Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

10 hours ago, Lala81 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/climate-change-protest-disrupt-london-underground-drag-roof-12008584

True democracy. Some guy tried to stop the tube. Got pelted and pulled away by commuters. 

I hope the media condemn the bristish police for using excessive force on these peaceful protesters. Set up an independent inquiry into why they are being so brutal. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Heartlander said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYYer7RpUo

I listen I felt shiok. Not many leaders are so candid. But I really fear for the branch offices in hk if the protestors would take it out on them. Lets see if anything will happen over the weekend.

As I said before... He is not his father. 

He can be candid for all he want but he does not have the international recognition and clout to have his view taken seriously by the very people he is giving his 2 worthless singapore cents to. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

As I said before... He is not his father. 

He can be candid for all he want but he does not have the international recognition and clout to have his view taken seriously by the very people he is giving his 2 worthless singapore cents to. 

His perceived anti-protestors view is NOT taken favorably by the majority of HK protestors. 

In the protestors' social media, they are planning retaliation.

Tragic, some people don't know when to keep their mouth shut. We thought after, opening window for pollution and pork soup in river jokes, you expect people learned to improve their EQ and open their mouth only when needed.

Then again, he may be trying very hard to win brownie points with China after all that he and his administration had done. BUT again this is at the expense of the safety of her citizens.

I have read widely and recent Thomas Cook saga, lots of UK tourists very stranded overseas. Their government chartered planes to bring them home. In our case, you are left on your own or at best will bill you later. 

Note: anyone, please check facts before rebut.

• Praise 2

Just before everyone goes grab this grab that....please learn from the best in land grab... 

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/history/events/1f669eff-bc82-49d1-a27c-2624e4cab8c6

After Singapore gained independence in 1965, the government had a pressing need for an adequate supply of land to carry out its developmental projects, especially those concerning resettlement and industrialisation.[1] The Land Acquisition Ordinance of 1920 was repealed by the Land Acquisition Act in 1966 so as to give the government the power of compulsory land acquisition for public development. The act also regulated the amount of compensation to be given to landowners who had their properties acquired by the government.[2]The Land Acquisition Act was passed by parliament on 26 October 1966 and came into effect on 17 June the following year. Any disputes between the government and landowners over the compensation amounts were presided over by an Appeals Board.[3] To further expedite government developmental projects through land acquisition, the act was amended in 1973 in order to curb land speculation and limit the cost of land acquisition. The revised act fixed the compensation amount for acquired land at the market value as at 30 November 1973 or at the date of gazette notification, whichever was lower.[4]The Land Acquisition Act expedited the process of land possession by the government for public purposes. Between 1959 and 1984, the government acquired a total of 43,713 acres (17,690 ha or 177 sq km) of land, which constituted about one-third of the total land area of Singapore then.[5] The bulk of land, however, was acquired under the Land Acquisition Act after 1967.[6] With an increase in acquired land parcels, the government became the biggest landowner by 1985. At the time, the government owned 76.2 percent of the land in Singapore compared with 31 percent in 1949.[7]The compulsory acquisition of land by the government was effective in keeping the costs of building houses and industrial premises affordable.[8] Cheaper and more effective land acquisition also resulted in better urban planning that facilitated the urban renewal efforts carried out by the Urban Redevelopment Authority and its predecessor the Urban Renewal Department in the central area, which led to the growth of the commercial and business district in downtown Singapore.

Fact. 

• Praise 5

10 hours ago, Datsun366 said:

I have paper that says so much land belongs to me. Its worthless now because CCP does not honour it.

They grab and grope just like everybody else. 

I am sure there are others as well.

...i have 2 guns, the long one shoot bandits, the short one shoot ...

As the old KMT soldier song goes.

Once a bandito/insurgent...

I too, have several pieces of lands in Hainan Island belongs to my late father. All taken back by CCP ... :lll._.:

I still have the original land deeds with me.  :wut:

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

42 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

His perceived anti-protestors view is NOT taken favorably by the majority of HK protestors. 

In the protestors' social media, they are planning retaliation.

Tragic, some people don't know when to keep their mouth shut. We thought after, opening window for pollution and pork soup in river jokes, you expect people learned to improve their EQ and open their mouth only when needed.

Then again, he may be trying very hard to win brownie points with China after all that he and his administration had done. BUT again this is at the expense of the safety of her citizens.

I have read widely and recent Thomas Cook saga, lots of UK tourists very stranded overseas. Their government chartered planes to bring them home. In our case, you are left on your own or at best will bill you later. 

Note: anyone, please check facts before rebut.

Did we ever have the scale in the hundreds of thousands of citizens stranded overseas like the Thomas Cook saga since our Independence? 

The rioters are the ones causing retaliations NOT the peaceful protesters. 

Depending on which news and social platforms one chooses to tune in, one can select what to read.

Embassies are left untouched. Businesses run by HKers or Chinese prc are the ones that got retaliation in a big way for obvious reasons.

If embassies and other citizens are touched, there will be severe repercussions to host countries and these can expect their OWN citizens here to face some uncomfortable consequences.

So its a 2 ways street in the diplomatic world to think about. 

Even invisible hands are not keen to engage other govts carelessly. We are still on good terms with both USA and UK.

Dun spread fats here there to mix with a fact. It can be half truths in whole picture.

