Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

Comment written by a Hongkonger lives in United States on “Why do politicians condemned the shooting of a protester in HK when the footage clearly shows that he is attacking the officer with a massive rod and another officers next to him on the ground being beaten : -

We should all know by now that the politicians in the West only see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. That’s why American politicians like Nancy Pelosi see the Hong Kong protests as a beautiful sight and love to hear Joshua Wong talk about how he is fighting for Hong Kong’s future. They’re not interested in the truth. They’re more interested in finding faults with other people rather than finding faults within themselves as way of confirming their own superiority. That’s why the United States has so many problems at home that aren’t being addressed.

With a hundred thousand homeless people and drug addicts camping out in the streets of Los Angeles and San Francisco (Pelosi’s home city), the sight of all those umbrellas in Hong Kong would be a beautiful sight to any sore eyes. The United States love to preach to other countries about political human rights such as free elections, but what about economic human rights such as food on the table and a roof over your head?

They’ve made a mountain out of a mole hill when a rioter in Hong Kong was shot by the police. The truth is we’re talking about 1 rioter who unfortunately got shot, but judging from their reaction it sounded like a hundred rioters were shot. The bigger truth is police violence in Hong Kong pales in comparison to the police violence in the United States where 1,147 people were killed in 2017. Why aren’t they condemning something that’s even more serious happening in their own backyard?

Notice how I’m using the word “rioter” and not “protester” to describe the scene of the tragedy based on the Cambridge Dictionary’s definition which is “one group of people who meet in a public place and behave in a noisy, violent, and in uncontrolled way, often as a protest”. If attacking the police with a metal rod doesn’t fit the description, then I don’t know what does. They definitely weren’t horsing around.

Most of us had seen entire footage and came to the conclusion that the police acted in self-defense. The New York Times also saw the entire footage, but came away with a different interpretation.

Just as the New York Times tried to break down what happened, I’m going to break down their attempt to twist the truth. The headline read “Hong Kong Police Shot a Protester at Point-Blank Range”. It implied the shooting was unprovoked which wasn’t the case. This should have been the headline “Hong Kong Police Shot a Protester in Self-Defense”.

The video did show the protester attacking the police, but the Times started to nitpick the actions of the officer who had fired the shot. They complained he didn’t follow the rules of the United Nations Charter for failing to announce to the protester he would shoot and his fellow officers failed to administered to the wounded protester.

By holding the Hong Kong police to such incredibly high standard, the New York Times were hoping you would forget that the shooting was provoked. They had always accused China of spreading misinformation about the Hong Kong protesters. Now we have a good example of the New York Times spreading misinformation about the Hong Kong police.

This goes back to the question. Why do politicians condemn the shooting of a protester in HK when the footage clearly shows that he is attacking the officer with a massive metal rod and another officer next to him is on the ground being beaten? We all saw the same footage, but the politicians and the media in the West preferred to see everything through ideologically tinted lenses.

I don’t mean to trivialize this incident and hope the injury of this man isn’t life threatening. The longer the unrest continues, the more likely tragedies like this will happen until the government decide to put an end to the violence once and for all. The sad truth is they’ll be damned if they do and they’ll be damned if they don’t. In the end, which is worth more those politicians’ opinions or Hong Kong’s future?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Unfazed said:

Updates...the fellow who kena close distance shot gets to live. If I didnt hear wrongly, fellow is 18 yo. But if I hear wrongly, pls forgive me hor.

Just too few policemen so those that found themselves in danger will open fire if panic.

Actually the rioters are only youths, if there are more numbers of police on the ground, with riot gear, I think it will give the police more confidence to win confrontations and to deal with groups of rioters without losing control.

The hkpf need a tough, disciplined core, something like the gurkha police to handle this kind of situation but now under PRC rule, no more gurkhas available.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

The hkpf need a tough, disciplined core, something like the gurkha police to handle this kind of situation

Have what. Gurkha for what? All the PRC army is there, waiting only. 

• Haha! 3

8 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Just too few policemen so those that found themselves in danger will open fire if panic.

