Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

2 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

From what I read, the strongest argument coming from Huang Qi Fan is that HK's position as a springboard for foreign investments into China cannot be replaced.

I think this might be true before the riots, as HK's advantages of the rule of law, freedom for business initiatives and the existence of soft skills built up over the decades for international trade cannot be easily replicated by Shenzhen or Shanghai. But now with the rule of law in shambles, foreign businesses are having other thoughts. In other words, HK's reputation has been shattered for the worse. The article also expressed doubts about the time frame he made the comment. and most importantly, its debatable if his opinions are totally inline with the top echelons of the CCP. Perhaps the context which he made these comments is to douse the fires accusing China's plan to have HK replaced. 

I think I would be naive to think that HK is indeed that indispensable to China. I believed that if there is a will, there is nothing the CCP cannot do in China. That includes having Shanghai made to replace HK for good. And China has all the time in the world to play this game, but I think the same can't be said for HK. 

What you said would be true if there is no FX control in China.

Not forgetting that there are 2 different RMB.

What happens to Shanghai FTZ?

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

in HK is like that one ....

He maybe learned from the best in USA... No need back up evidence, just whack any "facts". Definitely presidential level potential. 

Edited by Volvobrick

25 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

What you said would be true if there is no FX control in China.

Not forgetting that there are 2 different RMB.

What happens to Shanghai FTZ?

About the latest development of Shanghai FTZ, China doubled up the size of Shanghai FTZ with the addition of Lingang area. This is also the place where Tesla built their mega factory to supply to mainland China. A quick google reveals the five policy directions of further expanding foreign investment, 

1. Expanding market access on the basis of implementing the “pre-establishment national treatment and negative list system” stipulated by the FIL;

2. Promoting investment liberalization and facilitation of Shanghai Pilot Free Trade Zone (FTZ) and Lingang New Area by introducing more innovative policies;

3. Encouraging foreign investment in strategic emerging industries and key producer service industries;

4. Implementing the central government’s plan for opening up the financial sector; and

5. Attracting regional headquarters of transnational corporations.

Industries especially encouraged into Shanghai FTZ include, 

1. Strategic emerging industries like new generation of information technology, intelligent manufacturing, biological medicine, high-performance medical devices, new energy vehicle, smart connected vehicles, aerospace, marine engineering equipment, high-end energy equipment, and new materials; and

2. Several producer service industries like R&D and design, inspection and certification, supply chain management, and e-commerce.

Out of the above industries, many are manufacturing related which are pretty much non-existent in HK. HK economy is very much dependent on its services and finance sectors. With how much China is trying to do in Shanghai, I cannot be confident and say that they don't have long-term plans for Shanghai to outdo HK for good. 

• Praise 2

30 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Out of the above industries, many are manufacturing related which are pretty much non-existent in HK. HK economy is very much dependent on its services and finance sectors. With how much China is trying to do in Shanghai, I cannot be confident and say that they don't have long-term plans for Shanghai to outdo HK for good. 

A once-obscure rule has made Hong Kong a hot spot for companies looking to mitigate damage from the U.S.-China trade war........if a Chinese manufacturer sold an item to a Hong Kong trading company for $80, which was then sold to the U.S. for a price of $100, the duty will be $8 and not $10, supposing the tariff rate was 10%. In this way, the tariff burden would be 20% lower than if the first-sale rule was not used.....

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-war/Hong-Kong-s-tariff-loophole-flourishes-in-US-China-trade-war

Edited by Odyssey2011
  • Praise 3

24 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

About the latest development of Shanghai FTZ, China doubled up the size of Shanghai FTZ with the addition of Lingang area. This is also the place where Tesla built their mega factory to supply to mainland China. A quick google reveals the five policy directions of further expanding foreign investment, 

1. Expanding market access on the basis of implementing the “pre-establishment national treatment and negative list system” stipulated by the FIL;

2. Promoting investment liberalization and facilitation of Shanghai Pilot Free Trade Zone (FTZ) and Lingang New Area by introducing more innovative policies;

3. Encouraging foreign investment in strategic emerging industries and key producer service industries;

4. Implementing the central government’s plan for opening up the financial sector; and

5. Attracting regional headquarters of transnational corporations.

Industries especially encouraged into Shanghai FTZ include, 

1. Strategic emerging industries like new generation of information technology, intelligent manufacturing, biological medicine, high-performance medical devices, new energy vehicle, smart connected vehicles, aerospace, marine engineering equipment, high-end energy equipment, and new materials; and

2. Several producer service industries like R&D and design, inspection and certification, supply chain management, and e-commerce.

