Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

Facebook and Twitter and remove Chinese state backed propaganda accounts spreading lies about the Hong Kong protests?

By Carolyn Farrell, Masters Marketing and Finance (2002)

It's laughable and sad to see so many people don't believe Chinese geneiuly want to support CCP and wants to let their voices be heard. For the longest time, pro-CCP has been silent to the western world. We can only hear very biased negative reports about mainland China. Even when reporting on things can hardly be twisted, we can expect to see a snarky “but” at the end.

I casually Googled “Chinese military disaster relief, Sichuan earthquake” one of the worst earthquakes (meg 8) in history. I picked two links that are not CCP state ran media from the first page of the search results.

Quake Revealed Deficiencies of China’s Military -interesting angle

China earthquake: disaster response -good old guardian. Had to wedge in the last paragraph to show its standing.

It doesn't surprise me when Facebook and Twitter decided to ban pro-china accounts. For the longest time, these two sites have let hate-China pages and contents existed freely. They allowed people to use their websites to express hate towards Chinese people. Feel free to go look up on these two sites. I no longer have accounts for these two sites as how much junk and poison they spread. When faced large number of newly opened account countering those anti-China voices, the easiest way to shut down those voices are to call them state backed campaign. What is a state backed campaign? Paid by CCP? Where are the evidences? At one side, western media condemn China for not allowing FB or Twitter operates in China and it was an evidence of oppression on freedom of speech. But when Chinese used the vpn and tried to express their voices on their platforms, they were shut down.

On the other side, the Chinese Netizens on Twitter and FB are not that sophisticated either. They only come on these platforms when there are strong anti-China movements. Last time I witnessed such phenomena was Hongkong smear campaigning against mainlanders and calling them locusts. (Ironically, Hongkongers did the same to Vancouver since the 80s and now passing the blame to Chinese indicating the soaring housing prices and changes of Vancouver demographic were caused by Mainlanders. Double standard hypocrites.) Netizens in mainland China has formed its very unique Internet culture that is not known to outside of the great fire wall. So when they go outside of the wall to support their own point of view, they adopted the same approach as they would in China. To me, it appears very counter productive. They like to use large amount of graphics, many have strong sense of humor and are sarcastic to mainland Chinese but confusing to outsiders. They call it graphic battle (斗图)And they often post the same or similar things again and again and calling it building a tower or 盖楼. These Netizens are usually active in Chinese forums and social media as well. Their organized manners are very much consistent with how they act behind the great fire wall and are not government paid. Government paid ones can be easily spotted once you get used to reading China Daily or CGTN. These Netizens are self organzied. Their lack of understanding of Internet culture on English websites are not helping their causes. They don't understand how deep western prejudice runs and how easily their “uniqueness” or “weirdness” can be labled as CCP brainwashed trolls and get dismissed. Unlike Chinese lived overseas for extended years, they still naively belived in true freedom of speech and people have the mindset of “each story has two sides.” They didn't know western main stream medias don't care and don't want to hear their side of stories at all. The same goes to the pro-China protestors.

If I were a by-standing westerner without knowing anything behind the scenes and only watched and read English media my whole life, I probably would also lean towards Hongkongers as they are more sophisticated in navigating western mindsets and know what the buzz words to use. They will not hold up Locust pictures and signs in their protests outside of Hongkong. Instead, they play with westerner's minds and portray themselves as the desperate freedom seekers who are at the brink of life or death, backed with fabricated stories and misleading pictures. But pro-China are waving red flags and chanting Chinese national anthem. Not saying they shouldn't. But these do not trigger any bond with the westerner. Instead, they trigger subconscious connection of CCP backed propaganda and make it easy to become a target. Although gaining domestic support, they didn't effectively let their voices be heard outside of China.

Quora, to me, is a place that you can hear another side of story properly. If Quora does what FB and Twitter did, it will be just another platform for those simple and easily manipulated minds. It will loose it's competitive advantage.

