Vietnam issues statement on Singapore PM’s speech

Zxcvb

Turbocharged

Firstly, I don't affiliate myself with any political party. Only policies that, in my view, work.

Of course, I like some politicians more than others, but no politician or person is always right. Not LKY, not LHL, not anybody.

What I cannot understand about the posts so far is why some are so quick to conclude that what LHL said is wrong/fake? Why is the statement that Vietnam has issued to be believed, over LHL?

Whatever it is..he could still have written a neutral speech and toed the lines. Controversial and grey areas we can skip, skip. We need friends rather than more frenemies. Why stir a hornets nest?

Everytime our ministers make diplo mistakes then we shout "dun bully" small country? I think not right.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Twincharged

Firstly, I don't affiliate myself with any political party. Only policies that, in my view, work.

Of course, I like some politicians more than others, but no politician or person is always right. Not LKY, not LHL, not anybody.

What I cannot understand about the posts so far is why some are so quick to conclude that what LHL said is wrong/fake? Why is the statement that Vietnam has issued to be believed, over LHL?

Even he is right, best still dont say lah. Why go stir up a honet's nest.

Maybe he wants our US$9b VSIP JV to up lorry...anyway, not his money hor....

Cheers....

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Ya man, calling a spade a spade does not always work well.

If stand up for truth, some will say got guts. Others say insensitive.

If wayang and beautify truth, some say no backbone, dare not say the truth, coward. Others say this is great statesmanship.

ððð Vietnam getting strong cos of trade wars. Wan to flex some muscles and test test ground with our little red dot to see how far it can go.

For me, truth stands the test of time. Vietnam can rewrite its history books, like Japan. But invasion is real.

Perhaps a short and sweet tribute for the departed like "He was a leader worthy of his country."

Vietnam, dun bully us.

Safe ride

Cheers

Expressing concern over some caustic remarks is called bullying?

(edited)

Whatever it is..he could still have written a neutral speech and toed the lines. Controversial and grey areas we can skip, skip. We need friends rather than more frenemies. Why stir a hornets nest?

Everytime our ministers make diplo mistakes then we shout "dun bully" small country? I think not right.

reminds me of this video...... Edited by Evillusion
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

bro....one word....Diplomacy! We all know what happened....the killings, the progroms but that was more than 3 decades ago! Those involved are now most likely dead....no need to exhume what had transpired. It would have sound better if it reads, 'Prem was a stalwart against forces of chaos and anarchy'. No need to remind others of their 'shameful' past as if the genocide is still happening.

Sorry bro. I disagree.

Just as Dr M's misdeeds are repeated and shared many times over, during his decades long leadership, i say diplomacy is just a poor excuse.

If the departed did all those to be where he was, those are his "medals" and obviously over a period of ago time.

Genocide must not ever be sugar coated, like the holocaust, for diplomacy. The world MUST remember the senseless loss of lives. Diplomacy my foot.

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Supercharged

theres this famous saying right.. "if you don't have anything better to say, its better to shut up".. 

a simple condolences suffice.. the rest are simple just putting up a target board and tell people to shoot here.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

The truth?

Most can’t handle the truth.

Do we go around telling China they should reflect on the Tiananmen incident bla bla bla......

Dun try to carry the beacon of righteousness and democracy when you are also soiled. Politicians are elected and paid to do a job and diplomacy ranks highly on the list. Another face palm utterance to me.

Peace out.

• Praise 7

Sorry bro. I disagree.

Just as Dr M's misdeeds are repeated and shared many times over, during his decades long leadership, i say diplomacy is just a poor excuse.

If the departed did all those to be where he was, those are his "medals" and obviously over a period of ago time.

Genocide must not ever be sugar coated, like the holocaust, for diplomacy. The world MUST remember the senseless loss of lives. Diplomacy my foot.

Turbocharged

Firstly my contention is with regard to any allegation that what LHL has said is wrong/fake. This is as opposed to whether what he has said is tactful.

LHL talked about what ASEAN previously came together to oppose. To say it is fake news is to say that ASEAN never so came together.

As for whether LHL has been tactful or diplomatic, I am not a diplomat, neither am I trained that way, but from my perspective, if someone or some country wants to be offended, it will find a way to be offended. Here we have Vietnam taking offence to what LHL has said and I see posts leaping to side with Vietnam. Really? LHL should not have said what he said because Vietnam will be offended? I am sure there is some official record/description of what ASEAN opposed back in the day, is LHL's description of it now, that far off? Are we so cowered or so low-standing as a country that LHL cannot say what he has said because it may offend Vietnam? 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

theres this famous saying right.. "if you don't have anything better to say, its better to shut up"..

a simple condolences suffice.. the rest are simple just putting up a target board and tell people to shoot here.

Another saying "cock say cock story, hen say hen story"

Anyone can choose to pick a fight or create a din out of anything, even silence.

Reading thru the text of his condolence msg, personally find nothing offensive. In fact well written. Perhaps like u suggest, he should have sent in a blank page to represent he has nothing good to say?

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 1

Situation like this, there is no right or wrong.. because either way, people will comment about his remarks.

Whether to uphold truth or diplomatic, only the person who say it knows his agenda.

End of the day, he just have to take the consequences of his remarks...

Twincharged
(edited)

PM speech writer has to be more sensitive.

Many times, what seems to be perfectly legitimate to some can be totally rubbish to another. That's how the reality works. A nicer word is called politics.

Sometimes just short and sweet is the best, no need to talk about accomplishment, what kind of friendship, what war went though and etc. All these are all uncessery information. Sometimes these uncessery information may end up piss off that person for whatever reasons. Like maybe the person felt its bias, or the person felt the information is not that accurate or does not reflect as true person and etc. Edited by Yewheng

Supersonic

quite true bro.....but these events are best kept in the history books for the future to reflect on but not in an open tribute letter....its kinda low blow if it was a rival but Vietnam is slowly opening up and certainly their isnt any hostilities between us and them. I was serving NS when Cambodia was invaded by Vietnam who fought the Khmer Rouge which if i am not wrong was doing all the initial genocide.

Frankly, i see no intended blow, low or high.

That's my point and probably why we differ in tots. Still i agree to disagree ya. To me no wrong. To u and others, got wrong. Lets see how this is wrapped up. Maybe Vietnam wants to build a bridge to link us closer then see got chance to er....make Singapore a bigger place

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Hmmm... then how come Thailand never come out statement in support of what our PM Lee had posted??

• Praise 1

Frankly, i see no intended blow, low or high.

That's my point and probably why we differ in tots. Still i agree to disagree ya. To me no wrong. To u and others, got wrong. Lets see how this is wrapped up. Maybe Vietnam wants to build a bridge to link us closer then see got chance to er....make Singapore a bigger place

Sometimes just short and sweet is the best, no need to talk about accomplishment, what kind of friendship, what war went though and etc. All these are all uncessery information. Sometimes these uncessery information may end up piss off that person for whatever reasons. Like maybe the person felt its bias, or the person felt the information is not that accurate or does not reflect as true person and etc.

Vietnam official reason was to help Cambodian in getting rid of the Khmer Rouge who had murdered their own for years......so to Vietnam they are the saviours. Back then ou ns thought us that our enemy would be carrying 7.62mm ak47s and rpgs.....we were even told to handle and feel these weapons......great right?

Suppose you didn't know who trained and sponsored Khmer Rouge.

i know...i know.......at first it was China and Viet cong and after Vietnam invasion.....GBR and its allies!

Supersonic

Suppose you didn't know who trained and sponsored Khmer Rouge.

In context of this topic is it relevant or important?

Safe ride

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1