Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

5 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Sorry but my Chinese sucks.  I think what other forumers were saying the education 1997 - 2019 has been pro AM and anti china.  There can be changed now but it's too late, at least for the current problem.

I dont know why things have turned so bad but one observation is that by not clamping down on the root of the problem earlier, things just escalate out of control later on.  I see this everywhere.

Not disciplining a child will result in an I'll disciplined teenager.

Not controlling PMD from the start leads to chaos and unhappiness and livelihoods affected when controls are finally instituted.

In this case, not nipping it in the bud emboldened more to fight which emboldens more.

I think one other reason why we have this situation in Hong Kong is because of a confluence of factors.  A generation of students who have not been under British and were probably influenced to be against china, the rise of social media that promotes anti china rhetoric, outsiders who want to see china suffer AND to top it all, a weak leader.  All at the same time.

Two cents.

The problem we have here is that we can't differentiate btw PRC (country) and CCP (party).

Who are these ppl against country or party?

If you read national patriotic education, it emphasize to love both (country and CCP).

As i said previously, i am anti-CCP.  I didn't say i am anti-China.

The document also included references to extending patriotic education to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.

“[We should] strengthen the practical education of ‘one country, two systems’, channel people including compatriots in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan and overseas Chinese so they can have a stronger sense of national identity, and will conscientiously safeguard national unity and cohesion of the Chinese race,” it said.

Read the above quote

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

But the fact has shown that many teachers and lecturers encouraged students to join the protests. Teachers even bullied children of policemen. What we can see here that the educator plays a part in brainwashing the youth to be anti china

Are they anti-CCP or anti-China?

2 hours ago, bsswan said:

The problem for Western countries, seen in Canada and Australia already, when events arrive on their own doorstep.

Likely Met.Police didn't expect any trouble so far from HK but it could also be they are tacit in their support for tackling present government, and understaff protection, complicit in and with protester's actions. The "West's" right to free speech, almost at any cost, will prove a downfall and we only slowly see their reaction to fake news and therefore the need to censor/correct social media. They opened Pandora's box with excessive "Human Rights" that cannot now be contained.

From videos posted, i am guessing that she might tripped when running.  Rem how plump she is.

Anyway, MET did not provide adequate protection to a guest.  Maybe she is "ministerial" person.

I think we had discussion on fake news when Sg implemented it.  Who should determine what news is fake?  Should it be implemented in our way?

2 hours ago, Odyssey2011 said:

If Beijing had given that same less interfering like 97,  and I don”t have an answer to it too. 

Which China president has the biggest protest turnout so far?

Which China president has the longest days in Chaos?

1 hour ago, Ysc3 said:

are we missing something here ??

Alibaba backs HK's 'bright' future with share sale.

Alibaba chief executive Daniel Zhang has praised Hong Kong's "bright" future as the Chinese e-commerce giant prepares to list in the embattled financial hub.

The firm, which is already traded in the US, hopes to raise up to $13.4bn (£10.4bn) in its secondary listing.

That would make it the biggest share sale this year, according to Dealogic.

The move is seen as a boost for Hong Kong, diluting fears that protests have tarnished its financial reputation.

21 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Are they anti-CCP or anti-China?

I would say both. They use anti ccp as an excuse for anti china

most black rioters don’t see themselves as chinese but hongkie

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I would say both. They use anti ccp as an excuse for anti china

most black rioters don’t see themselves as chinese but hongkie

Why do you say both?

China does not necessary mean CCP.

Anti CCP does not mean anti China.  I only anti CCP.

Do you know that there is also a rise in localism in Macau?

Heartwarming yet sad pictures of true hong kongers voluntarily clearing up the streets of debrii set by rioters.

These kids so old already still need their parents to pick up after them. Hope they can feel at least a tinge of guilt.

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

The problem we have here is that we can't differentiate btw PRC (country) and CCP (party).

Who are these ppl against country or party?

If you read national patriotic education, it emphasize to love both (country and CCP).

The document also included references to extending patriotic education to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.

Read the above quote

Ok.  Maybe we misunderstand each other .

If national education  teaching to love the country is going to be emphasised NOW, IMHO it's too little and maybe too late.

If it had been emphasised all these years and just being updated, something is seriously wrong with the education.

Now the next question.  Love the country or the party?  Very complex question.  I don't know.  Cos if hong Kongers love China but hate the CCP, they shouldn't be resentful towards china tourists.  And it's a play on words if you say you love china because you love the history but you hate the current govt and people.  Imagine if the Americans discriminating people of colour while studying and admiring their history.