PS, a little taste of what Locust campaign was about and still exists. I Googled Locust in traditional Chinese and the first search recommended was Locust Mainlanders. And images are as following:

post-16380-0-28152100-1566394596.jpeg

This is an ad ran by Apple Daily, a HK news paper widely supported by right wing HKers. It says “do you support HK spending $1m every 18 minutes on those children born in HK without either parent being HK resident…..strongly urge government to amend basic law and stop mainland pregnant women invade HK as refugees” . The giant famale locust represent mainland pregnant women. This ad is very much emotion provoking without solid data to back up. And the campaign spread soon to all mainland visitors. I will leave readers to judge if this is racism or not.

post-16380-0-79557700-1566394631.jpeg

This one is when Mainlanders called for stop visiting HK as a measure of fighting against discrimination. The bold characters says “ Locusts stay away” bottom right says ‘Hongkong people first”

Since 2012, Mainland Chinese have been called locusts widely among the right wing Hongkong people and their descendants overseas, on Facebook and Twitters. (Feel free to look it up) These group are also actively participating current movements. My point is, if Twitter and FB are as morally responsible as they self claimed and believed by so many people, these types of behaviour would've lead to closure of accounts . But they didn't.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

In Hong Kong, Ang Moh is really duaki. Spray at Legco building, nothing has happened. Spray on American consulate on 18 August, It only took courts two days time to put you in jail. super efficient. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3023597/mainland-chinese-tourist-jailed-defacing-us-consulate

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/hong-kong-police-arrest-13-men-for-violent-incident-in-legislature

12 protesters arrested as Hong Kong police crack down on violence

I getting sick of reading all these rioting and disruptions to normal life in HK. All these 'backers' stayed far away and keep instigating to see a show. Who will suffer and who will eventually have to pick up the pieces? 

I just hope it ends quickly. Let it be painful but a swift one. 

DON'T read

DON'T come in here

• Praise 1

this could be here or in the trade war thread

https://gizmodo.com/chinese-official-ironically-says-state-media-shouldnt-b-1837396465

I can block you, but you cannot block me; analogous to you open your market to me, I dun open mine to you.

Facebook and Twitter banned in China.

China gov pretend to be Hong Kong citizens disgusted with the protest.

Facebook and Twitter track IP to China gov and close the fake accounts.

And China gov complain no free speech.

:D

China gov complaining the 1000 fake accounts being closed

means the China gov has inadvertently acknowledged they made the fake accounts.

If the accounts were really genuine Hong Kong citizens why would the China gov comment at all?

Sibei stupid to complain and let everyone know they did it.

Communists are really stupid.  [smash]

Facebook and Twitter and remove Chinese state backed propaganda accounts spreading lies about the Hong Kong protests?

By Carolyn Farrell, Masters Marketing and Finance (2002)

I thought FB & Twitter is banned in China.

anyone in jail after 6 weeks? That PRC man committed vandalism act on 18 August and was sentenced to jail on 20 August.  see the difference?

American Consulate

Who brought charges against the PRC man?

Can the witness identified the suspect?

MInd you, there was a HK judge that was "scolded" by Chief Justice for wasting time in a simple case.

I knew it. China government is always blaming her problems on the West, to deflect criticism. I support the protesters in their fight for human rights and autonomy.

i support too

but i ask myself why hkee did not fight before 1997?

i guess 1997 or even 2007 strawberry generations were not there?

prior generations are baby boomers and all they care is put food on the table?

the strawberry generations are much more western influenced and fantasize simi sai human rights and autonomy

I knew it. China government is always blaming her problems on the West, to deflect criticism. I support the protesters in their fight for human rights and autonomy.

Edited by Wt_know

Supercharged

I getting sick of reading all these rioting and disruptions to normal life in HK. All these 'backers' stayed far away and keep instigating to see a show. Who will suffer and who will eventually have to pick up the pieces? 

I just hope it ends quickly. Let it be painful but a swift one. 

No need to get emo here.

These type of things happen yearly, just that in US, Europe or ME or Africa we don't give a shit.

We earn $$ from both the Ang Mos and China. We stay neutral, eat our char kway tiao and let the 2 gladiators fight it out.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

everybody need a scapegoat/distraction/deadhorse. Don't forget that we ourselves are the great evil to some further up the latitude.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1