Incident/accident with PMD

I almost kena one today. GrabFood rider came out of side road very fast, cut right in front of my car. And then he went on to show me middle finger...? 🧐

Unfortunately didn't capture on car cam, but I was like WTF?

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Have dedicated lanes for PMDs

My heart goes out to the family of the woman who was involved in an accident with an e-scooter and died (65-year-old woman injured in Bedok e-scooter accident dies in hospital, Sept 25).

I have a grandmother who often goes out to buy food and encounters many errant personal mobility device (PMD) users who speed past her on the pathways.

She was almost knocked down by one such speeding rider. I am afraid such serious accidents caused by PMDs may reoccur and seriously injure someone else, including my loved ones. Although there are stipulated areas where PMDs can and cannot be used, the Government should reconsider and dedicate a common area where PMDs should be used.

Dedicated cycling paths for PMDs and bicycles should be created on the roads. By doing this, the risk of accidents will decrease. People will then not need to worry about their safety while PMD users will be able to manoeuvre with peace of mind.

Clive Chua Kai An, 17

Secondary 4 student

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Have dedicated lanes for PMDs

My heart goes out to the family of the woman who was involved in an accident with an e-scooter and died (65-year-old woman injured in Bedok e-scooter accident dies in hospital, Sept 25).

I have a grandmother who often goes out to buy food and encounters many errant personal mobility device (PMD) users who speed past her on the pathways.

She was almost knocked down by one such speeding rider. I am afraid such serious accidents caused by PMDs may reoccur and seriously injure someone else, including my loved ones. Although there are stipulated areas where PMDs can and cannot be used, the Government should reconsider and dedicate a common area where PMDs should be used.

Dedicated cycling paths for PMDs and bicycles should be created on the roads. By doing this, the risk of accidents will decrease. People will then not need to worry about their safety while PMD users will be able to manoeuvre with peace of mind.

Clive Chua Kai An, 17

Secondary 4 student

Building dedicated lanes will cut down such incidents for sure , but there is no way to have dedicated lanes everywher, moreover  building dedicated lanes will take time. But if this is good for all, then a decision has to be made fast. 

To ban  PMDs may be  the most effective way out now but it has a economy and social impact, it affects people's daily commute and it affects livelihood of grabfood  people and alike. But if it is necessary,  we may have to make that  painful decision to start from scratch, imagine how did the society survive when escooter was not so popular 5 years ago ? Frankly while I knownwhat is the effective way but I myself do not know what would be the balanced solution. Meantime, other than public education and awareness, the authority  has to come out something harsh to punish those irresponsible riders and to step up more checks and enforcement on the streets.  The authority has to do something fast and decisive, procrastinating will do more harm than good. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
47 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Building dedicated lanes will cut down such incidents for sure , but there is no way to have dedicated lanes everywher, moreover  building dedicated lanes will take time. But if this is good for all, then a decision has to be made fast. 

To ban  PMDs may be  the most effective way out now but it has a economy and social impact, it affects people's daily commute and it affects livelihood of grabfood  people and alike. But if it is necessary,  we may have to make that  painful decision to start from scratch, imagine how did the society survive when escooter was not so popular 5 years ago ? Frankly while I knownwhat is the effective way but I myself do not know what would be the balanced solution. Meantime, other than public education and awareness, the authority  has to come out something harsh to punish those irresponsible riders and to step up more checks and enforcement on the streets.  The authority has to do something fast and decisive, procrastinating will do more harm than good. 

You think so?  I always say,  blame the player,  not the game. They are told to stay on the pathways... But not really happening... 

3 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

You think so?  I always say,  blame the player,  not the game. They are told to stay on the pathways... But not really happening... 

No easy way out, there will always be inconsiderate people, this is where enforcement and heavier penalties will help reduce such occurance. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

No easy way out, there will always be inconsiderate people, this is where enforcement and heavier penalties will help reduce such occurance. 

Agreed! We have all the laws already. Up the penalty! Send that Yishun-AMK guy and all the rest of the offenders to spend time in Changi! See who dare to continue riding recklessly!

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Agreed! We have all the laws already. Up the penalty! Send that Yishun-AMK guy and all the rest of the offenders to spend time in Changi! See who dare to continue riding recklessly!

We don't have effective enforcement unless govt willing to spend money on CCTV & AI.

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

We don't have effective enforcement unless govt willing to spend money on CCTV & AI.

Don't need enforcement.

If you face mandatory jail time for owning an illegal PMD or for using an e-scooter on the road or for negligently hitting a pedestrian, would you dare to do it?

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Don't need enforcement.

If you face mandatory jail time for owning an illegal PMD or for using an e-scooter on the road or for negligently hitting a pedestrian, would you dare to do it?

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/AMA2017

Currently, those offences you mentioned involved jail time.

• Praise 1

Just now, Volvobrick said:

Then the court should actually send culprits to jail. All max sentences and discount only for exceptional cases. Like lau sai (with evidence to show in the pants). 

Since court should do it, why has it not done so?

So he thinks by issuing this warning , the street will become very safe and there will be no more PMD related fires tomorrie? What if there is one more severe PMD incident  or one more PMD related fire after his warning ? Is he really going to ban PMD? Serious ? 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pmds-e-scooter-could-be-banned-rider-behaviour-improve-janil-11975728

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I took a quick look at the Act, it's always fine or imprisonment. I am saying let's have prison time for the first offence. 

I don't think there will be any change as most ppl don't know the law.  Maybe after someone kenna jailed

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

I don't think there will be any change as most ppl don't know the law.  Maybe after someone kenna jailed

Aiyo please lah, if ever the penalties can be upped, you think our government cannot or don't know how to communicate this to the masses? 

Who claims he don't know the diabetes campaign? Who doesn't know smoking is prohibited in certain areas? Who doesn't know vaping is illegal?

Is the PMD issue any less urgent?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1