As I said previously, all these hinges on loosening of FX control.

Has FX control loosen?
Tesla Shanghai is owned by Tesla Motor Hong Kong

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

In June, CL misjudged how ppl will react to the proposed amendment bill. Mind you, the proposed amendment was CL idea.
From thereon, it becomes a nuclear explosion.

At the beginning, it is a local issue.
Subsequently, it looks Beijing internal feud acting out in HK. It looks familiar to what happens in 1986.

Actually isn't it crystal clear that the extradition bill saga is merely a trigger to the hk situation now? Even without this trigger, the umbrella movement come its anniversary would have caused similar mass protests, and in the process some wise guys among the protestors would have decided that peaceful protests after all these years did not work so now we will escalate the violence, and we will still have come to this situation.

To me without the triggering event courtesy of CL, the world would still be seeing hk as what it is now. It was just brought forward by a few months. Poor CL is unfortunately shouldering all the blame due to a wrong move.

• Praise 4

10 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Actually isn't it crystal clear that the extradition bill saga is merely a trigger to the hk situation now? Even without this trigger, the umbrella movement come its anniversary would have caused similar mass protests, and in the process some wise guys among the protestors would have decided that peaceful protests after all these years did not work so now we will escalate the violence, and we will still have come to this situation.

To me without the triggering event courtesy of CL, the world would still be seeing hk as what it is now. It was just brought forward by a few months. Poor CL is unfortunately shouldering all the blame due to a wrong move.

Sadly what you didn’t see is my last sentence 

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

Sadly what you didn’t see is my last sentence 

Everything also ask people to go this article and that event, don't you think you should bring your point across clearly when you want to argue?

You are like putting yourself above a pedestal and expecting everyone should know what you meant when you link a article or mention something. Really I think if you go take part in a debate, you will lose big time as you are too proud or too lazy to explain your pov, just spouting one liner like a learned scholar. Only the cute demon can understand you. Maybe you should ask him to help you decipher your thinking instead.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

I think tian an men incident also trigger the big protest in june 12. 

• Praise 2

51 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I think tian an men incident also trigger the big protest in june 12. 

I have no superpower to read his mind, but I think he refer to this event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Chinese_student_demonstrations

But historically there are so many differences, only similarity is that student protests are involved.

But do not fault me if this is not the event he mentioning. I cannot read anyone's mind.

• Praise 2

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/hong-kong-protest-organiser-jimmy-sham-assaulted-by-men-wielding-hammers

Straits Times article also mentioned that he was on his way to a mtg in Mong Kok area of Kowloon when attacked and there is another planned protest this Sunday in Kowloon.

But his protests are largely peaceful ones.

Never say the attackers were masked or not. 

Hopefully, this will not start fresh riots.

CL's platter for HKers in 4 major areas, to a Clueless foreigner, seems like real improvements in the right direction. 

At the very least, must give her time to start those initiatives and not short circuit causing doors to close on HKers. 

Full democracy, an impossibility at this moment and maybe forever, will also not be able to produce instant houses for HKers nor fulfill urgent needs in a short time.

Anything to continue rule by law till 50th year is up.

Yada-ing 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

The Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF) said leader Jimmy Sham was assaulted by four to five people wielding hammers in the district of Mong Kok in what they described as an act of "political terror".

When their people kanna whacked is called "political terror". When they whacked people is call what? Freedom of expression?

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

2 minutes ago, Sx4falcon said:

The Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF) said leader Jimmy Sham was assaulted by four to five people wielding hammers in the district of Mong Kok in what they described as an act of "political terror".

When their people kanna whacked is called "political terror". When they whacked people is call what? Freedom of expression?

Democrazy

• Haha! 6