Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

Supersonic

Think ICA needs to monitor the hongkee here.

Many of them been voicing their displeasure about what happened in hk and might create the same movement here, some comments even trying to stir or link it to Singapore

What happened in hk, stays in hk. Dont bring it here, not our fight and never will.

Fret not la. How can hongkee bring their fight here? 

Our own fight also we don't wanna fight. Hongkee will just look foolish if they are depending on us for support in Singapore.

No worries, ISD will watch them.

Over here, who do they fight?

Gather outside istana lor.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

There are a lot of Singaporean working or doing business in China.

Foreigner would always be disadvantage in a legal dispute with local PRC.

Good luck if cannot even run road to HK.

That's the point , no one forces any foreign companies to go invests , set up factories or do any business in China / HKG . 

You want to earn money from the China local population , then you go in with your eyes open and accept whatever laws they have or wants to change . Not happy with laws or think its unfair , then dun go there and invest or do business . Vice versa , the Chinese companies that invest in other countries have to accept and respect the laws in that country . 

I owned companies in both China and Hong Kong , i go in with my eyes open , and respect whatever regulations or laws they have . If 1 fine day i find the laws not acceptable to me , then i can jolly well closed down the companies and withdraw all my investments there .

Cannot be just wants to take advantage of their huge population market in China , lower and lax tax rate in HKG and only wants the good thing lei .  

What is there to run road if you are doing what their laws allows ?  

• Praise 2

Fret not la. How can hongkee bring their fight here? 

Our own fight also we don't wanna fight. Hongkee will just look foolish if they are depending on us for support in Singapore.

Gather outside istana lor.

this one potential, new citizen turns pest  :XD:

cos they know once get citizenship, cannot kick them out already :lll._.:

post-131345-0-23896600-1560405438_thumb.gif

That's the point , no one forces any foreign companies to go invests , set up factories or do any business in China / HKG . 

You want to earn money from the China local population , then you go in with your eyes open and accept whatever laws they have or wants to change . Not happy with laws or think its unfair , then dun go there and invest or do business . Vice versa , the Chinese companies that invest in other countries have to accept and respect the laws in that country . 

I owned companies in both China and Hong Kong , i go in with my eyes open , and respect whatever regulations or laws they have . If 1 fine day i find the laws not acceptable to me , then i can jolly well closed down the companies and withdraw all my investments there .

Cannot be just wants to take advantage of their huge population market in China , lower and lax tax rate in HKG and only wants the good thing lei .  

Unrelated to the protest issue but can u withdraw? I thought it's a very slow drawn out process over many years right.

Whether individual or corporate, capital transfer out of china is a major issue.

Whether partly shit stirred by foreigners or not, the protest is still overwhelmingly by hongkongers. I mean all of us here are just jiak popcorn and akin to sports commentating. 

Think ICA needs to monitor the hongkee here.

Many of them been voicing their displeasure about what happened in hk and might create the same movement here, some comments even trying to stir or link it to Singapore

What happened in hk, stays in hk. Dont bring it here, not our fight and never will.

Overseas chinese very practical one lah. Don't bite the hand that feeds or houses you.

It's not like sino-japanese war with motherland being invaded in 1937   [laugh]

Turbocharged
(edited)

The bill is not the main issue.  The main issue for the HongKongers is that if they accept this bill which intervenes their current judical system, they are worried that more of such intervention will come in future.

In fact, for this bill, there seems to be many gates in place. Even if it is passed,  some legal committee in HK must agree to the extradition request before the suspect can be extradited. Also, they even assure that religious and political crimes will not be extradited.

However, nobody trust all these gates. All the people know is that if they accept this bill,  they are afraid that more of such legal intervention from China will come in the future. And they don't believe that the China legal system is fairer and better than theirs.

In short, this bill is just a trigger. Their protest is more of the unhappiness over the legal intervention from China.

PRC is a one-party totalitarian state with very little oversight mechanism. Their authorities can do whatever they want regardless of whatever safeguards or assurances given. All the committees mentioned are just rubber stamps. A political crime can be converted into white-collar crime, e.g. corruption (a favourite go-to in PRC), depending on the charges laid.

But it happens in western democracies too. Do you know that when the US wants to destroy a target in some other country, outside of a declared war, the legal teams in the military and govt have to provide all the legal coverage and justifications before the mission can be launched? Yes, to make the attack legal under US law. It's the same thing, just another form of rubber-stamping.

Having said that, it's just a matter of time for HK. If I were a HK-er and really concerned about all these things, I would've planned and migrated already long before the time-limit for 2 systems is up.

On the issues concerning HK, PRC moved too fast. Why the HK people are agitating on the streets is a mixture of all the failures to address daily life issues of the people - things like affordable public housing, better quality of life, reasonable-paid employment for the people, etc. If all these things were solved to some extent, all the HK people would be happily going about their lives with hardly a care. Who'd be bothered to show up at protests on weekend? Rather be resting and preparing to work on the Monday, spending time enjoying with loved ones, etc.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Unrelated to the protest issue but can u withdraw? I thought it's a very slow drawn out process over many years right.

