XC40 T5 Momentum (2018) est. $170k

250bhp 350Nm

0-100 in 6.4s

8 speed torque converter

AWD

Longest wheelbase

City Safety

Biggest in it's segment

Just sharing my 2 cents worth of comparison.

So the launching price is $190 or $180?

So the launching price is $190 or $180?

Or $170?

GLA250 (FL in 2017) est. $180k

211bhp 350Nm

0-100 in 7.2s

7 speed dual clutch

FWD

X1 sDrive20i (2nd gen 2015) est. $174k

192bhp 280Nm

0-100 in 7.7s

8 speed torque converter

FWD

Q3 2.0 TFSI (FL in 2016) est. $180k

180bhp 320Nm

0-100 in 7.6s

7 speed dual clutch

AWD

XC40 T5 Momentum (2018) est. $170k

250bhp 350Nm

0-100 in 6.4s

8 speed torque converter

AWD

Longest wheelbase

City Safety

Biggest in it's segment

Just sharing my 2 cents worth of comparison.

Which car has highest OMV?

if T5 too expensive, then wait for the T4 FWD

I heard there will be a T3 FWD instead... i think it's a 1.5-litre 3 cylinders turbo engine with dual-clutch gearbox.

Supercharged

I heard there will be a T3 FWD instead... i think it's a 1.5-litre 3 cylinders turbo engine with dual-clutch gearbox.

i think u r tokking about this

post-1698-0-56275000-1515862445_thumb.jpg

was supposed to be the most powerful engine, but now the T5 is just petrol.

doubt less powerful engines later would get a dual-clutch gearbox; u dun see any T2/T3/T4 with dual-clutch.

Edited by Eyke

i think u r tokking about this

5.jpg

was supposed to be the most powerful engine, but now the T5 is just petrol.

doubt less powerful engines later would get a dual-clutch gearbox; u dun see any T2/T3/T4 with dual-clutch.

There is a new trend for European cars to use dual clutch transmissions (DCT) with less powerful engines. The logic behind is that DCTs are more efficient, but it is expensive and bulky to make them handle high amounts of torque. So it is actually easier to put them with less powerful engines. Less powerful engines will also lose less (precious) power through a DCT.

The latest batch of x1 18i already starting to use DCTs. Same as the new Mini Coopers and Renault.

Supercharged

test driven:

pros: good NVH - superb suspension soaked up bumps to MB-standard

cons:

* high CoG means rolly feel on change of direction (but guess is std crossover/SUV thing)

* steering wheel looks and feels horrible (deal-breaker for me, can't imagine having to hold that irritating thing everyday)

* 360 deg reverse cam & Active Bending Lights are indent-basis options (6 mths lead time)

* beige/orange interior felt colour prob get dirty easily

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 3

test driven:

cons:

* high CoG means rolly feel on change of direction (but guess is std crossover/SUV thing)

* steering wheel looks and feels horrible (deal-breaker for me, can't imagine having to hold that irritating thing everyday)

* 360 deg reverse cam & Active Bending Lights are indent-basis options (6 mths lead time)

will you buy at that price or think about it first if you were buying another ride.

test driven:

cons:

Thanks for the feedback. How muchie?

it's not a trend at Volvo.

but we'll see in a few months when they announce the T4/T3/T2.

Not true, as far as I can remember, Volvo has been putting Ford’s Powershift gear box on Volvo C30, V40 and S60, on T2, D2 and T5 variants. Powershift is dual-clutch transmission gearbox.

Supercharged

Not true, as far as I can remember, Volvo has been putting Fordâs Powershift gear box on Volvo C30, V40 and S60, on T2, D2 and T5 variants. Powershift is dual-clutch transmission gearbox.

since divorce with Ford, now no more using Ford's PowerShift

thanks for letting me know!

based on the feedback all of you have given, it would suggest that wearnes is not as upfront as we would like in how they market/price their cars!

can the 2.0L T4 engine can be tuned closer to a T5 spec?  or is it just better to pay for a T5 upfront?

i am not interested in taking the loan, so i guess i would need to negotiate really hard with wearnes for a good price if i really intend to get a car from them...

thanks!

They are downright sleazy. Below is a letter I wrote to Wearnes Volvo GM, which is also in another thread:

Dear Ms Sng,

Your dishonesty mars the Volvo brand name

My wife bought a Volvo S60 from Wearnes Automotive in the month of July 2017.  Allow me recount to you our buying experience.

