Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

[bigcry] the realities of being a small nation.

first do singapore no harm... we dont pay them sky high salaries to make pork soup jokes and middle kingdom speeches unnecessarily. whatever their real tots (or self importance) may be, sometimes no need to shout.

did you notice kishore said much less.. only basically that we should be more measured in what we said wrt larger nations. and he really kenna for it.. all come out shoot him though he is one of the few seen as a "thinker" outside of singapore establishment., not ownself praise ownself type.

has sg position changed ... or just some people can say ... some people cannot say. [lipsrsealed]

I think in your books, the salaries we are shelling out to the ministers is for one thing only, keep China happy or at least avoid pissing them off.

Say something and China ignores/does not react = ok to say.

Say something and China takes exception = the remarks were unacceptable and we should not have said it.

Really?

↡ Advertisement

Not many people outside of HK really understood the situation Hongkongers are facing. They have been suppressed badly and the extradition bill is merely a catalyst that triggered all the emotions within them.

Singaporeans can work hard to afford a HDB and with grants. However, Hong Kong govt sold their soul to property moguls for money. No matter how hard the younger gen work, many will never ever be able to afford to buy their own house. That's including professionals. If they are lucky, a shoebox apt. That's only maybe. Queue for public housing is years and years, almost impossible.

Since HK returned to China, 150 mainlanders are shipped to HK everyday. That is no small number. They are given the benefits and accommodation that were meant for ordinary citizens.

For many, the future is already bleak. With China on the horizon, future gen will have it even tougher. Maybe no future to speak of liao.

This extradition bill is just CL's way of sucking up to Beijing. Failed sensationally and no way back for her anymore.

It is a miracle Hongkongers took so long to oppose the govt. I agree with everybody that they have no chance of winning against Beijing but they are making their voices heard as much as possible.

Best post, from someone who’s actually staying there. Edited by Fcw75

I have sympathy for HK youths who have to live in very small flats. The situation seems bleak since they do not have a democratic feedback system for the incumbent government, and they can't change to another government who can promise to build more and bigger home for them.

However, violence should not be a way of feedback. Something must have worked in an equally undemocratic mainland because I recall in a 2017 survey, China has one of the highest global rates of home ownership for young people (19 to 35 IIRC).

Anecdotally, I have a business associate in Shanghai whose daughter just bought an apartment with a view of the Huangpu River. She works in a bank with approximately 8 years of work experience. I understand she took a big loan with her husband though.

I don't know how, but maybe Hong Kongers don't need to resort to violence for their housing malaise.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Not many people outside of HK really understood the situation Hongkongers are facing. They have been suppressed badly and the extradition bill is merely a catalyst that triggered all the emotions within them.

Singaporeans can work hard to afford a HDB and with grants. However, Hong Kong govt sold their soul to property moguls for money. No matter how hard the younger gen work, many will never ever be able to afford to buy their own house. That's including professionals. If they are lucky, a shoebox apt. That's only maybe. Queue for public housing is years and years, almost impossible.

Since HK returned to China, 150 mainlanders are shipped to HK everyday. That is no small number. They are given the benefits and accommodation that were meant for ordinary citizens.

For many, the future is already bleak. With China on the horizon, future gen will have it even tougher. Maybe no future to speak of liao.

This extradition bill is just CL's way of sucking up to Beijing. Failed sensationally and no way back for her anymore.

It is a miracle Hongkongers took so long to oppose the govt. I agree with everybody that they have no chance of winning against Beijing but they are making their voices heard as much as possible.

if that demographics article from scmp is true, then most of these fellas have tertiary education and they are meant to be future of HKG.

Since occupy till now, with the arrest, violence, suppression, ridicule; IMO those up there just want to reap whatever they can in the last remaining 28yrs and exit when they feel like it, and thus really trashing the future there is with hkg.

Oh well, as some would say, the 150 daily would replace this next generation.

Vid...got the essence of it. In short, too little, too late.

I am sure the northerners already planned for this scenario and have sop martial or otherwise

滿地红。

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

For those not even staying in HK, don't bring other cities into the picture. You don't know shit.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

I have sympathy for HK youths who have to live in very small flats. The situation seems bleak since they do not have a democratic feedback system for the incumbent government, and they can't change to another government who can promise to build more and bigger home for them.

However, violence should not be a way of feedback. Something must have worked in an equally undemocratic mainland because I recall in a 2017 survey, China has one of the highest global rates of home ownership for young people (19 to 35 IIRC).

Anecdotally, I have a business associate in Shanghai whose daughter just bought an apartment with a view of the Huangpu River. She works in a bank with approximately 8 years of work experience. I understand she took a big loan with her husband though.

I don't know how, but maybe Hong Kongers don't need to resort to violence for their housing malaise.

You don’t understand... it’s all RELATIVE. Why do Paris people protests? If u compare their life with India, Paris is like heaven. People protests when they see their life getting worse...simple as that. Hong Kong was going downhill for sometime.

I bet life in Hong Kong is still much better than many parts of China.... but u know that comparison is pointless...

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

if that demographics article from scmp is true, then most of these fellas have tertiary education and they are meant to be future of HKG.

Since occupy till now, with the arrest, violence, suppression, ridicule; IMO those up there just want to reap whatever they can in the last remaining 28yrs and exit when they feel like it, and thus really trashing the future there is with hkg.

Oh well, as some would say, the 150 daily would replace this next generation.

No need to wait 28 yrs so long. If CL go ahead with her HK$500b land reclamation project, HK reserve would go other places liao.

Here's a video from earlier today

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=808690876192101

Her hands are tied.

Turbocharged

Why don't they ramp up their public housing?

Turbocharged

They say they don't want to devalue the holdings of the property mongrels

I am 75% through the netflix documentary on "winter on fire" about the Ukraine revolution just a few years back. It is very interesting... I am still wondering how did the protesters win????

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Not easy when you have to continue to feed the property moguls. Hk's financial status is very dependent on the property market. Not a lot of other sectors to fall back on.

Even public housing many people do not quailfy. The bar is set very low. Middle class is squeezed all round.

• Praise 1

That's why claims of 黑警 is seen all over the place.

There might be foreign forces who employed people to disguise as protestors to incite violence. Now the police are doing the same with officers disguising as protestors as well. Not a simple situation to handle.

When the trust between Police and the Public really need to be strengthen,  this "infernal Affairs" insane thing happen... appear like rub salt into wounds... 

• Praise 1

You donât understand... itâs all RELATIVE. Why do Paris people protests? If u compare their life with India, Paris is like heaven. People protests when they see their life getting worse...simple as that. Hong Kong was going downhill for sometime.

I bet life in Hong Kong is still much better than many parts of China.... but u know that comparison is pointless...

That's not my point. My point is not on the protest, but the violence.

I'm sure with the will of China, housing issue in HK can be solved, as she had in her own cities. I don't live in both China and HK, but that doesn't mean I can't comment on their problems.

Otherwise, I can only post about Katong in MCF.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

When the trust between Police and the Public really need to be strengthen,  this "infernal Affairs" insane thing happen... appear like rub salt into wounds... 

When you have thousands of lawyers coming out onto the street to protest, you know something is wrong.

• Praise 2

When the trust between Police and the Public really need to be strengthen, this "infernal Affairs" insane thing happen... appear like rub salt into wounds...

I support wholeheartedly what the police has done. Or am I not supposed to comment on their policing since I have not worked a day as a policeman?