Whether individual or corporate, capital transfer out of china is a major issue.

Whether partly shit stirred by foreigners or not, the protest is still overwhelmingly by hongkongers. I mean all of us here are just jiak popcorn and akin to sports commentating. 

Why not ?? The amount of money that is still coming out from China is crazy . There are lots of ways to get money out and it does not really cost much these days as compared to what those underground money changer charges previously .

Not look down on you.. but how big is your investment?

The people who put billions into HK did so because of the assured independence of judicial system... maybe they were wrong. It's not exactly liquid assets they can just pull out.

Last thing they want is whenever there's a dispute their staff suddenly disappear from hk... turn up in China over some "crime".

Overseas chinese very practical one lah. Don't bite the hand that feeds or houses you.

It's not like sino-japanese war with motherland being invaded in 1937 [laugh]

Try telling her

post-131345-0-46092700-1560406832.jpg

Finally I manage to go read up a little on this extradition bill. 

I am not law train, so i read with layman understanding.

In layman term, the bill simply means any Hongkonger if committed an unlawful event in China and run back to HK, if caught will still be send to china for prosecution.  Vice versa for the PRCs. 

How wrong is such a bill?  Logically it sound all correct to me in a layman understanding.

Hongkongers need to accept the fact that Hong Kong is part of China, "one country 2 system" only last for 50 years from 1997, and will expire in 2047, like it or not, it is a fact. In 2047, HongKong will officially be run by communist, no running away from this. 

20 years ago, china needed HK as a bridge to the outside world, today HK is no longer as valuable as it was to the CCP gov.  Trying to pass the bill is just a political correct and a nicer way to transit control faster without breaking that 50 years promise. 

But if XJP can abolish  the 2 term President-ship and make himself the ever lasting lao da, what and who can stop him from breaking the 50 years promise set by DXP, who is a dead man now? 

Communist is he talk no you talk, XJP can always declare that time has change, and the 1 country 2 system policy is no longer needed now. And suddenly HK will come under communist rules, no need pass this bill that bill, is just he wants to do it or not only...  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

The bill only covers 37 types of serious crimes, which could result in a longer than 7 year of imprisonment. To qualify for extradition, the crime committed needs to be categorized as crime under HK law. The bill could not extradite a person back to mainland China because he bad mouthed CCP because the bad mouthing a political party is not a crime under HK law. If HK can have a extradition treaty with countries like Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, what is so special about extradition to China?

So, it has to be related to "anything but China" kind of mentality. 

• Praise 1

Why not ?? The amount of money that is still coming out from China is crazy . There are lots of ways to get money out and it does not really cost much these days as compared to what those underground money changer charges previously .

Hmm ok.

Cos my good friend who bought property in china with his brother working there for years, says that capital removal has to be slow.

And anecdotally, my dad's friend who own companies in china also says the same thing.

The bill only covers 37 types of serious crimes, which could result in a longer than 7 year of imprisonment. To qualify for extradition, the crime committed needs to be categorized as crime under HK law. The bill could not extradite a person back to mainland China because he bad mouthed CCP because the bad mouthing a political party is not a crime under HK law. If HK can have a extradition treaty with countries like Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, what is so special about extradition to China?

It's nothing special lah. TBH.

If the chinese govt really want to fix you, they will just outright abduct you back across the border. 

Look at the ways we have here to fix someone. Already so many ... and it's really small house meet big house compared to them  [laugh]

Try telling her

Lol honestly, i don't pay any attention to her. 

i spoke to a counselor, there are 2 rebellious stage and everyone thought it was 16-18 and maybe late 30 but we were all wrong.

the correct answer is 4-5 and 12-13   [laugh]  [laugh]

I agree that 12-13 is a really bad time. 

Both my kids were very rebellious at that age.

The younger one is 14, and is still very markedly more rebellious than when he was in pri sch. 

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3014144/extradition-row-erodes-confidence-hong-kong-singapore-looking?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1sYswpb6DaxxGecYuNxCdeayN2iCy5hdemiMbIHQWOBRyjC-DArfMEH3U#Echobox=1560402382

The younger one is 14, and is still very markedly more rebellious than when he was in pri sch. 

better that age compared to when older. 

haha or else suddenly u find out u maybe a grandfather  [laugh]

POV from a Taiwanese

taiwanese news channel must be having a field day discussing this.

Supersonic

You speak bad about me, I can just accuse you of one of those 37 crimes.

You speak bad about me, I can just accuse you of one of those 37 crimes.

Ah.. The book seller that teleported to China..

(edited)

Never instruct or order children what to do. They need to develop critical thinking skill, which include the rational, skeptical , unbiased analysis, or evaluation of factual evidence. Critical thinking is self-directed, self disciplined, self monitored and self-corrective thinking.

Edited by Odyssey2011
↡ Advertisement