😂😂😂yada-ing 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

11 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

I too, have several pieces of lands in Hainan Island belongs to my late father. All taken back by CCP ... :lll._.:

when did CCP took it back? Did they pay you for the land? or just grab? 

As far as I know, CCP doesnt go ard grabbing land like bandits anymore, thought yes, they used to do that.

In 2008 when I was living in Fujian, some of the villages in quanzhou were acquired by the local gov for development. The way the lands were acquired were very similar to what happen to us in the 60s. The villagers fenced up land belonging to them, including trees, and officers went unit to unit to make records. Compensation was given accordingly, including trees. Yes, CCP paid for trees on your land. 

I know this because some of my staffs villages were affected, they went home to help plant trees. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Datsun366 said:

I have paper that says so much land belongs to me. Its worthless now because CCP does not honour it.

They grab and grope just like everybody else. 

I am sure there are others as well.

...i have 2 guns, the long one shoot bandits, the short one shoot ...

As the old KMT soldier song goes.

Once a bandito/insurgent...

yes, Its known CCP behave like bandits, but they have changed, at least on the surface. 

I dont know about any earlier, but at least in the last 10 years, CCP doesnt go ard grabbing lands anymore, they do compensate the owners in a form of acquisition.

I any case, I believe every country would have some form of land acquisition act in force for the gov to acquired land when they need it for development, the gov cant just take it away as they please, at least not now, not anymore. Of course NK, Russia and most communist countries still do that mayb, but CCP I am quite sure they dont do that now. 

That brings us back to the question, is there such an act in HK, if not why not? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

13 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

As far as I know, CCP doesnt go ard grabbing land like bandits anymore, thought yes, they used to do that.

😁😁😁 now no more...  ...https://thediplomat.com/2018/12/chinas-private-sector-is-under-siege/ Billionaires offer them willingly.....🤣

For instance, Alibaba’s Jack Ma once said that if the government wants to take over Alipay (value at $150 billion), he will gift it to the state without complaint.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

In 2008 when I was living in Fujian, some of the villages in quanzhou were acquired by the local gov for development. The way the lands were acquired were very similar to what happen to us in the 60s. The villagers fenced up land belonging to them, including trees, and officers went unit to unit to make records. Compensation was given accordingly, including trees. Yes, CCP paid for trees on your land. 

I know this because some of my staffs villages were affected, they went home to help plant trees. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Back in 1998. no payment

Didn't know about it until I went back first time in 2006. :lll._.:

43 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Did we ever have the scale in the hundreds of thousands of citizens stranded overseas like the Thomas Cook saga since our Independence? 

The rioters are the ones causing retaliations NOT the peaceful protesters. 

Depending on which news and social platforms one chooses to tune in, one can select what to read.

Embassies are left untouched. Businesses run by HKers or Chinese prc are the ones that got retaliation in a big way for obvious reasons.

If embassies and other citizens are touched, there will be severe repercussions to host countries and these can expect their OWN citizens here to face some uncomfortable consequences.

So its a 2 ways street in the diplomatic world to think about. 

Even invisible hands are not keen to engage other govts carelessly. We are still on good terms with both USA and UK.

Dun spread fats here there to mix with a fact. It can be half truths in whole picture.

😂😂😂yada-ing 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

Bro I admire your knowledge even though you are in Singapore and receiving "filtered" news.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Odyssey2011 said:

😁😁😁 now no more...  ...https://thediplomat.com/2018/12/chinas-private-sector-is-under-siege/ Billionaires offer them willingly.....🤣

For instance, Alibaba’s Jack Ma once said that if the government wants to take over Alipay (value at $150 billion), he will gift it to the state without complaint.

Yah, until XJP came into power. We had this discussion before, here if I remember. 

With him moving backwards taking private sectors back slowly and run by central gov. 国进民退,私营国营化. 

But the land part is not affected yet, at least as far as I know for now. Although no running away that it is likely to go the same direction, but as of now, saying that CCP can just grab land in HK to build cheap housing is not a fair statement.

I may not like CCP, but doesnt mean I sld take every opportunity to run them down, If I think otherwise, I will just speak out. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Ash2017 said:

Bro I admire your knowledge even though you are in Singapore and receiving "filtered" news.

Dun wan your admiration lah. 

From u i beri scared one. 

Cos facts are fats one. 

Have a good weekend. 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Back in 1998. no payment

Didn't know about it until I went back first time in 2006. :lll._.:

10 years different, I cannot comment.

so things happen differently in that 10 years... 

Or mayb different province, different local law.  I know local gov can have their local rules on top of their central rules. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Or mayb KNN, you guys tio rob by the local gov corruption....:a-confused: 

Edited by Tianmo

5 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

10 years different, I cannot comment.

so things happen differently in that 10 years... 

Or mayb different province, different local law.  I know local gov can have their local rules on top of their central rules. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Or mayb KNN, you guys tio rob by the local gov corruption....:a-confused: 

Ya... one day go back to the province gov and scold them DLLM, Diu Diu Diu ... :yuush:

:secret-laugh:

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Ya... one day go back to the province gov and scold them DLLM, Diu Diu Diu ... :yuush:

:secret-laugh:

in Hainan must scold  'buey lu mai' [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

dun say china,

it the 80s. my family land also taken by gov. of course they dun use grab, they compensate. the amount u know la.

best is after about 7-8 years, its still a bare patch of grass, close to 10 years then start developing.

• Praise 2