The hong Kongers so far have not shown that they could separate people from govt.  Anyone can hate Trump or Republicans or Democrats and still love Americans.  But so far, as far as I have observed, no hong Kong has openly loved a China Chinese citizen while having hatred for the CCP.  At least not in recent months.

And for educators?  I dunno if they love china separately but they hate the govt.  And it's kind of irresponsible for them to teach that.  If they are so against the chinese govt, they should quit.  They should not promote hatred towards the chinese govt, at least not while they are in a position of power and responsibility. 

• Praise 2

17 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Why do you say both?

China does not necessary mean CCP.

Anti CCP does not mean anti China.  I only anti CCP.

Do you know that there is also a rise in localism in Macau?

Localism in Macau I dunno and dun care.  Only went there once - unless they start rioting like Hong Kong. 

One question.  Why do you hate CCP?  I am not a fan of CCP.  But every govt democratic or otherwise, has it's dark past or secrets or even current ones.  So what makes you hate CCP or are you against many forms of govts in the first place?

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Ok.  Maybe we misunderstand each other .

If national education  teaching to love the country is going to be emphasised NOW, IMHO it's too little and maybe too late.

If it had been emphasised all these years and just being updated, something is seriously wrong with the education.

Now the next question.  Love the country or the party?  Very complex question.  I don't know.  Cos if hong Kongers love China but hate the CCP, they shouldn't be resentful towards china tourists.  And it's a play on words if you say you love china because you love the history but you hate the current govt and people.  Imagine if the Americans discriminating people of colour while studying and admiring their history.

The hong Kongers so far have not shown that they could separate people from govt.  Anyone can hate Trump or Republicans or Democrats and still love Americans.  But so far, as far as I have observed, no hong Kong has openly loved a China Chinese citizen while having hatred for the CCP.  At least not in recent months.

And for educators?  I dunno if they love china separately but they hate the govt.  And it's kind of irresponsible for them to teach that.  If they are so against the chinese govt, they should quit.  They should not promote hatred towards the chinese govt, at least not while they are in a position of power and responsibility. 

National Patriotic Education was rejected by HKer.

For CCP national patriotic education, you have to love both.  Even you love country ONLY also cannot.  Even party is in the wrong, you can't openly criticise it.

The resentment is mainly due to TOO many.  Currently, we have only 3.4m tourist from China.  Can you imagine when we have 10m of China Tourist?  In 2018, there was 51m China Tourist visits HK.

In these few months, the society is divided into both sides.  Either blue or yellow.  No in btw.  Other than blue fan, who dare to say they love motherland openly?

I agree part of your comment on educators.  It is headmaster responsibility to ensure that these teachers teach responsibly.  If they don't, headmaster has the responsibility to fire them.

14 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Localism in Macau I dunno and dun care.  Only went there once - unless they start rioting like Hong Kong. 

One question.  Why do you hate CCP?  I am not a fan of CCP.  But every govt democratic or otherwise, has it's dark past or secrets or even current ones.  So what makes you hate CCP or are you against many forms of govts in the first place?

CCP emphasize the use of law to govern the country.  On the other hand, CCP is above the country.  Who govern CCP?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

Try ask the younger SG....many without good knowledge why communism removed. Most care about the money opportunities.... 😑  

“.....This is a generation that believed in me and my “Old Guard” colleagues because they saw us stand up and fight back against the communists...”https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/we-had-expose-communists

With Communism, you will not have a modern Singapore like now. 

Edited by Odyssey2011

31 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

CCP emphasize the use of law to govern the country.  On the other hand, CCP is above the country.  Who govern CCP?

I take your point.

Democracy also has its flaws.  So it should not be throwing stones at communism just because of an illusion of choice - I am talking about democracy NOW and not years ago.  Western society seem to be sliding into chaos also, hence my criticism.

Personally I believe in a monarchy system as long as the monarch and his successors are smart, capable and love the people and country.  :D idealistic but that's my stand.

Would I prefer democracy or communism?  Definitely democracy.  BUT having seen the flaws of democracy, I wont criticise communism.  I just yada here. :D

peace.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

Which China president has the biggest protest turnout so far?

Which China president has the longest days in Chaos?

Xi become an absolute leader on par with Mao, the tragic consequences of the Cultural Revolution must not be repeated....... CCP still has that same Power and Control Addiction. Power and control are intoxicating. Their view likely that there can be only one dominant person. 2 cents.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/the-worrying-buildup-of-a-personality-cult-around-xi-the-yomiuri-shimbun

Edited by Odyssey2011
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1