the engine bay.

Oh i see.. Thanks! is there a place where can buy? Homefix etc can get from there?

Actually, not really confident in doing it myself although i want to refresh/learn and be more hands on. last i did was almost 2 years ago at school and on a different car. If anything gg will be bigger repair bill from ws.

You can get all these basic tools at neighbourhood hardware stores, or when contractors go (e,g, Enterprise Centre ground floor at Toh Guan) at more reasonable prices. or order from Aliexpress.

• Praise 1

Yup, just that worried hot climate etc and high mileage, turbo and heavy foot, all these are a bad combination.. parts get worn and thicker oil may be of use to help protect worn engine parts. If new and low mileage should be okay using w30. Hence just looking for slightly thicker oil for that extra bit of protection.

If pickup truck can use 10w-30 semi syn, i find it strange that passenger car can't use 30wt oil.

My fren pickup truck (not Singapore truck) did a EGR bypass.  The engine will be hotter than usual.

You can get all these basic tools at neighbourhood hardware stores, or when contractors go (e,g, Enterprise Centre ground floor at Toh Guan) at more reasonable prices. or order from Aliexpress.

I believe @mustank fav Horme got better selection of tools.

I believe @mustank fav Horme got better selection of tools.

Horme one is premium one hor :XD:
↡ Advertisement