China's Huawei signs deal to develop 5G in Russia

StreetFight3r

MOSCOW: China's Huawei, considered a security threat in the US, on Wednesday (Jun 5) signed a deal with Russian telecoms company MTS to develop a 5G network in the country over the next year,

The agreement was signed on the sidelines of a meeting between Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow.

The deal will see "the development of 5G technologies and the pilot launch of fifth generation networks in 2019-2020", MTS said in a statement.

Quoted in the statement, Huawei's Guo Ping, said he was "very happy" with the agreement "in an area of strategic importance like 5G".

The Chinese telecom giant has been in turmoil since May, when the Trump administration banned US companies from selling high-tech equipment to Huawei over suspicions it is spying for Beijing.

Experts say the US decision, to come into force within three months, threatens the survival of the company, which is highly dependent on US chips for its phones.

Several companies have already distanced themselves from Huawei, including Google, whose Android system equips the vast majority of smartphones in the world.

Huawei's reported potential involvement in Britain's 5G network has proved politically sensitive and Theresa May's government insists no decision has been made on the issue.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/china-s-huawei-signs-deal-to-develop-5g-in-russia-11600008

post-141090-0-74684000-1559778667_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

What Trump has done has effectively restarted the cold war. This one will potentially be a lot worse than the previous one.

He's also likely split the Internet and telecommunications architecture of the world into two parts, which will evolve separately.

Goodbye, unified world.

• Praise 6

Supersonic

What Trump has done has effectively restarted the cold war. This one will potentially be a lot worse than the previous one.

He's also likely split the Internet and telecommunications architecture of the world into two parts, which will evolve separately.

Goodbye, unified world.

Actually, the unified world is coming, just need to see who will be its new leader.

5G will unite us all

• Praise 1

Actually, the unified world is coming, just need to see who will be its new leader.

i think US will be the last sole super power.

china is rising but i doubt it will reach the height of US when at her peak.

Turbocharged

Goodbye, unified world.

Time to stock up gold

Neutral Newbie

They share over 4,000km of common border. Better to be friends than not.

According to the record, there is little chance to be REAL friends like friends on the basis of certain value. However, they can cover each other's back. 

I don't think China will go to War over the 5G issue, America is always threatening when Trump is in Power . . . Highly Unlikely. I mean it's Stupid to waste money over WW3 and China has never ever spent a single dollar on it.

(edited)

If USA goes to War with China, Russia confirm join in and hoots USA gao gao. UK want to help also useless now.

3p

Edited by Mockngbrd

Turbocharged

I don't think China will go to War over the 5G issue, America is always threatening when Trump is in Power . . . Highly Unlikely. I mean it's Stupid to waste money over WW3 and China has never ever spent a single dollar on it.

LJ lah, trump is just a spoil brat trying to act bully. Once real fight, sure humji

Don't need WW3, just proxy wars in many of the hot spots in Asia. US has a lot of experience.

Hypersonic

China and Russia, they each know each other better than anyone else in this world. 

It will be scary when they join hands, but the good thing is they will break up the relationship before the  most scary thing happens. It depends on who wants out and marry Americans first, the final winner may just be the Russians.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1