Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Premeditated attack with a box cutter right at the jugular with intention to kill..... not going to be expelled. 

And this is the same stance by the various HK schools with their students arrested for their roles in the riots. 

What kind of message the schools are sending to the rest of the students? That rioting is the right thing to do when they cannot even go on school excursions to the zoo without their parent's signature? 

I think these students should apply to our notorious NUS when they graduate from their pre-U. They will feel right at home. 

All got potential to excel in life, pls pan chance :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3033377/hong-kong-remains-key-gateway-chinas-fdi-rises-29-cent-first?utm_content=article&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1571300687

This FDI is for China, not for hk. It only shows people still think China worth investing despite the ongoing US-China trade war. Really satki. If China cmi, then people still want to invest?

A big question is without hk as a conduit, would China still be able to attract this investment? Most of it I would think. But if without China, would hk be able to attract this amount as a conduit? I do not think so. 

Another observation shows the biasness of this scmp - it did not breakdown the FDI to monthly basis. It only quoted from Jan till Sept. A more accurate picture will be known if it quoted the figure from June to Sept, and compare it against last year. Then we will know the impact of the current rioting situation, whether HK is still relevant to China or not.

Perhaps we should wait for another 6 months to see if China FDI still flow through hk or not. Interesting to note that investment flow from Macau increase by 51.4% over same period. 

• Praise 1

23 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3033377/hong-kong-remains-key-gateway-chinas-fdi-rises-29-cent-first?utm_content=article&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1571300687

This FDI is for China, not for hk. It only shows people still think China worth investing despite the ongoing US-China trade war. Really satki. If China cmi, then people still want to invest?

A big question is without hk as a conduit, would China still be able to attract this investment? Most of it I would think. But if without China, would hk be able to attract this amount as a conduit? I do not think so. 

Another observation shows the biasness of this scmp - it did not breakdown the FDI to monthly basis. It only quoted from Jan till Sept. A more accurate picture will be known if it quoted the figure from June to Sept, and compare it against last year. Then we will know the impact of the current rioting situation, whether HK is still relevant to China or not.

Perhaps we should wait for another 6 months to see if China FDI still flow through hk or not. Interesting to note that investment flow from Macau increase by 51.4% over same period. 

Simple. Ministry of Commerce don’t provide those numbers 

The article is based on these press releases

http://www.mofcom.gov.cn/article/ae/sjjd/201910/20191002905241.shtml

By the way, Tesla Shanghai is owned by Tesla Motor HK

Edited by Davidtch

3 hours ago, adrian140180 said:

Yes yes, best to avoid going hong kong this weekend.

If they ask where you are from, put on your best malaysian accent, and say you are from penang.

Actually the highly educated Chinese Malaysians from kl speak very proper queen's English. But can't expect the hillbillies in HK to know who these are. 

• Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Actually the highly educated Chinese Malaysians from kl speak very proper queen's English. But can't expect the hillbillies in HK to know who these are. 

HKer can differentiate canto twing of 南洋vs廣州。

They cannot differentiate 馬來仔and坡仔。

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Simple. Ministry of Commerce don’t provide those numbers 

The article is based on these press releases

By the way, Tesla Shanghai is owned by Tesla Motor HK

The press release you quoted did not provide absolute figure, just the increase. Never state that hk responsible for 2/3 of total FDI also in the article.  Same article stated that FDI from Singapore and South Korea both increased by about 28% each. Without access to the exact figures, my conclusion would be that FDI in China has increased, but mainly due to sharp increase from Macau, Singapore, and South Korea. The increase attributed to hk has dropped over the same period, and expected to drop even further due to its chaotic street protests that cause mass lose of confidence in the SAR.

• Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYYer7RpUo

I listen I felt shiok. Not many leaders are so candid. But I really fear for the branch offices in hk if the protestors would take it out on them. Lets see if anything will happen over the weekend.

Ultimately... the government is to serve the people.. if hongkies decided they don’t want that government.. for whatever reason. That’s up to them. The way they wanna go abt doing it.. much as I disagree.. just avoid area for own safety... 

as to our own government.. wats the point of stating the obvious? Show u hv unique insights? All you have done is to put locals In hk into the cross hairs of hongkies. For wat? What is our upside? All I see is putting us at risk.. if get injured can claim agst lhl? Can sue him?

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

https://www.todayonline.com/world/hongkongers-pursue-overseas-passports-and-sell-homes-huge-discounts-fund-move-citys-protests

Housing price dropped due to the ongoing protest. By right Hong Kong people should be happy that housing prices dropped. But no, instead many are worrying and want to migrate to other countries. 

Housing prices dropped, however the opposite is true for unemployment. Unemployment will keep increase with no end in sight. 

13 minutes ago, SuPerBoRed said:

Ultimately... the government is to serve the people.. if hongkies decided they don’t want that government.. for whatever reason. That’s up to them. The way they wanna go abt doing it.. much as I disagree.. just avoid area for own safety... 

as to our own government.. wats the point of stating the obvious? Show u hv unique insights? All you have done is to put locals In hk into the cross hairs of hongkies. For wat? What is our upside? All I see is putting us at risk.. if get injured can claim agst lhl? Can sue him?

Ah...he's supposed to keep quiet and act blur?

Know where he is and when he made those obvious comments? 

Just signed past few days iirc 9 business deals with China for Singapore. U think its better to offend China over HK? No Singaporeans working in China too?

Always easy to judge and give 2 cents when not in those shoes.

Think its coincidental those China deals came in during this period?

Sometimes we can boast of what should be done/said etc. Its easy. 

😅some times i think a few of u guys can be President or PM or whatever high post. And probably within weeks we will need to go to war. Cos all so brave. All can sprout powerful words to show them who's in charge. 

Or make us laughing stocks cos everytime asked to comment, will go blurr and blabber. Or need go toilet to pee.

That's my pov. He's speaking the truth. If its obvious, why should HKers take offence unless they purposedly want to.

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 10

Just now, Tianmo said:

CCP ruled china for 70 years, and right up till today they still cannot have all their students shouting ccp wan shui. Instead 40 years into their rule, they had a big scale students protesting no different from HK today. Today there are still students going against the CCP. 

HK was under British rule for 178 years, less 5 years Japanese occupation, that is still 173 yrs of British rule. 

How is CCP going to make all the students shout CCP wan shui? You are sure it will help? 

Do you really think under new ccp law, they can grab lands freely and build cheap housing?  Look back at what is happening in mainland china in terms of housing. They have plenty of land,  all land belongs to gov, no need to grab from anybody. Are they building cheap housing for PRC ppl?  You are sure what you are saying will help alot too? 

And btw, CCP is communist no wrong, but they are not exactly bandits, they also cannot just grab land from anyone happily. 

I have paper that says so much land belongs to me. Its worthless now because CCP does not honour it.

They grab and grope just like everybody else. 

I am sure there are others as well.

...i have 2 guns, the long one shoot bandits, the short one shoot ...

As the old KMT soldier song goes.

Once a bandito/insurgent...

Edited by Datsun366