On Friday 7 July 2017, I called Wearnes Auto with regard to a promotional advertisement. I spoke to your sales person, Richard Chua Keng Yak. I specifically asked if the Volvo S60 on offer was used for test drives. He said it wasn’t. He said it was a showroom unit and it was the sole unit left on offer. That same evening, my wife and I came over to your showroom at Alexandra Road. We only found out later that it was, in fact, used for test drives. Because the mileage was low, we did not make a fuss about it. One thing led to another, and my wife placed a deposit for the car. After we got home, I sent an SMS to Richard Chua to remind him to put our car away and to not use it for test drives any longer. Sensing that he was non-committal, I then spoke with him over the phone. He told me (I have a recording of  our conversation) that he needed to speak with his manager for permission not to use our car for test drives, and that he could only talk to his manager the following week. When Wearnes Auto accepted a deposit from my wife and agreed to sell her the car, the car in question belonged to her. Wearnes Auto had absolutely no right to keep using it as it saw fit without expressed permission from my wife. But Richard Chua disagreed with me, and said that the company will keep using the car for test drives.

The next morning, Saturday 8 July, we went to your showroom at Alexandra Road to confront Richard. He had plenty to say. That likely came from three decades of lying and and making up things as a Volvo car sales person. My wife ended up getting a new Volvo S60 instead of the test drive car. Over the course of the following week, we found out that the OCBC bank was only charging an interest rate of 2.75% for car loans. My wife called OCBC and was told that OCBC was not lending directly to individual car buyers, but depending on the duration of the loan and the car distributor, it usually was lower than 2.75%. My wife asked Richard why she was made to pay 2.8% for her car loan when other car distributors were charging not more that 2.50%, with Komoco being the lowest, at only 1.98%. Richard threatened to deny her the maintenance and warranty for the car if she wanted a lower interest for the loan. She then tried to speak to Edi Teo, the sales manager at Volvo, whose business card we asked from the receptionist during one of the visits. The mobile number on his card was NOT even in use, and the direct line to his office was perpetually put on voice recording.  

In your stable of car brands, Wearnes Auto provides Renault cars with 5 yrs warranty and 3 years of complimentary scheduled maintenance; Jaguar 5 years warranty and 5 years complimentary scheduled maintenance; and Range Rover 3 years warranty and 5 years complimentary scheduled maintenance. These are listed on your websites. For Volvo cars, warranty is for just 3 years. The complimentary scheduled maintenance is only given with many terms and conditions, some of which are only told when asked. Unsuspecting customers who made the mistake of putting down a deposit for a car, are then held hostage to those conditions.

The last straw was with the Euro VI certification. As with the test drive car and the new car, one of the first things we asked Richard Chua was if they met Euro VI specifications. Richard’s answer was, without hesitation, affirmative for both. Yesterday, my wife received a notification of registration for her car from the Land Transport Authority. On it was stated that the Volvo S60 was Euro V, and not Euro VI as Richard had lied about. Euro VI certification was important for us. My wife would not have bought this car had Richard Chua not been dishonest. She probably would have waited for an S60 with Euro VI certification. We will raise this issue with the relevant authorities. The car-buying public too, deserves to know your shameful business conduct so that they will not be fleeced.  

Buying a car from Wearnes Auto is akin to buying from used car dealers. It’s sleazy and underhanded right from the beginning. You cheat, insult, and lie to the very people who might have been proud owners of  Volvo cars, and treat them shabbily and with such disrespect. You levy extortionate interest rate for the compulsory car loan. Your staff hand out business cards of your sales manager whose mobile number was not in use. Your telephone number, 64731488, is never answered, except for the extension for new car sale enquiry. All these are very telling of your business practises and ethics. They leave a very sour taste in the mouth. -

When honesty will always carry the day, something is very wrong when Volvo has to resort to cheating and lying to sell their cars. It tarnishes the brand name in ways that you cannot immediately quantify. -

Edited by roughrider
  • Praise 1

They are downright sleazy. Below is a letter I wrote to Wearnes Volvo GM, which is also in another thread:

Dear Ms Sng,

Your dishonesty mars the Volvo brand name

My wife bought a Volvo S60 from Wearnes Automotive in the month of July 2017.  Allow me recount to you our buying experience.