Actually the rioters are only youths, if there are more numbers of police on the ground, with riot gear, I think it will give the police more confidence to win confrontations and to deal with groups of rioters without losing control.

The hkpf need a tough, disciplined core, something like the gurkha police to handle this kind of situation but now under PRC rule, no more gurkhas available.

I am reminded of stories from corporate world.

Sometimes problems are minor but personnel on the ground are not given the resources to resolve the issue but at the same time expected to resolve the issue.  Then when they escalate, its like don't make your problem my problem or come to me only hen you have a solution that I can use.  And the problem grows and grows.   Usually the problem will ownself disappear.  But sometimes they don't and this riot is an example of one that doesn't.

I think the hkpf are tough and disciplined but the instructions they were given might be conflicting.  Like "defend your company's interests, but remember customer is always right and don't argue with them." 

• Praise 4

49 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

dont know this mask can block bullet or not...[:p][laugh][laugh]

Please don't forget to follow UN smlj convention when firing any bullets hor:

1. HKPF first issue press release stating the exact number of bullets to be fired

2. Each officer firing the shot must first submit hand written report, email, sms, phone, and WhatsApp to his supervisor stating intention to fire

3. Intended protestor to be hit by the bullet must be notified via registered mail at least 3 business days in advance

4. Potential target of bullet also must express his or her explicit agreement to be hit by the bullet and acknowledge his agreement by signature on every page of the said notice, stating his preferred time and place of demise. 

5. Shoot bullet from gun. 

6. The end. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha! 7

1 minute ago, Philipkee said:

I am reminded of stories from corporate world.

Sometimes problems are minor but personnel on the ground are not given the resources to resolve the issue but at the same time expected to resolve the issue.  Then when they escalate, its like don't make your problem my problem or come to me only hen you have a solution that I can use.  And the problem grows and grows.   Usually the problem will ownself disappear.  But sometimes they don't and this riot is an example of one that doesn't.

I think the hkpf are tough and disciplined but the instructions they were given might be conflicting.  Like "defend your company's interests, but remember customer is always right and don't argue with them." 

How do you know the instructions they were given might be conflicting? Do you have insider info of what instructions they were given?

Please share with me, the clueless outsiders.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Jellandross said:

1. HKPF first issue press release stating the exact number of bullets to be fired

2. Each officer firing the shot must first submit hand written report, email, sms, phone, and WhatsApp to his supervisor stating intention to fire

3. Intended protestor to be hit by the bullet must be notified via registered mail at least 3 business days in advance

4. Potential target of bullet also must express his or her explicit agreement to be hit by the bullet and acknowledge his agreement by signature on every page of the said notice, stating his preferred time and place of demise. 

6. The end. 

6. Those not nominated to be the target of the bullet need to stage a protest on police brutality after the nominated is shot.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Jellandross said:

6. The end. 

:XD::grin:

image.png.eb298ce74dac4eb3b163391d36e351fe.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

all international news and world politicians yaya papaya condemned police fire live bullet and none commented the “violence act” of the protesters ... the way the protesters whacked police

i also feel bad that police use live bullet against protester but protester violent act cannot be ignored ... 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 4
  • Angry 1

17 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

"Day clashes, including some who suffered chemical burns from a corrosive liquid that was thrown at them by protesters. The liquid also wounded some journalists."

Why nobody complaint that police didn't protect the journalists from the liquid?😝

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged
24 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Only amdk sappork wanto create unrest. 

All Western media paint rioters to be saints, and worse, usually a lot of racist comments against China and Chinese.

I am hoping for PLA to come in and save the day against the zombies.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Which countries willing to rehabilitate these children?

Much talent lost at Tiananmen.

Asia?

You got money for ilo ilo, no money for Hong Kongers?

These people need hope.

Not PLA, family to save them from themselves.

PLA use 7.62, we use universal round.

Edited by Datsun366

1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Very clear reporting

Wah how dare CNA report this way are you supporting police brutality :yuush:

If let HK zombies see this they'll sure target CNA reporters in future :ninja:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3