Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

@Throttle2

Since you are the financial guru here I wanna ask you one question.

Everywhere I read it seems that Hong Kong economy is in turmoil.. Then how come the hang seng index is not in free fall but holding steady?  Doesnt make sense to me.

Solli I noob at this.  I always thought the stock market is an indicator for economic health...

Edited by Philipkee
Typo

2 hours ago, Sx4falcon said:

even if this is confirmed, it is 1 down another 4 to go. Violent will continue.

Not an easy task for anyone at this juncture but CL might has just opened the floodgates...

However, I choose to see it as half a glass filled and hope this move can instead put out many fire spots, flush out the discontentment, reset the city and start afresh to integrate better with the mainland for the next 28 years. Fingers crossed for the majority peace loving HK people. 

58 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

@Throttle2

Since you are the financial guru here I wanna ask you one question.

Everywhere I read it seems that Hong Kong economy is in turmoil.. Then how come the hang seng index is not in free fall but holding steady?  Doesnt make sense to me.

Solli I noob at this.  I always thought the stock market is an indicator for economic health...

Bro, i am no financial guru

its my sifu @enye

But let me the disciple try to explain.

if you look at the corresponding period when the riots happened till yesterday, you will realised that it has dropped a huge 10% within a short period.  The crash was a clear result of fear in the hearts of investors due to the negative impact of the riots on the HK economy at large.

Likewise todays 3% upswing was representative of the relief or the optimism from Carrie Lam's announcement regarding the bill.

So in a nutshell, the stock market is an indicator of economic health, ultimately yes. but economic health is the result of political stability, business sentiment and growth outlook.    

Since no man wants to be the last left standing, it operates in an expectant mode.   In other words, the past andthe present has less weight than the future.

So With regards to your freefall, it has fallen and Freefall also will hit the ground or bottom.  

Got up also got down mah....

Cheers

Nb. Plse thank my sifu @enye for his good teachings if you appreciate my post

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 4

27 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Not an easy task for anyone at this juncture but CL might has just opened the floodgates...

However, I choose to see it as half a glass filled and hope this move can instead put out many fire spots, flush out the discontentment, reset the city and start afresh to integrate better with the mainland for the next 28 years. Fingers crossed for the majority peace loving HK people. 

No way the protesters will be contended. With this as a start, they will want the other 4 request to be fulfilled and more.

Half a glass filled, but they change the container into a pail.

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Bro, i am no financial guru

its my sifu @enye

But let me the disciple try to explain.

if you look at the corresponding period when the riots happened till yesterday, you will realised that it has dropped a huge 10% within a short period.  The crash was a clear result of fear in the hearts of investors due to the negative impact of the riots on the HK economy at large.

Likewise todays 3% upswing was representative of the relief or the optimism from Carrie Lam's announcement regarding the bill.

So in a nutshell, the stock market is an indicator of economic health, ultimately yes. but economic health is the result of political stability, business sentiment and growth outlook.    

Since no man wants to be the last left standing, it operates in an expectant mode.   In other words, the past andthe present has less weight than the future.

So With regards to your freefall, it has fallen and Freefall also will hit the ground or bottom.  

Got up also got down mah....

Cheers

Nb. Plse thank my sifu @enye for his good teachings if you appreciate my post

Sorry.  Maybe I wasnt clear.  Before the riots it was about 30,000 points.  It's now 25000-26000 points.

When I meant freefall I was thinking of down to 10000 points for example.  10% drop doesnt seem like a lot to me....

So since the hang seng is holding steady, can I assume that the market also assumes Hong Kong economy will also be steady in the coming days or months?

@Enye

Calling your shi fu as well :D

Edited by Philipkee
More details

Interesting quote from SCMP:

Here are some statistics on the social unrest rocking Hong Kong since June 9:
1,183 people arrested (as of today, September 4)
Other figures as of September 2, Monday:
2,350 rounds of tear gas fired
Nearly 780 rubber bullets fired
515 sponge-tipped rounds used
26 beanbag rounds fired
3 instances of water cannons deployed

1 schoolful of people was arrested.

Now, the burden will be on Department of Justice to prove they are guilty as charged.

Let's see how many lawyers will resigned with so much MORE work to do.

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Sorry.  Maybe I wasnt clear.  Before the riots it was about 30,000 points.  It's now 25000-26000 points.

When I meant freefall I was thinking of down to 10000 points for example.  10% drop doesnt seem like a lot to me....

So since the hang seng is holding steady, can I assume that the market also assumes Hong Kong economy will also be steady in the coming days or months?

@Enye

Calling your shi fu as well :D

Brother 10% down in such a short time is considered a crash already.  everything also must take a breather mah

even GFC 2 also wont freefall like your example lah

Moreover Hsi is an index not a single stock with accounting fraud leh.

Even if kena cancer also wont drop dead next day.  

dont act so silly lah. you trying to dethrone me is it?  Muayhahahahha

i stay punggol 

you want to stay tuas.....alamak

buy my rolex help me survive another month lah tolong

By the way, you freefall before?

I have, many times. 🤣

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Support both of them

:D

She got damn Heavy responsibility..... am sure the good Bro here can help to support her!! 😍

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Brother 10% down in such a short time is considered a crash already.  everything also must take a breather mah

i stay punggol 

I have, many times. 🤣

Bro.  You must understand.  I only know buy low sell high for investment.  I always thought crash means free fall to 0.  Lol.  No wonder people say economy not doing well but sti over 3000.....

That's y I not like you and your shifu come out do business.  I sure bankrupt one :D

7 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

i stay punggol 

I have, many times. 🤣

Was told a 1% already represent billions.... drop 10%..... 😓

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Bro.  You must understand.  I only know buy low sell high for investment.  I always thought crash means free fall to 0.  Lol.  No wonder people say economy not doing well but sti over 3000.....

That's y I not like you and your shifu come out do business.  I sure bankrupt one :D

Buying low and selling high is but one and the most elementary of all strategies.  

Perhaps you may want to learn the other 2

sell low buy lower

buy high sell higher

Becos in the normal course of cycles, there are more encounters of the second and third kind.

Getting back to topic i picked out a session that MM Lee had when he was in HK many years ago.   The earlier parts of the session is more relevant to the current situation in HK.  

Enjoy the "Streetfighter" session 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Nlatio said:

She got damn Heavy responsibility..... am sure the good Bro here can help to support her!! 😍

I am happy to give her a hand.

Both hands also can.

The pleasure will be all mine.

😀

8 hours ago, Etnt said:

probably told to calm things down so as not to spoil the mood come oct.

maybe later she will gather legco and then make speech , cry,... then everyone vote and can claim she is innocent... its worked b4.

4 hours ago, Sx4falcon said:

No way the protesters will be contended. With this as a start, they will want the other 4 request to be fulfilled and more.

Half a glass filled, but they change the container into a pail.

Michael Tien said came too late, independent commission is required to investigate both sides

田北辰:僅撤回修例太遲 有必要獨立調查警、示威者

https://www.hk01.com/政情/371470/逃犯條例-田北辰-僅撤回修例太遲-有必要獨立調查警-示威者

↡ Advertisement