Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

i wonder will some of the protestors in their desperation use more extreme method eg. lorry to ramp it thru the police line. 

China so far has been very careful not to get the PLA involved. It will just complicate their trade war with the US if PLA cramp down on the protestors cos the US & friends will be pressured to 'punish' China with sanctions. 

Edited by Silver_blade
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Is this only for women?

Only women takes the husband surname after marriage mah. 

There are also women in SG who uses it this way. I had a teacher also like that, I think we always call her Mrs Chan-Lim.  They use their Husband surname in front followed by their full name. 

Actually I think this is quite confusing in SG, as in the title MR and MRS. 

Technically if a woman wants to use MRS, then she sld be using her husband full name and not the surname followed by her own name, like if you are Mr La La 81, your wife sld be address as Mrs La la 81, and not Mrs Mary La or Mrs La Ma Li., because she is the Mrs of Mr La La 81, and not the Mrs of Mary La. 

If she wants to remain address as Mary, then she should use the title Madam Mary Soh. 

Or she can use Mrs La-Mary Soh, then ppl will know she is Mary Soh, but she is also Mrs La. 

Like I always see ppl address themselves as Mrs Mary Tan, Mrs Irene Ng, I always wonder if their husbands are name  Mary and Irene....

Men will forever remain as Mr, unless mid life go cut, then have to change to Miss... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

i wonder will some of the protestors in their desperation use more extreme method eg. lorry to ramp it thru the police line.

China so far has been very careful not to get the PLA involved. It will just complicate their trade war with the US if PLA cramp down on the protestors cos the US & friends will be pressured to 'punish' China with sanctions.

Currently China has been deemed currency manipulator.

It can’t afford to be on the wrong side of US-HK policy act.

• Praise 1

Only women takes the husband surname after marriage mah.

There are also women in SG who uses it this way. I had a teacher also like that, I think we always call her Mrs Chan-Lim. They use their Husband surname in front followed by their full name.

Actually I think this is quite confusing in SG, as in the title MR and MRS.

Technically if a woman wants to use MRS, then she sld be using her husband full name and not the surname followed by her own name, like if you are Mr La La 81, your wife sld be address as Mrs La la 81, and not Mrs Mary La or Mrs La Ma Li., because she is the Mrs of Mr La La 81, and not the Mrs of Mary La.

If she wants to remain address as Mary, then she should use the title Madam Mary Soh.

Or she can use Mrs La-Mary Soh, then ppl will know she is Mary Soh, but she is also Mrs La.

Like I always see ppl address themselves as Mrs Mary Tan, Mrs Irene Ng, I always wonder if their husbands are name Mary and Irene....

Men will forever remain as Mr, unless mid life go cut, then have to change to Miss... [:p][laugh][laugh]

It’s not confusing la.

Mrs definitely with hubby surname or hubby + maiden surname.

Madam definitely with maiden surname.

Omg.. I didn't expect that.

If someone in his position can write something like this... wtf does that say about Singapore academia and legal minds...

Wow.. I always thought that showing up in a big group, using threat of violence and disrupting people's business are gangster tactics. Now then i learn that its called democracy and freedom of expression. Sorry for my ignorance.

Hong Kong protesters call off Harbour City disruption after shopping centre’s owners ban police unless crime is being committed

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3022032/hong-kong-mall-owner-bows-protester-pressure-and-bans

• Praise 4

Wow.. I always thought that showing up in a big group, using threat of violence and disrupting people's business are gangster tactics. Now then i learn that its called democracy and freedom of expression. Sorry for my ignorance.

Hong Kong protesters call off Harbour City disruption after shopping centre’s owners ban police unless crime is being committed

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3022032/hong-kong-mall-owner-bows-protester-pressure-and-bans

If I am HK police, I will deploy my people elsewhere since they have officially made such a request. They are also responsible for public unrest and should be responsible for any incidents where public safety is risked since they made such a request and have prepared for this. They also cannot expect by blowing a whistle, the police will suddenly appear in front of them to rescue them.

All HK rioters you have a new playground. Please go there  [:p] I hope this will be the case otherwise, there is some cohort between them. 

• Praise 2

If I am HK police, I will deploy my people elsewhere since they have officially made such a request. They are also responsible for public unrest and should be responsible for any incidents where public safety is risked since they made such a request and have prepared for this. They also cannot expect by blowing a whistle, the police will suddenly appear in front of them to rescue them.

All HK rioters you have a new playground. Please go there  [:p] I hope this will be the case otherwise, there is some cohort between them. 

The rioters are experts in History man, they learn from the 50s-60s, mah. [thumbsup]

Malls "pay protection money" in a form of cutting ties with the police, the rioters will "take care of their business" by not going there to kajiao them. Otherwise everyday go protest and riot in their mall, police can only do that much to help. 

but then again, mayb now is the best time to go rob the malls.... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 4

Hong Kong protesters call off Harbour City disruption after shopping centreâs owners ban police unless crime is being committed

No police ——> no demonstration?

sounds like joker needs Batman

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

CB Ang Mo again.... not surprise they got a hand in the mess.... they do such thing is ok, normal.... imagine China do it in US.... sure kena CIA, FBI, NSA label them as security threat, terrorist....

• Praise 7

HKPF appoints former DCP for temporary additional role in managing security for October 1st. You can expect that the unrests will continue way into October, or at least that's how CL sees it. DCPs can only be appointed by CE.

https://news.mingpao.com/ins/港聞/article/20190809/s00001/1565316733607/劉業成獲委任臨時警務處副處長即日生效

Read that he sibei fierce 1.

5 demands.

• a full withdrawal of a proposed bill that would allow Hong Kong people to be extradited to mainland China
  • a retraction of any characterization of the movement as a “riot”
  • a retraction of charges against anti-extradition protesters
  • an independent committee to investigate the Hong Kong police’s use of force
  • universal suffrage in elections for the city’s chief executive officer and legislature by 2020

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/09/hong-kong-international-airport-sit-in-to-add-to-day-of-mass-protests.html

Yup. The law is not applicable when we are involved. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I believe he was in charged during Occupy and Umbrella. The pan-democrats are saying it will intensify things with the protesters. But then, I think they are just ranting, and it's no difference with the protesters.

It could, however, point to some form of power struggle within HKPF though, that either CCP or CL (most likely the former) doesn't like what the current HKPF CP is doing, so they drop in a retired DCP to take over. It is unprecedented in HKPF to have three DCPs. 

Currently, HKPF is too soft (from CCP perspective).  Very likely CCP directive since their representatives have been watching the situation from SZ.

• Praise 1