Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

56 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Come think of it, none of the Chief Executives of HK SAR had it easy.Tung, Donald Tsang, CY and now Carrie Lam all had to grapple with hot potatoes during their term. Carrie Lam's term had already went down in history with the most violent and sustained demonstrations since 1997. 

Or I should say they inherited many issues from their predecessor and they are not empowered enough to fix them thru legislation. Opposition and resistance from everywhere, as well as balancing of interests between the business community, Beijing and the common HKErs is almost impossible most of the time. The interests of the common man on the street are sacrificed. 

I do hope the riots will come to an end soon. After all, many of these rioting youngsters still had a long way ahead of them. In 10 years time, many of them might have to seek employment or make a living in Shenzhen, Shanghai or Guangzhou. That's the inevitable. In fact, the opening up Shanghai is already well underway to undermine the importance of HK to China. 

China wants to emulate HK's style of economic freedom, but not the political freedom which comes with it. HK needs China, not the other way around.

The youngsters can continue to riot, but it will bring never independence, instead it just bring forward the expiry date of 1C2S policy (1 country 2 system) from 2045. If they are not careful, HK might just be relegated to the equivalent of a third tier city in China in the near future. 

https://www.dw.com/zh/黄奇帆-一国两制的香港不可取代/a-50472384

↡ Advertisement

49 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Correct, that's the reality. In fact, the 3rd CE is now working for Beijing, as the vice-chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.

Next better guy or lady who take over will kanna the same shit all over again. DLLM lah...

689 is widely rumored that he is an underground member of CCP.

Very likely 777 is also underground member.

Going forward, no CCP membership not qualified to be CE.

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

With social credit becoming a reality in China, definitely possible. Maybe the ones who haven't gotten arrested yet, would not be caught up in this. 

Nowadays, a lot of HKer going to PRC is subject to mobile phone search (similar to USA).

If phone clean clean, PRC custom may ask to install FB & log in for them to check.

20 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Nowadays, a lot of HKer going to PRC is subject to mobile phone search (similar to USA).

If phone clean clean, PRC custom may ask to install FB & log in for them to check.

no FB how

2 hours ago, Davidtch said:

The video is misleading. From beginning till the last 50 sec, the speaker provided some insight on how the local tycoon LKS lost favour with CCP. Last time all supreme leaders when visiting HK will stay at his hotel, but not the most recent one. So he asked who/what change? And how the policy unit of CCP that wields real power recently attacked LKS when he voiced his opinion to give the young protesters a chance. All logical till the last 50sec mark that he abruptly declared CCP made serious mistake in concluding that the HK problem has been due to property, education, and finance. He declared the cause to be due to CL with political and management issue without showing any evidence at all to support his pov. We all know CL's hands are tight as a CE, so how to be fair to blame her for everything.

Anyway the video is not convincing at all without shedding any light. He just offered abit of nuggets of information about the situation then declare the cause. It is easy to just declare something, but it is articulating the pov that will convince the audience to be onboard to support you. I am definitely not convinced as nothing in the video support it.

• Praise 4

21 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

The video is misleading. From beginning till the last 50 sec, the speaker provided some insight on how the local tycoon LKS lost favour with CCP. Last time all supreme leaders when visiting HK will stay at his hotel, but not the most recent one. So he asked who/what change? And how the policy unit of CCP that wields real power recently attacked LKS when he voiced his opinion to give the young protesters a chance. All logical till the last 50sec mark that he abruptly declared CCP made serious mistake in concluding that the HK problem has been due to property, education, and finance. He declared the cause to be due to CL with political and management issue without showing any evidence at all to support his pov. We all know CL's hands are tight as a CE, so how to be fair to blame her for everything.

Anyway the video is not convincing at all without shedding any light. He just offered abit of nuggets of information about the situation then declare the cause. It is easy to just declare something, but it is articulating the pov that will convince the audience to be onboard to support you. I am definitely not convinced as nothing in the video support it.

What kind of evidence you want him to show?

8 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

What kind of evidence you want him to show?

How should I know? I am not the one who tried to convince people of anything. As a uni lecturer, he should know better than that. Nothing to show to convince, don't talk rubbish lah.

Maybe you can give us your take on the video, since you have something to show us by posting it here.

I do not mean hostility, seriously. 

Edited by Heartlander
added last sentence.
  • Haha! 3

44 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

in HK is like that one ....

• Haha! 5

Hmm he's not saying anything we don't know right?

SOE are going to play a role in converting HK's economy to at least partially state controlled.
The HK tycoons are more trouble than they are worth. And so they will be gradually sidelined. LKS is just the most astute of the tycoons. 
He's accusing of Beijing ignoring the fact they have created some of the problems and CL is the problem. But that's pretty pointless right. Like we all know, whoever follows CL will still be the same. It's a political problem and a system problem. That's true. 
So what do i do with a system problem? I either press reset or I move to fix the problem lor. I don't fix myself...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

48 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

How should I know? I am not the one who tried to convince people of anything. As a uni lecturer, he should know better than that. Nothing to show to convince, don't talk rubbish lah.

Maybe you can give us your take on the video, since you have something to show us by posting it here.

I do not mean hostility, seriously. 

Up to you to interpret lo.

I gave up convincing ppl here since not a lot of ppl understand

2 hours ago, Davidtch said:

From what I read, the strongest argument coming from Huang Qi Fan is that HK's position as a springboard for foreign investments into China cannot be replaced.

I think this might be true before the riots, as HK's advantages of the rule of law, freedom for business initiatives and the existence of soft skills built up over the decades for international trade cannot be easily replicated by Shenzhen or Shanghai. But now with the rule of law in shambles, foreign businesses are having other thoughts. In other words, HK's reputation has been shattered for the worse. The article also expressed doubts about the time frame he made the comment. and most importantly, its debatable if his opinions are totally inline with the top echelons of the CCP. Perhaps the context which he made these comments is to douse the fires accusing China's plan to have HK replaced. 

I think I would be naive to think that HK is indeed that indispensable to China. I believed that if there is a will, there is nothing the CCP cannot do in China. That includes having Shanghai made to replace HK for good. And China has all the time in the world to play this game, but I think the same can't be said for HK. 

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm he's not saying anything we don't know right?

SOE are going to play a role in converting HK's economy to at least partially state controlled.
The HK tycoons are more trouble than they are worth. And so they will be gradually sidelined. LKS is just the most astute of the tycoons. 
He's accusing of Beijing ignoring the fact they have created some of the problems and CL is the problem. But that's pretty pointless right. Like we all know, whoever follows CL will still be the same. It's a political problem and a system problem. That's true. 
So what do i do with a system problem? I either press reset or I move to fix the problem lor. I don't fix myself...

In June, CL misjudged how ppl will react to the proposed amendment bill. Mind you, the proposed amendment was CL idea.
From thereon, it becomes a nuclear explosion.

At the beginning, it is a local issue.
Subsequently, it looks Beijing internal feud acting out in HK. It looks familiar to what happens in 1986.

↡ Advertisement