On Friday 7 July 2017, I called Wearnes Auto with regard to a promotional advertisement. I spoke to your sales person, Richard Chua Keng Yak. I specifically asked if the Volvo S60 on offer was used for test drives. He said it wasn’t. He said it was a showroom unit and it was the sole unit left on offer. That same evening, my wife and I came over to your showroom at Alexandra Road. We only found out later that it was, in fact, used for test drives. Because the mileage was low, we did not make a fuss about it. One thing led to another, and my wife placed a deposit for the car. After we got home, I sent an SMS to Richard Chua to remind him to put our car away and to not use it for test drives any longer. Sensing that he was non-committal, I then spoke with him over the phone. He told me (I have a recording of  our conversation) that he needed to speak with his manager for permission not to use our car for test drives, and that he could only talk to his manager the following week. When Wearnes Auto accepted a deposit from my wife and agreed to sell her the car, the car in question belonged to her. Wearnes Auto had absolutely no right to keep using it as it saw fit without expressed permission from my wife. But Richard Chua disagreed with me, and said that the company will keep using the car for test drives.

The next morning, Saturday 8 July, we went to your showroom at Alexandra Road to confront Richard. He had plenty to say. That likely came from three decades of lying and and making up things as a Volvo car sales person. My wife ended up getting a new Volvo S60 instead of the test drive car. Over the course of the following week, we found out that the OCBC bank was only charging an interest rate of 2.75% for car loans. My wife called OCBC and was told that OCBC was not lending directly to individual car buyers, but depending on the duration of the loan and the car distributor, it usually was lower than 2.75%. My wife asked Richard why she was made to pay 2.8% for her car loan when other car distributors were charging not more that 2.50%, with Komoco being the lowest, at only 1.98%. Richard threatened to deny her the maintenance and warranty for the car if she wanted a lower interest for the loan. She then tried to speak to Edi Teo, the sales manager at Volvo, whose business card we asked from the receptionist during one of the visits. The mobile number on his card was NOT even in use, and the direct line to his office was perpetually put on voice recording.  

In your stable of car brands, Wearnes Auto provides Renault cars with 5 yrs warranty and 3 years of complimentary scheduled maintenance; Jaguar 5 years warranty and 5 years complimentary scheduled maintenance; and Range Rover 3 years warranty and 5 years complimentary scheduled maintenance. These are listed on your websites. For Volvo cars, warranty is for just 3 years. The complimentary scheduled maintenance is only given with many terms and conditions, some of which are only told when asked. Unsuspecting customers who made the mistake of putting down a deposit for a car, are then held hostage to those conditions.

The last straw was with the Euro VI certification. As with the test drive car and the new car, one of the first things we asked Richard Chua was if they met Euro VI specifications. Richard’s answer was, without hesitation, affirmative for both. Yesterday, my wife received a notification of registration for her car from the Land Transport Authority. On it was stated that the Volvo S60 was Euro V, and not Euro VI as Richard had lied about. Euro VI certification was important for us. My wife would not have bought this car had Richard Chua not been dishonest. She probably would have waited for an S60 with Euro VI certification. We will raise this issue with the relevant authorities. The car-buying public too, deserves to know your shameful business conduct so that they will not be fleeced.  

Buying a car from Wearnes Auto is akin to buying from used car dealers. It’s sleazy and underhanded right from the beginning. You cheat, insult, and lie to the very people who might have been proud owners of  Volvo cars, and treat them shabbily and with such disrespect. You levy extortionate interest rate for the compulsory car loan. Your staff hand out business cards of your sales manager whose mobile number was not in use. Your telephone number, 64731488, is never answered, except for the extension for new car sale enquiry. All these are very telling of your business practises and ethics. They leave a very sour taste in the mouth. -

When honesty will always carry the day, something is very wrong when Volvo has to resort to cheating and lying to sell their cars. It tarnishes the brand name in ways that you cannot immediately quantify. -

Sorry to hear about this but as long as the car is not registered to your name it's still belong to the showroom. I have experience also regarding equiring test drive car. As long as  COE and loan not secured they will not pull the car from the test drive status, same with other brands. That's why I don't like buying test drive car except it got some serious discount literarrily like buying second hand car.

Well even they same group, I also had experience infinity SE said something not nice about Volvo. At the end of they SE need to sell car for them to earn $$$.

Supercharged

will you buy at that price or think about it first if you were buying another ride.

the steering wheel too irritating, u hold it 9-3 then u'll realise.

so, no won't buy.

↡ Advertisement